Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
smhumphries

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Urgent Help Needed With Bold 9930

Please Login to Remove!

Background: I am currently in Japan (have been since November) so my mobile wireless has been suspended so I utilize my WiFi router in my barracks room for a signal. It has allowed me to use internet, BBM, email, update date/time, etc so I have reliable communication with my wife and family back home in North Carolina.

Issue: Yesterday I was using the internet on my Bold 9930 and the website I was currently on froze. The power button wouldn't even shut it off so I removed the battery and reinstalled it for a cold boot. When it rebooted, nothing would work. The mouse/track pad, touch screen feature, nothing at all. Hold the BB key and it would bring up all 5 active applications. I did another battery removal/reinstallation and now everything works except for internet, BBM, date/time, email, etc. It is seeing my WiFi network and is connected to it, but that is about it. I don't have the BB icon on the top right which is normally under the signal icon. I tried to delete the WiFi network and then re-added it automatically. That didn't work. I deleted it again and manually entered it and that also did not work. I deleted it yet again and it automatically connected to it again, but still no BB icon and nothing has has updated (BBM, email, date/time, etc). I even tried to reset my WiFi router, but that had no effect.

I figured I would give it overnight to correct itself and it did not. I went to work and hoped that it would reconnect and update with no issues once I returned, which it sees the WiFi network and it did not. I just tried to remove and reinstall the battery again in hopes that it would work. The internet on the BB works now, but the date/time are not updating and still no BBM and still no email.

The reason this is a huge issue for me is because BBM is the primary means of me communicating with my extremely pregnant wife while I am gone on business. Any and all assistance will be most appreciated because I am in desperate need of step by step instructions. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: Urgent Help Needed With Bold 9930

If you suspended your account, you no longer have active BlackBerry services, and when you rebooted, your service books were finally lost. You will need to un-suspend your account or get Japanese service. Your best option is to get an iPhone, a SoftBank prepaid card from one of the vending machines on base, and load BBM there.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
smhumphries

Do you think that if I unsuspend the account, get it working again, then re-suspend it that the services will work again as long as I don't have to reboot the BB again?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I'm not sure if you will get the service books until you are back on your home carrier's network. You *might* get services restores if you us suspend your service temporarily but there is no way to be sure until you try.

I like the idea of using an iPhone on prepaid temporarily and getting your BBM on it. The newer BB10 BlackBerrys also wouldn't have an issue as they do not use a BIS plan.

Last edited by rambo47; 01-20-2014 at 12:42 AM..
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I'm not sure if you will get the service books until you are back on your home carrier's network. You *might* get services restores if you us suspend your service temporarily but there is no way to be sure until you try.

I like the idea of using an iPhone on prepaid temporarily and getting your BBM on it. The newer BB10 BlackBerrys also wouldn't have an issue as they do not use a BIS plan.
This is correct. You will not get service books unless you are on your home network.

An unlocked BB10 device with a SoftBank card would also work as well as rambo mentioned.

Further, beyond the fact that it won't work, un-suspending and re-suspending to get services for which you are not paying is dishonest, and I would think as a servicemember you'd have more integrity than that.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
smhumphries

Before I completely suspended my account I was on a roaming network out here so who knows. It may be worth a shot with no guarantees.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
smhumphries

Actually, when you unsuspend the account you pay for the roaming charges and reactivation so in essence I am not being dishonest. I am also still paying out the a$$ for the remaining lines on my account so while I appreciate the assistance and feedback I don't appreciate my integrity being questioned. Trust me...international roaming charges are NOT cheap...the first WEEK before I suspended my line I racked up $75 in roaming charges alone.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

I fully understand international roaming costs. I travel regularly. $75 is cheap compared to bills I've had. These days, there's no excuse for paying those rates though. Every carrier has prepaid packages to cover incidental and light roaming, and T-Mobile even offers free roaming for short trips.

Consider un-suspending your line when you next go on leave and add a package. International Plans and Pricing - Verizon Wireless

If you do choose to un-suspend, the reason you need to be on the Verizon network in order for it to activate is that it activates via the MEID of the CDMA radio, not the SIM card that is used for international roaming.

The easiest thing is to take our previous suggestions.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
smhumphries

So....on a whim to look at my calendar because I did not think that was affected at all I was checking my next appointments throughout the week. I noticed that the date set was June in 2015. I set the calendar to today's date manually and then all of a sudden everything is synced up and working again. Email, BBM, internet, date/time, etc. EVERYTHING! I would keep that in the back of your minds in case someone else runs into a similar problem.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Well, glad you got it sorted.