Model: Many
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Every Carrier
Default Activation stuck on Contacting Server

Please Login to Remove!

I am trying to activate two phones on the BES, both of them get stuck on:

Activating email
Contacting server...

The error message is, "The BlackBerry Enterprise Server has not responded to your activation request"

2 Different Phones - a Curve and a Torch 9800
2 Different Carriers
2 Different Email addresses
BES service active on both phone carriers

Blackberry Manager 4.1.4.15

There are 10 or so accounts already setup on the BES, but I didn't set those ones up. I inherited this admin task from someone else, and have never used it before.

Is there a link that has the exact steps I need to take to setup a new user from beginning to end? All I have done is add the email in the manager and set an activation password. Then I try to go to the enterprise activation on the phone, and that's where it runs into problems. I haven't seen this mythical .dat file either. Is it supposed to show up under messages?

I would greatly appreciate any help, I'm getting quite frustrated with this.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: Activation stuck on Contacting Server

KB13852-Identifying and troubleshooting issues with the enterprise activation process
Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Nickguy

Thanks! That article is exactly what I needed... but I'm still stuck.

In the KB13850 article it says:

1. The ETP.DAT message is sent to the BlackBerry Infrastructure, which forwards it to the email address that was specified in the Enterprise Activation section.
2. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server, which monitors the BlackBerry smartphone user's mailbox, picks up the ETP.DAT message. The wireless enterprise activation process begins.
3. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server sends the acknowledgment and encryption information to the BlackBerry smartphone.
4. The IT policy is sent to the BlackBerry smartphone.
5. When the BlackBerry Enterprise Server verifies that the IT policy has been applied successfully, it sends the required service books to the BlackBerry smartphone.
6. When the BlackBerry Enterprise Server sends all the required information to the BlackBerry smartphone. The following message appears on the BlackBerry smartphone.
Your email address mailto:user@domain.tld is now enabled

It seems to me that it is failing Step 1 or 2. Once it is in the mailbox I should be able to see it in Outlook right?

So I am going through the KB13458 article

It lists these two possible error messages:
1. The server is not responding. Please contact your System Administrator.
2. An error has occurred. Please contact your System Administrator.

My error message is "The BlackBerry Enterprise Server has not responded to your activation request. An error may have occurred." I'm operating under the assumption that my error is the same as the other two, despite the different wording. Am I wrong? I don't want to troubleshoot the wrong issue. (And I'm glad that the message informed me that "there may have been an error". The Blackberry isn't even sure what's going on.)
Old 06-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Nickguy

Couple more questions:

I get this error when I open Blackberry Manager "Failed to open the default message store using the MAPI Profile "BlackBerryManager". Please review the log for details. you will not be able to send messages from Blackberry by email." Is this related?

Cause 4
The ETP.dat message has been deleted or modified, or is not accessible on the Microsoft Exchange server.

In a Microsoft Exchange environment, one of the following issues may occur:

Email messages are sent to the BlackBerry smartphone PST folder; therefore, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server cannot access the enterprise (ETP.dat) activation message.
The ETP.dat activation message is deleted or modified by an anti-virus application or message blocking software.
The ETP.dat message is unaltered in the BlackBerry smartphone user's inbox, but the BlackBerry Enterprise Server does not retrieve it.

Resolution 4
Verify whether changes are made to the ETP.dat message. How?
Send the BlackBerry smartphone user a blank .dat file from an external email address.How? - If it's not connected to the BES, how can it receive any messages?
Confirm whether the BlackBerry smartphone user can forward the file back to the external email address.
Closed Thread