BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus
Default Podcast sort order, and pausing

Please Login to Remove!

I'm running OS6.0.0.448 on a 9780. I copied some mp3 files into the podcasts folder on the phone, and they work fine in the podcast app, except for the sort order.

I can sort in ascending or descending date order, but what I need is name order. The dates and times are all over the place, so any kind of date/time order is useless.

I ended up fixing it by using a program on the PC to adjust all the dates and times to be in the right order.

Does anyone else think this is a silly way thing to be missing from the program?

I'm also a bit perplexed about how to use the app. If I press the mute key to pause the podcast, I can use other programs for a while and go back to the podcast, and it'll be as I left it. But if I leave it for a few hours, the program has closed itself, and doesn't even remember which podcast it's up to. It does at least remember the position in the file.

Is there away to get it to stay running, or to remember what it was doing?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Podcast sort order, and pausing

Not sure it is silly either way.

I don't see why you bothered to put the files in the podcast folder in the first place. I would have played them from where there were to begin with using the media player, and sorted on artist, filename, or whatever was needed. In fact, you can do that now, even with the files in the podcast folder.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
adperdue

PIN: wheel
Carrier: ATT

Also, BB podcasts is a fine FREE program, it will lack features that are found in paid apps.

I personally recommend PodTrapper, from Versatile Monkey. A better podcatcher cannot be found, it will even imitate iTunes for iTunes omly podcasts, it will remember where you left off, not just on the cast your listening to, but every podcast, and every episode of every cast.

They have a trial, give it a shot. I tried the trial for less than 24 hours before purchasing, that was all I needed to know I found a winner, and I haven't regretted this decision for the last two years.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I don't see why you bothered to put the files in the podcast folder in the first place. I would have played them from where there were to begin with using the media player, and sorted on artist, filename, or whatever was needed. In fact, you can do that now, even with the files in the podcast folder.
The media player won't remember where I'm up to if the app closes, or if I pause a track and play another one. The tracks are chapters of books, so if I lose my place, it'll take ages to work out where I was up to.

Now that I've fixed the date/times on the tracks I can cope ok, but before that it was a bit confusing, I couldn't work out what chapter I'd been listening to.

This will do for now, but I do think if they're going to include a podcast player, it ought to be able to sort by name. I'll just have to remember to download them in the right order next time.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adperdue View Post
Also, BB podcasts is a fine FREE program, it will lack features that are found in paid apps.

I personally recommend PodTrapper, from Versatile Monkey. A better podcatcher cannot be found, it will even imitate iTunes for iTunes omly podcasts, it will remember where you left off, not just on the cast your listening to, but every podcast, and every episode of every cast.

They have a trial, give it a shot. I tried the trial for less than 24 hours before purchasing, that was all I needed to know I found a winner, and I haven't regretted this decision for the last two years.
If the native app still gives me grief now that I've got the files in order, I'll give that a go.

Incidentally, I used Ztree to fix the times on the files. It has a time increment function that I never knew was there.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

in my experience the podcasts app doesn't remember where it was paused when it is closed. Maybe I missed something.