Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
Helomaniac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T
Default New Torch won't operate after switch

Please Login to Remove!

I'm one of the dedicated holdouts of the 9810 Torch. I've been holding on to a new one for when my current phone finally gives out and that day is coming soon. I tried to switch phones so I updated my desktop software, backed up my current phone and then tried to switch data to the new 9810. Once the transfer was complete I couldn't get the new phone to work or even get back to the home page. All I can get is a list of apps and every time I hit the cursor while hovering over any app I get the message "ActivationService. closeActivationApp' not found. I can't get off this screen, can anyone help me? Thank you.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: New Torch won't operate after switch

try these links

KB33595-What variables are available in the Activation Message template in BlackBerry Device Service

KB32176-"Your device cannot be activated at this time. Please try again later or contact your administrator", message appears when attempting to activate a device to the Universal Device Service
Old 03-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

@Helomaniac Did you figure it out?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Helomaniac
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am afraid neither link helped me. I wish I could put a picture of the screen I'm getting when I try to boot up. I get a list of apps on a white background and I can do nothing with that screen. If I hit enter while hovering over an app I get a message say "activationService.close ActivationApp' not found. I cannot get off this screen. I am working with BIS not BES. Thank you both
Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The error I don't know. I searched and didn't find anything.

About the display, I wonder if you just have no theme selected. If you have keyboard shortcuts enabled then you may be able to get to options by press the O key. If so, then navigate to the theme settings and select a theme....assuming I'm right.

If that is not it, or you fix the theme but still get the error, then I don't know what else to do but do a clean OS reinstall.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
Helomaniac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you aiharkness. The shortcut didn't work, I would like to try an OS reinstall but not sure how since I can't navigate the device at all. When I first plugged in the new torch to upload all data from my previous one the new phone had a home page and everything appeared normal. After the transfer had been completed is when I lost control of the handheld. The top of the existing screen display shows "Blackberry Platform 5.0.0.469. Do you know if I can dump and replace the OS from Desktop Software? Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

See KB11320-How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry 7.1 and earlier using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows That applies to using the Desktop Software.

You may also want to look at KB27956-How to recover a BlackBerry smartphone from any state which is an alternate method.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Helomaniac
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll work on that and let you know how it goes, thank you very much for the suggestions.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #9
Helomaniac
Thumbs Must Hurt

aiharkness you are a genius! Thank you very much for the advice and the link, reloading the OS worked like a charm. I'm now hoping to keep my Torch in service until the new slider becomes available at a decent price. I can't imagine why BB ever gave up on the Torch, it's such a perfect device I can only imagine how nice it would be with an updated OS. Many thanks.
Closed Thread