Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
mark205

Model: 8350i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel
Thumbs down DO NOT BUY NEXTEL'S 8350i!

Please Login to Remove!

I bought my phone about 6 months ago from the Sprint / Nextel store, it worked like a charm. Some text messaging problems initially but it all got ironed out. About a month ago, 5 months into using my account, i was issued a new phone because my keyboard refused to work and i was having some software issue. Nextel sent me a new phone, all I had to do was transfer it over and it was great. I thought customer service was great. After they sent me a brand new phone, I was sold. I bought another line, upgraded to the family everything plan and made sure my girlfriend would be able to talk to me and enjoy the device as much as I did. That's when the headaches began. Her phone, identical to mine and in the same household as me, started having problems. The L where the NXTL on the top right of the screen stopped being capitalized. So we called customer service and they told me to Master Radio Reset and it worked... for about 5 minutes until they got my *** off the line. Then it wouldn't access any internet features again. Called them back, told me to do the same thing, worked until they got me off the line, then nothing again. Sometimes the phone has the courtesy to un-capitalize the L, other times it's plain and simple guesswork. Nextel won't give me a refund of the early cancellation fee if I cancel my account because THEIR FREAKING SERVICE WON'T WORK and they also won't switch me over to Sprint, because I need the 2 way to call internationally. They're also cheap enough to not give me the reduced international rate complimentary when it's their freaking fault. So now, once again, after 2 weeks and much headaches, i'm talking to customer service to see if it works... but sadly I know it's only temporary.

I apologize for the long post and I doubt anyone will read it, but let this go as a warning to anyone who's considering Nextel and their 8350i... DON'T DO IT. I have never been so unhappy with a service in my life and they simply cannot fix it... they bounce me from department to department asking me to repeat my information over and over until eventually they just hang up on me and say my call was dropped and I have to start over.

Once again, DON'T DO IT! Save yourself the headache and go with AT&T, they may be more expensive, but I've had friends and co-workers use the phone and service for YEARS without fail.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Moving to Rants and Raves.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Funny I carry the 8350i and have none of those issues....
Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

iDen is a dead technology. Let it go.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
iDen is a dead technology. Let it go.
Sprint/Nextel should support iDen till at least 2010 and beyoned, then CDMA perhaps. So, I really don't know why OP is having all his problems.
Later gator.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
cougar0018
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350I
Carrier: Sprint/Nextell

The only issue my wife and I ever had with the 8350I was the texting issue a few months back, nothing lately. We love the phone.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
rick chi-town

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.

ditto here... some text messaging issues early on, but all seem to be ironed out. Best phone, service included, I've ever had. Hey mark, I would suggest just staying calm on the line with customer service, they will get it resolved for you. Nextel's iden network works as well as any service out there. Plus, you want two-way, direct connect functionality, this is the phone! And whats funny, is the op suggests AT&T... AT&T blows wind in Northern Illinois... absolute worst cell phone I've ever had. Or maybe it was the iTurd that I hated... not sure.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick chi-town View Post
Nextel's iden network works as well as any service out there.
Compared to what? 2 tin cans and a string?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I'm sure that Sprint management and stockholders feel a bit differently about the iDen network. As in "WHY DID WE DO THAT"?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
rick chi-town

Sorry... of course my comparisons are based largely on the northern Illinois area. In this area, the big carriers are verizon and uscellular. My phone works equal to both of these services and much better than AT&T or tmobile. I do know AT&T is somewhat better in larger cities.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Tragic

Model: EVO

I highly agree that the 8350i in an unreliable device. Its a gamble whenever you purchase one, some work flawlessly and some just bring headaches. 3 software upgrades later there are still text messaging and reception issues. Hands down NEXTEL HAS THE FASTEST PUSH TO TALK NETWORK! Problem is the 8350i hardly ever works well enough to showcase it. Before you knock the network, look at the device you use and the coverage area.

Everyone has their opinions of which carrier is the best, customer service, reception, cool phones, cheap bill, international capabilities, apps, etc. For you sir, you purchased the worst blackberry in current production. Its not Sprinit/Nextel's fault that blackbery produced a problem prone device. And I'm not aware that AT&T has a push to talk blackberry? But I may be mistaken.

On the other hand... NXTl means you're trying to use nextel towers for web, which is extremely limited. If your wifi is on, the nextel web deactivates automatically. Be sure that wifi is off when you do a master reset, or just switch to wifi completly and enjoy faster web. Hope that helps you out a little. Also make sure your software is up to date. Go to Option, About, software should read v4.6.1.204 (build 301). If that fails, contacting blackberry support would be a more appropriate alternative than Nextel support. If they can't help, you can always go to a Sprint repair store and they will either repair it for you or if they determine its defective they will replace it free of charge if you have the Equipment Service & Repair Program (ESRP) on that line, Sprint/Nextel also honors blackberry's 1 year manufacturer warranty in-store.

Personally, I would just take the phone to a Sprint store and let them figure it out. Don't waste your time calling things in. I feel your pain bro. No one hates having a messed up phone more than I do... the Sprint reps already recognize me whenever I go in. haha. Good luck
Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

So you are trying to use a unreliable device on an extremely limited network. Sounds like a losing combination to me!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Tragic

Model: EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
So you are trying to use a unreliable device on an extremely limited network. Sounds like a losing combination to me!
It works fine for web purposes if the wifi is on, but the nextel web service is slow. Nextel is aimed more for business. They have off-network walkie talkie ... which is usefull if you're in the middle of no-where, it radio's directly connects to the other phone without the network at all; no service required.

Its target customer is very small, not for the average user, especially blackberry audience.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No - Nextel has a much smaller niche than "business". All it has is push to talk.

Sprint bought them assuming the customers would migrate from iDen to Sprint CDMA. They didn't. The PTT group are VERY passionate and it was an excellent business for Nextel.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
southwestcomm

I disagree with NJBB. I sell tons of iDEN every month. True it is not a "white collar" product but there are plenty of users in the "blue collar" industry as well as gov't. No other carrier has the variety of third-party solutions or developers.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #16
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post
No other carrier has the variety of third-party solutions or developers.
More then WM or the iphone, I doubt it.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
southwestcomm

Business apps - yes. I don't sell in the retail world.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
cougar0018

Model: 8350I
Carrier: Sprint/Nextell

Nextel PTT is used in law enforcement, government and every other emergency service. The phone and service serves that industry better than any other service available. They do not care about internet speed or how fast a web page loads. If thats what you want in a phone go get the IPhone, I have the 8350I and thats because my wife is a police officer, it does what all other blackberry's do. I make and receive calls, get my emails. I very seldom surf the web so the slow speed does not bother me. I love the phone, it serves the purpose for what my family and work obligations require.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

As I said, a very vocal and dedicated user base.

And both Sprint and Nextel are in big trouble financially as their market base shrinks.

Didn't he US Government buy a lot of Nextel's bandwidth because it interfered with local law enforcement and emergency responders system?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
rick chi-town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
Everyone has their opinions of which carrier is the best, customer service, reception, cool phones, cheap bill, international capabilities, apps, etc. For you sir, you purchased the worst blackberry in current production. Its not Sprinit/Nextel's fault that blackbery produced a problem prone device. And I'm not aware that AT&T has a push to talk blackberry? But I may be mistaken.
I would just take the phone to a Sprint store and let them figure it out. Don't waste your time calling things in. I feel your pain bro. No one hates having a messed up phone more than I do... the Sprint reps already recognize me whenever I go in. haha. Good luck
Sooo... you're going to say everyone has their opinions and then you're going to say this is the "worst blackberry in current production..." wow. Perhaps I am a defined or specific customer (my company currently has approx 40 Nextel's in service), but I repeat, my experience with this 8350i is equal to any carrier available in my market. That includes the iTurd or any phone on the AT&T network (of course, only my opinion), any verizon phone (only because they limit what you can do with their Blackberry's) or any tmo or uscell.
Not to mention anything on the sprint side of Sprint/Nextel. Big web browser are you? Get a laptop...
Closed Thread