BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:22 PM   #81
Sprout

Model: 1234

Please Login to Remove!

Wow! A Think Outside beta tester has posted to their forum that a Serial profile Stowaway for Blackberry is due out this month! If it were false, wouldn't the mods have removed it by now??

All you Freedom keyboard would-be purchasers: another option may well be in sight!

http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...fid=5&tid=1848
Old 10-31-2005, 02:47 PM   #82
jjoyner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Tmo
Default Folding keyboard already???

Ebay bluetooth keyboard....
Old 10-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #83
Sprout

Model: 1234

...that's the Freedom one I mentioned
Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 AM   #84
BadBoyBill

Model: 7250

I think they keyboard will rock. Some days i wonder anymore if im faster on my pc keyboard or they qwert on my bb.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #85
berry_boy

Model: 7200

I found this new site, http://www.bluekeyboard.com . The keyboard is now distributed by Xema. There are new software drivers available for the Blackberry.

Last edited by berry_boy; 11-11-2005 at 03:48 PM..
Old 11-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #86
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by i robot
I got this email from 'Thinkoutside' regarding a new bluetooth keyboard

Thank you for your inquiry's regarding a Bluetooth Keyboard specific to RIM devices.

Think Outside has announced the Bluetooth Keyboard for RIM Devices.

Press Release
http://www.thinkoutside.com/press.asp?y=2005&t=PR

This device is now available to Pre-Order. Details and Compatibility can be found here:
http://www.thinkoutside.com/products...t_product.html

Please let me know if we can be of any assistance.

The links are credible
At first glance, it looks like just another clone of the Freedom Keyboard/MyMobileGear keyboard.

However, upon close inspection, it is a totally different keyboard, it uses bigger keys, a smaller bezel, and a different latching mechanism at the left/right, and there is no ON/OFF switch (the hinge is now the switch, like the other keyboard products)

It looks like this mey actually be a really good keyboard - I look forward to getting one of these, especially if the keys feel as good as a Thinkpad/DELL laptop just like the other excellent ThinkOutside keyboards. And I hope that the drivers are excellent. That would be the most important thing for me!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-24-2005 at 11:31 AM..
Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #87
greenhairedcheese

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question

I would greatly appreciate an external bluetooth keyboard. I have a 7105t and I use MSN Messenger quite often, and my friends complain that I type slow. That may not be the fault of the key-pad--maybe it's the server--regardless, that BT keyboard would be an excellent purchace!
A little side-note, is there a free download of an MSN compatible IM, that does NOT use a server, in turn making message turn-over a lot faster??

I reviewed the links posted above, and the compatibility for that keyboard didn't match my device, it worked for what seemed loke all the 71XX series devices. . .is there one available for the 7105t? or have I not looked hard enough?

Thanks a whole lot.

Last edited by greenhairedcheese; 12-28-2005 at 10:17 AM..
Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #88
greenhairedcheese

*N-M*

Last edited by greenhairedcheese; 12-28-2005 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: *unnecessary*
Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #89
Blackberry fiend
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

The Think Outside Shasta keyboard does not work with the Blackberry 7130e, according to the company. They might need some encouragement ...
Old 01-17-2006, 07:00 PM   #90
Bradhar911

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolyt
I just got the 7100i and a freedom keyboard. It was somewhat a pain to install, but I got it to "work" so to speak. I can use the HOME and FN keys with a number but nothing else?? Anyone else have this problem?

Had the same problem and couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried.. sent it back to Nextel the next day
Old 01-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #91
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

have any anyone tried the MMG driver with your 7100i or 8700? they show the 7100i as one of several new supported device and giving it away to use with BK600 keyboards which is the same as the Freedom and the Bluekeyboard. wonder if they have the same problem as the Freedom drivers with the new devices. you should check it out its free.

oh btw, I ordered my Shasta keyboard a few days ago. ups says it should be at my home. will let you know what how it works tomorrow if its in.

Last edited by mauiboy; 01-19-2006 at 07:27 PM..
Old 01-20-2006, 01:14 AM   #92
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Got my Shasta keyboard today. Wow… talk about premium compared to competition standard models. The look and feel of this Shasta keyboard will be hard to beat. Nice full size keys and rugged design. Hardware is impeccable. I borrowed some device from the work place to test out this new keyboard. I tried to prepare a comparison between the Shasta and my MMG that I got about 5 months ago. To be unbiased I just list the features in the manual and my observations using both while trying to see how well they let me do what the keys on the BlackBerry does.

Stuff I got from the docs............................Shasta............ .MMG
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hotkey (open phone app.)..........................Yes................ .Yes
Hotkey(auto dial number)........................... No.................Yes
ESC key (Escape).....................................Yes.. ...............Yes
Arrow keys.............................................. ..Yes.................Yes
Menu key (open menu)...............................Yes........... ......Yes
Shift + thumb wheel (highlight characters)....No.................Yes
Press and hold key (Upper case).................No.................Yes
Repeating characters..................................Yes... ..............Yes
Disable repeating characters........................No.............. ...Yes
Number of programmable hotkeys.................8.................20+
Turn on backlight when key is press.............Yes.................Yes
Backlight brightness adjustment hotkey........No...................Yes
Special symbols.........................................Al tGr + key......Hotkey
Ctrl + X/C/V (Cut/Copy/Paste)......................No.................Yes
Key tone simulation....................................No.. ...............Yes
Key tone volume adjustment........................No.............. ...Yes

Different Blackberry issues
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character input lag......................................Yes...... ...........Yes
Number keys work in phone app...................No.................Yes
Number keys open phone app......................No.................Yes

7100i
Character input lag.....................................Yes....... ..........Yes
Number keys work in phone app..................Yes.................Yes

8700c
Character input lag.....................................Better.... .............Better
Number keys work in phone app..................Yes.................Yes

My Conclusion:

I like typing on the Shasta with its full size keys. My typing is not impressive so it harder to press the wrong keys. :>) Both have that dreaded lagging problem that gets better with the newer blackberry devices like the 8700 and they both function well enough as input devices. So if you have big hand then you better off getting the Shasta. If you don’t mind slightly small keys but want a keyboard that seems more complete in their drivers then that might be the MMG. And if you’re one them “boys with toys person” you might get them both. Hahahaha… just kidding I get them through work since we work with PDA devices every day. I can’t wait till the boss say it’s ok to get one of them Virtual Keyboard to play with.

Last edited by mauiboy; 01-20-2006 at 01:26 AM..
Old 01-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #93
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Check this out. I have now posted a review of the two keyboards:

REVIEW: Two External Bluetooth Keyboards
[ThinkOutside Shasta] + [Freedom Keyboard]

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 01-20-2006 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #94
SapperLeader

Carrier: Verizon

Mauiboy,

In your review you give the impression that the Shasta keyboard works with a 8700 but in Mark's review he says he is wating for a 8700 driver before he can test it, which is correct?

Does the Shasta (ThinkOutside) work with the 8700 or are we still waiting for a driver?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #95
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

SapperLeader,

In my test it seems to be working ok. I tested it with a 8700c that was not connected to the BES. was able to pair/connect through TO's driver and type from Memo.

It could be that TO has not officially released the shasta for 8700 but it worked for me.

hope this helps...
Old 01-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #96
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Hi,

I think mine's a IT Policy issue. It used to be on a BES, but as this is my BlackBerry 8700r, the IT policy was removed after taking it off the BES. However, I have an inability to set the following:
Security Options -> Application Permissions -> Stowaway Shasta -> Interactions -> Keystroke Injection -> "Allow"

It stubbornly stays at "Deny" (the only selectable option for this)

Security policy was removed by a BES 4.0 policy.bin file. I think there probably is a new BES 4.1 setting regarding keystroke injection, and I somehow need to push a new policy.bin file to my BlackBerry. I'm still trying to figure this out...

(I'm not even 100% sure it is an IT Policy issue, but this is the best theory I can come up with right now.)
Old 01-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #97
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Mark,

if you figure this out, please post a solution. we have another 8700r that is nolonger connected to the BES but it has the same problem you're having with Injector policy. I'd like to get this resolved so I can try the keyboards on it.

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #98
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

FYI,

I just received a alpha version of MMG's KeyPro-Shasta Edition. its a spin-off of their KeyPro-Professional BlackBerry drivers for the (BK600) if you didn't know, the Freedom / Bluekeyboard / Smart Keyboard are all BK600 keyboards. Works good for an alpha version. +10x more features than the ThinkOutside Shasta drivers. check them out they are giving free-trials. be aware though its alpha version. the beta should be out in a week or so.

for got to give the link:

http://www.mymobilegear.com/shasta_free_trial.html

Last edited by mauiboy; 02-20-2006 at 12:44 PM..
Old 02-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #99
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Hi,

I think mine's a IT Policy issue. It used to be on a BES, but as this is my BlackBerry 8700r, the IT policy was removed after taking it off the BES. However, I have an inability to set the following:
Security Options -> Application Permissions -> Stowaway Shasta -> Interactions -> Keystroke Injection -> "Allow"

It stubbornly stays at "Deny" (the only selectable option for this)

Security policy was removed by a BES 4.0 policy.bin file. I think there probably is a new BES 4.1 setting regarding keystroke injection, and I somehow need to push a new policy.bin file to my BlackBerry. I'm still trying to figure this out...

(I'm not even 100% sure it is an IT Policy issue, but this is the best theory I can come up with right now.)
It is not an IT policy issue, it is an Application Policy issue. These type of policy is different from IT policy. You can configure application policies in the Handheld Configuration Tool on the BES. To get rid of the application you need to reconnect your BB to a BES and configure an empty IT Policy and create a new application policy. In the application policy you have to allow everything. After these policies are pushed to the device, you will be able to configure "Keystroke Injection".
If you have access to an Exchange/Notes or Groupwise server you could install a trial BES using the free trial version offered by RIM.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 AM   #100
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

FYI - MMG released their version of the ThinkOutside BlackBerry Shasta drivers. They are actually giving away the driver if you purchase the Shasta from their website. This is a cool deal, I bought the Shasta from I think it was shops.com ended up paying about $94 with shipping. I got a copy of the driver from MMG. I’ve been using it just under a week. Their driver actually works much better than the ThinkOutside driver. But check it out for yourself; go try the 30-day free-trial of the Shasta driver.

http://www.mymobilegear.com/
Closed Thread