Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
jpcalhoun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Has Anyone Been Successful?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, just wondering. After reading most of the threads about upgrading to OS 4.5 I was wondering if ANYONE has been successful down loading, from the Verizon site, and installing OS 4.5.77 and Desktop Manager 4.5. Maybe I've missed one, but I haven't found one yet without issues. If you've been successful please tell us Verizon owners how you did it!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
johnlatessa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPh 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
Ok, just wondering. After reading most of the threads about upgrading to OS 4.5 I was wondering if ANYONE has been successful down loading, from the Verizon site, and installing OS 4.5.77 and Desktop Manager 4.5. Maybe I've missed one, but I haven't found one yet without issues. If you've been successful please tell us Verizon owners how you did it!
If you're not having any luck with the Verizon site, use one of the other providers' sites. They're the same packages. Just remember to delete the Vendor.xml file before you upgrade.

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\App Loader\vendor.xml
Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming

I had a couple of minor issues, both of which I was able to easily recover from:
  1. Viigo (2.x) was unable to login after re-supplying my credentials. I got a cryptic error message referring to "IsValidOldAccountID" - apparently an internal module name. Some quick research yielded not information. This was all the incentive I needed to remove Viigo and install the 3.x beta instead (something I was considering doing before the OS update), which when smoothly.
  2. Google Sync initially failed to sync after re-supplying my credentials, but has synced fine since.
  3. I lost all the data for the web shortcuts I had installed on my desktop from http://m.jonathanfisher.co.uk/webshortcuts. Since Viigo has basically replaced what I was using this for (shortcuts to Google Reader, Google News, and a weather shortcut), it was no great loss - at least for now

What steps did I take that ended up going so smoothly?
  1. Download the OS update from Smith Micro's VZW web site, at a dialup-like pace
  2. Verify that DM 4.5 (multi-language, 276MB) was the latest offered on that site. Not wanting to wait a week to download at my previous pace, I then downloaded DM 4.5 (English only, no media manager, about 65MB) from the Blackberry site
  3. Installed DM 4.5 and rebooted
  4. Installed OS 4.5.x and rebooted
  5. Started DM, connected my device, and proceeded to upgrade when prompted
  6. At one screen at the beginning of the update process I selected "Advanced" and then unchecked the things I knew I didn't want - Spanish and French - and check what I did want - Docs to Go.
  7. Watch many progress bars come and go, trying to maintain my sanity and composure while my kids yelled and screamed at professional wrestling in the next room
  8. Wait, with increasing anxiety, my eyes bouncing between hte "Connecting to device" message, the progress bar that seemed stalled, and the spinning hourglass on my BB display
  9. Then suddenly, it was done (I don't remember the message)

A couple of notes:
  1. Since this was an official release from Verizon for my Verizon device, I DID NOT delete the vendor.xml file, since this specific instruction seems targeted at users installing an OS not officially released by their carrier
  2. I recently rebuilt my PC from scratch, which left less chance for undesireable interaction from other apps
  3. I do not have VZ Access Manager installed.

From what I've read, I don't think I did anything remarkable, but I felt like I should respond, since I think the underlying idea behind the OP's post is correct - people don't usually report success, only failure accompanied by a plee for help, which can scare off many people.

Last edited by UncleMike; 11-04-2008 at 11:36 AM..
Old 11-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
jpcalhoun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Default Thanks

Johnlatessa and UncleMike...thanks for your input...I'll give it a try.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
Johnlatessa and UncleMike...thanks for your input...I'll give it a try.
I pulled it off with absolutely no issues with my fiancee's Verizon 8330 and 4.5.0.77 back when it was still beta before the official Verizon release. Used the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum for installing new OS releases, had no issues at all. Now that its been released by Verizon, the other poster is correct - only difference now is you don't have to delete the vendor.xml file if you're using the Verizon download.
Closed Thread