BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Question Blackberry Browser vs Internet Browser ??

Please Login to Remove!

When I go into the browser options on my 9530, it appears that I have 2 choices for a browser: Blackberry Browser, or Internet Browser.

I have searched here. I have looked in the browser Help that is on my phone. I have checked the Storm owner's manual.

I cannot find anything that really tells me what the difference between the two is.

I can see that, under BBB, I don't get an option to set my default search provider. But under the IB, I do, and it's set to Google.

Under the BBB, the Home Page Address is http://mobile.blackberry.com/

and under the IB, the Home Page Address is http://converge.vzwwap.com

Other than that, I can see no difference at all in the settings or options.

In use, the only difference I can tell is that, if I use the BBB, I notice a picture on a page that is displayed very clearly, but if I visit the same page using the IB, the picture is displayed very blurry. Or maybe I have which is which reversed, but anyway...

I choose which one to use by going into the Browser Options/General Properties, and setting the Default Browser.

My Storm is hooked to the MailStreet BES (my hosted Exchange provider).

Can any of you tell me what the difference is between these browsers?
Verizon 9550
Old 12-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
soupandsandwich

BlackBerry Browser is the BES MDS Browser, and web traffic is routed through your BES using MDS connection services.

Internet Browser is your carrier's WAP browser, and web traffic is routed over your carrier's network.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the reply. But, what I really want to know is what differences I will SEE between them, so I can figure out which one I should use.

Your description makes it sound like I should use the IB. The BBB is the one that displayed the really fuzzy version of images. I just confirmed that. So, I should assume that the BES MDS is compressing images, to the point of illegibility, for me in order to make my page load faster?

Under Options/General Properties, I do have both browsers set for Image Quality: High.

Is there any other difference in the way web pages would display?
Verizon 9550
Closed Thread