BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 02-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Default limited number of WiFi profiles

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know, why there is such a low limit of the number of Wifi profiles, the device is able to save ?
These are just a few bytes to store, this cant be a memory problem, so its either just braindead programming to use a 5bit pointer for the index of the profiles, or some technical reason I do not understand.

Does anyone know a workaround ? This is really annoying - i have to save my wifi profiles in a text file and, if needed connect manually.

Thanks
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 02-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: limited number of WiFi profiles

How many do you have saved?

What are you seeing that indicates there is a limit? Is the limit documented?

I've had a number of saved profiles at one time or another. I wouldn't say a large number. But I'm not aware there is any limit, not practically speaking, anyway.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
nobody7290

At exactly 32 (5 bit) entries, the 9700 refuses to accept more.
The profile will be saved temoprarily. But after 24hrs it will be forgotten.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I've never saved near that many profiles, and I'm not using OS6.

I did a quick search and so far haven't seen anything that suggests there is a limit (except your post, of course).

I would guess you've tried a hard reset, but gotta ask....

Also, I would guess you've tested by deleting a profile then saving the new profile?

I suspect there is something else at issue rather than a hard numerical limit on the number of save profiles. In particular, it sounds from your description that there is no error, just the profile doesn't stay saved. I would expect that if there is an imposed numerical limit there would be an error message of some kind.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
nobody7290

Of course, a message pops up, saying just this:
"The maximum allowed number of active profiles has been reached. This profile will be disabled".

In previous versions of OS6 (and 5) a message popped up, that, because the maximum profiles limit has been reached, this profile cannot be saved.

--------

hmhm, I dont think 32 profiles are that much. Wherever I go and, get a password, I save it, Also, I have some customers profiles saved.
This alone is more then 32 in my small home town.

I dont save open networks or HotSpots, because these are open anyway, or you have to supply credentials.
These are Networks with a strong password. I dont like to punch in a combination like "23948fjkd§dkxdhj2" everytime I go somewhere.
If the network is saved, the BB will just connect. This is, what I would expect in terms of a good user experience.

you might need 128 bytes to store a network profile. Storing 1024 profiles will eat 128KBytes of the memory. A simple application for the BB will be about 500KBytes, so there is no reason to limit the profiles to 32 entries.
Comparing the currently Broadcasted SSIDs to the stored profiles every 2 Minutes should also not take forever.

But, if I am the only Blackberry user which needs more then 32 Wifi Profiles, I think I cant expect a fix within the next years.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ahhhh, new info. So, I understand now that there really is a limit. That surprises me.