DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
Doing a "Google search" does not constitute any sort of justifiable data. The iPhone is THE number 1 phone that people love to hate on, and as such, forums are full of topics with simple statements, such as; "The iPhone's battery life sucks." Many of these statements are made by people that have never used one, don't know jack about one, and have no grounds to make that comment.
OK, I get it - that would be like this thread - where a statement was made by a person who has never used a Bold, doesn't know jack about one, and has no grounds to make that comment, but with ZERO knowledge starts a thread titled "(Bold) Battery Life... Sucks" which is now listed within the top few results on Google today. OK, thanks, I think I understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettochild View Post
You just have a hard time staying on-topic, don't you? Yet another rant involving the iPhone which isn't what I'm interested in.
If you're suffering under the delusion that I give a damn about what you're interested in, you should re-evaluate your thoughts.

Last edited by DallasFlier; 05-29-2008 at 11:32 PM..
Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #62
enrich2u
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Exclamation

Turn my phone off. This is probably the most effective and simplest way of conserving my battery’s power. If I don't plan on answering the phone while I'm sleeping or after business hours, I just turn it off..
Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #63
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
OK, I get it - that would be like this thread - where a statement was made by a person who has never used a Bold, doesn't know jack about one, and has no grounds to make that comment, but with ZERO knowledge starts a thread titled "(Bold) Battery Life... Sucks" which is now listed within the top few results on Google today. OK, thanks, I think I understand.
I guarantee you that there are fewer (thousands of times over) topics or comments made about BlackBerry and bad battery life just due to the lesser (consumer) popularity of it....

Ya know what, this just isn't worth it. Think whatever you want.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 AM   #64
ghettochild

Model: n/a
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post

If you're suffering under the delusion that I give a damn about what you're interested in, you should re-evaluate your thoughts.
How sad you are.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #65
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

The phones software plays a very large part of battery conservation. I would suspect the 3G radio is ramped down when just waiting for a call or in standby. How well the software handles this is important.

Thjere is no magic with L-Ion battery technology. The get a higher capacity battery in a device you need to increase it's size. The iPhone is pretty thin and if they just increased the thickness by 50% the phone size would still be acceptable and you could bring battery capacity way up.

I do not think either RIM or Apple have not spent alot of R&D on the 3G battery problem. It will not take a day the bad news to get out about either phone if the battery life is not good!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #66
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

At the ATT I work in

HTC TILT has te most complaints about battery life

treo has second most

Razor is third

iPhone 4th

BB falls about 12th on the list

this was a very informal "study" done in our store where each day reps would jot down daily the phones that customers came in with battery complaints. This took place over a 30 day period.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #67
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Someone told me that the Blackjack battery life was so bad that the mfg started giving you an extra battery in the box from the factory!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #68
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Someone told me that the Blackjack battery life was so bad that the mfg started giving you an extra battery in the box from the factory!
Ez great post..

Greg I hjad heard that as well about the BJ
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #69
CMatthews
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800

Quote:
The iPhone is pretty thin and if they just increased the thickness by 50% the phone size would still be acceptable and you could bring battery capacity way up.
I have thought this for a while, even just 2-4mm thicker would've allowed more battery, but I have also thought the same thing about several other phones.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #70
CMatthews
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800

Quote:
Blackjack battery life was also terrible due to Windows Mobile, I carried it for a short while regular battery rarely made it through the day, and I'm not in a 3g area. Motorola does the same thing with the Q9, and I'm glad they do, they regular battery is usually all I need, but then there are times where the extended battery comes in handy.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #71
BryanHarig

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
They were right. 1st generation 3g radio + slim device + Windows Mobile made for truely pathetic battery life. The BlackJack2 is a good improvement though, the newer 3g radio and a battery double the size of the old one make it pretty respectable for battery life.

To the rest of the thread:

iPhone - has pretty good battery life. Not as good as a blackberry though. It is a slim phone with a huge screen, wifi and a music player that most people use a lot. Of course it isnt going to offer the same battery life as a BB. It does have enough to get most people through a day though. That was Apple's goal and I am sure they will design the iPhone 2.0 to be able to get an average user through the day as well.

Bold - If RIM is quoting 5 hours talk time then we have nothing to worry about. The 8300 and 8800 were rated for 4 and 5 hours talk time respectively. I think most people here would agree those 2 devices had ample battery life. If the Bold is just as good stock we should have no problems. Once Seidio makes a stock sized extended battery we can get a 10-15% boost there as well.

All the sniping and argument - What happened to the moderation in this place? All the snarkyness and comebacks and internet tough guy posting really takes away from the usefulness of this place.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #72
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
At the ATT I work in

HTC TILT has te most complaints about battery life

treo has second most

Razor is third

iPhone 4th

BB falls about 12th on the list

this was a very informal "study" done in our store where each day reps would jot down daily the phones that customers came in with battery complaints. This took place over a 30 day period.

I was going from memory th blackjack is up there as well and the 1st generation did start coming with an additional battery.

The Blackjack 2 comes only with the extended battery
Old 05-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #73
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

The thing that kills the iPhone in the battery discussion is overuse. Most people aren't very tech savvy, and they don't understand that backlight brightness, the longer the screen is on, WiFi being always on, etc; all affect battery life in a HUGE way. These are the same people that watch a 2.5 hour movie on their iPhone using the built in speakers instead of headphones, with the equalizer on, at full backlight, with WiFi on, and then complain when it eats half their battery.

The iPhone is also a "new and exciting" phone that lots of people buy and they can't stop playing with certain things, especially the web. Lo and behold, after 3-4 straight hours of WiFi web browsing with music playing in the background at full backlight, the batter is half dead... Time to complain....

Then you have a person like myself. I know about mobile tech and battery life. The first things I did were to reduce the backlight to about 1/4 of full, turn off WiFi unless I am IN a hotspot and even then, I only turn it on when I am using it, etc. In other words, I am battery conscious. Guess what that lead to... During a day of spread out use including 2-3 hours of web, 1-2 hours of calls, checking email every 30 minutes, 20-50 SMS messages, some music and some video; I would plug the device in at 10-11pm with about 30-40% battery left. On the days where I would end up plugging it in with <20% battery left, I would check the built in usage/standby counter. The standby counter would always be very high, like 14-15 hours or whatever, and the USAGE counter would ALWAYS show 6-7 hours of physical, hands on USE. I'd say that is pretty good.

Little tweaks go a LONG way on a mobile device with such a huge (relatively) screen, only the common public doesn't know this, and instead of learning about it, they complain about it.

Oh, by the way.... I had two phone calls on my Curve yesterday, and both lasted about an hour. The only other usage I put in was a couple of SMS messages, and my battery was at 50%. I guess that means my Curve has sucktastic battery life, huh? No, not quite. Instead of my usual day where I have 10 - 12 minutes calls spread out, I had all 120 minutes in 2 large chunks, so I saw what was normally a full days battery use in 2 hours, and it left me with 50% battery far more quickly than usual.

Now, make someone that doesn't have a clue about the common sense fashion in which this stuff works, understand what happened in my situation, and I will give you a cookie. Chances are you can't, and that person will run off and complain about bad battery life.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #74
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post

Now, make someone that doesn't have a clue about the common sense fashion in which this stuff works, understand what happened in my situation, and I will give you a cookie. Chances are you can't, and that person will run off and complain about bad battery life.
That was a very long way of saying what has been said in this thread over and over (and over): When it comes to battery life, the iPhone sucks. Blackberries are better. That's the takehome message here. (how's the cookie taste?)
Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #75
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
That was a very long way of saying what has been said in this thread over and over (and over): When it comes to battery life, the iPhone sucks. Blackberries are better. That's the takehome message here. (how's the cookie taste?)
Do you have any reading comprehension ability? That isn't what I said in any way, shape, or form.

Let me simplify it to terms you might be able to understand.

When I had an iPhone, my battery would be around 20-30% after 6-7 hours of real, actual USE. Not standby, not just being on, but real USE, meaning web, calls, music, movies, SMS, etc.

With my Curve, after the same type of usage, I have pretty much the exact same battery life left. If I USE my Curve for 6-7 hours, I will have about 20-30% battery left, just like the iPhone.

Where, and how is that me saying the iPhone has bad battery life? All I said was that new iPhone users tend to play with them for long periods of time, equating to 6-7 hours of use far quicker than someone that uses it normally; as such, these people "think" they are getting poor battery life.

In other words. 6-7 straight hours of use equates to a 20-30% battery before 4-5pm, and makes people cry about bad battery life. 6-7 hours of use spread out normally over the course of the day equates to a 20% battery at 10-11pm and is good/normal battery use. It is identical with a BlackBerry. If you are constantly on your Berry for 6-7 straight hours, it is going to be near dead before 5pm just as an iPhone would. If you use it normally, it will last far longer through the day.

Most people's battery life complaints come from a lack of looking at use as it relates to time passed, especially with the iPhone.

Last edited by CrazEtooN; 05-30-2008 at 04:21 PM..
Old 06-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #76
BryanHarig

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Less then doesnt mean sucks. iPhone has sufficent battery life to get an average user through a day. Under the same usage a Blackberry Curve will last longer. Having less total battery life is one tradeoff that comes with the iPhone. Just like the inferior BB web browser is one tradeoff that comes with the BB.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #77
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
It's funny how they estimate the battery life but usually omit the battery capacity's mAh, which is generally all you need to know about battery life. I mean nobody I know talks for 5 hours straight or puts it on standby for 12 days straight. It's like saying a car will idle for 6 months on a tank of gas. Because users are all different wrt what they use the phone for the estimates are pretty useless. More mAh=more cowbell. Just tell me the battery capacity and I'll take it from there thanks.
it also depends on the device. I have 1400 mah in my cell phone, and it still lasts less than my BB Curve. The curve had what? 1000mah? The device itself uses more power, so it doesn't only depend on the battery. My mothers phone has 700mah and it lasts for 3 or 4 days with normal use, but since it doesn't do anything special, and probably has a crap processor (but sufficient to call and write SMS, it's great).

Conclusion --> Depends on device, radio build and battery.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #78
br0nx finest

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

doesn't matter to me..i usually keep a spare battery on the dock and if i know i'll be out the house more than 6 hrs, i'll just throw it in my pocket.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #79
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0nx finest View Post
doesn't matter to me..i usually keep a spare battery on the dock and if i know i'll be out the house more than 6 hrs, i'll just throw it in my pocket.
It wouldn't bother you to shell out $350+ for a phone and then have to purchase a spare battery just to get through the day?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #80
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post
It wouldn't bother you to shell out $350+ for a phone and then have to purchase a spare battery just to get through the day?
I sure would not like it. I have been using Blackberrys for many years now and never had to worry about running out of power. I want to get thru my day and charge it at night. Do not want to carry a spare battery. I trust that no matter what RIM will deliever a device that will do this, even a 3G device.
Closed Thread