Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Cannot Rid My Computer Of Roxio Media Manager

Please Login to Remove!

It was installed with the Blackberry Desktop software... It's plaguing my PC... I'm going to copy and paste what I've communicated in another tech support forum that has thus far been unable to help me:

Is there a reputable program that removes all Roxio remants from your computer?

I never use Roxio Easy CD Creator... I use a program called CDBurnerXPPro....

Well I bought a Blackberry a few months back and installed thee Blackberry Desktop Software. With it came bundled a Roxio Media Manager... The software was junk from day 1... It took 9 tries to install the Roxio software appropriately... After installation, it crashed several times. Upon rebooting my computer, I discovered that several Roxio processes were running in the background and it would cause my Windows Explorer to crash (NOT RESPOND) and my computer would reboot to my deskstop wall paper with NO ICONS and NO TASKBAR... I would have to reboot into safe mode, try and disable the start-up processes through START > RUN > MSCONFIG, etc....

For awhile I was able to avoid this most annoying problem. A few weeks ago it resurfaced and I had to re-boot into safe mode maybe 5 or 6 times after unsuccessfully trying to remove all roxio elements from my computer....

Today I'm trying to rip an Audio CD of mine using CDBurnerXPPro (which I've used for several years) and as I'm loading that application my computer is trying to install more Roxio software (Media Manager). I'm getting really frustrated....

How do I completely rid my computer of Roxio software and how do I stop it from trying to install itself when I use CDBurnerXPPro?

I'm on Windows XP Home edition

I own Crap Cleaner & Reg Cleaner.... I cannot uninstall any Roxio software via Add/Remove programs, the program is listed there but it doesn't give me an uninstall option.... I tried removing some registry entries with Reg Cleaner and i would get errors upon start up after a reboot, so I had to restore those registry items... I've deleted all Roxio related folders yet this crap remains on my computer....

Several Roxio related services were starting each time I rebooted my computer, despite nothing being checked off in the Startup Tag in MSCONFIG... I've attached a screenshot of those services which are no longer running.... Please see the attachments....

This is by far the worst software I've ever encountered aside from deliberate spyware.... The Roxio company should be ashamed of itself... The software just embeds itself in your computer and runs all sorts of processes unbeknownst to the operator....

Any help here is greatly appreciated.... I need to be able to use CDBurnerXPPro without Roxio Media Manager trying to install itself several times because my computer will crash upon reboot if it does...

Thank you.

I've attached some screenshots too. Going to Roxio's site just redirects you to Blackberry's site and none of the FAQ's on the Blackberry site addressed removing the software from your computer completely....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roxio.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	17048   Click image for larger version

Name:	RoxioServices.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	17049  
Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I don't know if this will work.
When I had photoshop installed, it uninstalled, left itself in the list and wouldn't uninstall again.
I needed search for the offending program by name in all system and hidden folders.
There will be a few, and you basically start deleting them all.
One or two will be the actuall installwizard files (which I cant find in a folder path, and im on vista) which will remove it from the add/remove programs.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810

You also might try completely unistalling Desktop Manager, and installing a version form the RIM website that does not include Media Manager.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
You also might try completely unistalling Desktop Manager, and installing a version form the RIM website that does not include Media Manager.
I think this is the only way to be sure. Nuke it and start again, with a fresh download of the non-Roxio version.

Remember to do an immediate backup once the new install is complete.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay thanks for the replies, so uninstalling the Blackberry Desktop Manager software should uninstall the Roxio Media Manager with it?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms
Carrier: AT&T

You could also try using CCleaner. Clean up the evil program and clean up all evil registry entries as well. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny909 View Post
You could also try using CCleaner. Clean up the evil program and clean up all evil registry entries as well. Good luck.
I have it, it doesn't list it as an installed program.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
SteveMRose
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon
Default How to "uninstall" a program without an uninstall option

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I have it, it doesn't list it as an installed program.
CCleaner does not need to list the program as installed. Here is how I do it:
First, install the latest version of CCleaner.

1. Under the Program Files folder on your C drive, delete the folder with the program you want to uninstall (one caveat is if the program has some background .dll or .exe running at startup- if so, you need to use MSCONFIG.EXE to prevent this from loading or use Task Manager to kill the process if you know the name of the process to stop running).

2. use REGEDIT to locate the program name/company name in the HKLM and HKCU in the registry under "software" and delete those keys- nothing else. (e.g.- you will see "Piriform" for CCleaner).

3. close REGEDIT and run CCleaner a couple of times on "Registry" until it does not find anything else. Wouldn't hurt to run the "Cleaner" as well.

This should do it. Not 100% but pretty darn close w/o having to buy another program (such as WinCleaner) to do the registry as well.

This has always worked for me.
Closed Thread