Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Need_To_Know

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Tracking me?

Please Login to Remove!

What are my options for detecting ANY type of tracking software or device on my Curve? I have done tons of research on this board and can't find a definitive answer.

To answer a few specifics first:
-Why do I think this? My spouse will always ask me "have you talked to so-and-so lately" on the same day or day after I spoke to the person. This even happened with a friend that I haven't spoken to in years....the day after I spoke to the person I was asked if I had heard from them lately. There are other small clues that lead me to believe this.

-Please do not lecture me on relationship problems, I am aware of the problems and I am only looking for specific ways to check my device.

-We have separate phone accounts and he does not know my password to my account.

-I do not have a password on my device, never thought I needed one, so yes he could have installed anything.

-I do not want to simply go and have the device wiped and re-installed. This is a breaking point and I need to know if I am being tracked, I do not have anything to hide, this is just creepy.

-I have checked the log files (ALT LGLG) but I don't know what any of the messages mean and I am guessing that a tracking software wouldn't enter the log as "iSpy" and would probably blend in with the other messages.

-I have downloaded the Kisses program but I don't trust its accuracy since it was written by the same guy that writes a tracking program. I doubt he would write something and release it for free that would detect his own program that he charges money for.

-My bill has data entries for blackberry.net (huge file sizes) and wap.cingular. I rarely use the internet.

Any suggestions for figuring this out?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

I would first go to settings>options>advanced options>applications.

I would look through the list and see if anything strange is listed as installed.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_To_Know View Post
-I do not have a password on my device, never thought I needed one, so yes he could have installed anything.
Then it could be as simple as he is checking your phone log, contacts list, and messages.

Quote:
-My bill has data entries for blackberry.net (huge file sizes) and wap.cingular. I rarely use the internet.
blackberry.net would be your BIS connection, but that doesn't rule out tracking. Is your provider AT&T or Cingular?

Raptors advice is good. But unless you are knowledgeable a wipe-restore-set password might be your best bet.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 02-03-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Possibilities:
  • The other party, your spouse, has somehow managed to gain access to your cell phone account and has been reviewing your records.
  • The other party has been looking at your call log, messages, etc. on your blackberry while you were not paying attention.
  • The other party has manually installed an application that compiles your call log, messages, etc. and forwards that information to them.
  • None of the above.

My best advice would be to wipe your device, restore your settings, and set a password.

Last edited by Raptor464; 02-03-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Need_To_Know

As my user name says, "I NEED TO KNOW"!! Just wiping the device doesn't tell me whether it is happening or not. I am stumped that there is technology that can be so invisible!

I don't want to put a password on the device, I honestly do not care if he peruses the history on the phone because I am not hiding anything. What I care about is that there is a program installed and that is just creepy and a total deception. I am not trying to stop the behavior, I am trying to identify something that is obviously associated with some serious mental issues. I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

The one way you will find out about your device is if you wipe the device and after that he is still pursuing this than you will know nothing has been placed on there. He must be gaining access somewhere else.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
jbairdjr

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I have an interesting idea - ask your spouse
Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
The one way you will find out about your device is if you wipe the device and after that he is still pursuing this than you will know nothing has been placed on there. He must be gaining access somewhere else.
I like this idea.

My thought is first set a password on the device, something simple for you but he wouldn't figure it out. Make it like vbvb. That way it is easy to enter and access the phone and he wouldn't ever guess it. What this will do is eliminate the possibility of him checking your call logs/messages/etc while you're sleeping or away from your phone. Keep the password on your phone for a few days/weeks. Make calls to your friends (include ones you rarely talk to) and see if he has the same response.

If he does, then I would think he either does have some software on your device, or somehow gained access to your phone records, possibly your online account. Also, this would help prove your case that he is checking on what you're doing/who you're talking to.

So, if his behavior continues after the password is set on the device, then do the wipe and restore your OS. This should remove whatever software he may have on the device. Then make the aforementioned phone calls and see how his behavior is at that point. If it continues, then he most likely gained access to your online account/phone records. He may have something like a key logger on your PC, or you may have set it to remember your username and password on the login.

Last, change the password to your online account and see if this stops.

I had a friend that was going through a very similar thing during a divorce. Her ex-husband put a key logger on her PC, tapped her home phone and was checking her cell phone records. She suspected it almost how you described. He would know things that she said to a friend or neighbor. He came clean about checking her cell phone logs and told a mutual friend that he did in fact install a key logger and tap her home phone.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Noodle22

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

In a perfect world, we shouldn't have to put passwords on our devices. Sometimes it's just best to take precautionary measures, even if we don't think it's important at the time.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I hate to make your life worst but the owner of the account can get a detailed listing of all calls in and out made by the phone. Depending on the type of contract and I xxx8216;m not talking about the Blackberry account, the main cell account, you can go on line and see listings almost real-time.
The advise given before is good, simply ask. Unless you have issues he should tell you how he just happens to ask after a call is made. Also not trying to cause more issues, you can make a call to some number even one you donxxx8217;t know and see if he asks.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
johnling
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Cushion
Carrier: T-Mobile

At the right time, you'll know when it presents itself, throw this little phrase at him;

"He who mistrusts the most can be trusted the least."

9700, 8520 & Pearl -T-Mobile
Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_To_Know View Post
As my user name says, "I NEED TO KNOW"!! Just wiping the device doesn't tell me whether it is happening or not. I am stumped that there is technology that can be so invisible!

I don't want to put a password on the device, I honestly do not care if he peruses the history on the phone because I am not hiding anything. What I care about is that there is a program installed and that is just creepy and a total deception. I am not trying to stop the behavior, I am trying to identify something that is obviously associated with some serious mental issues. I hope that makes sense.
It wouldn't be invisible to many of the people on this board who have the experience to poke around to find the program. To get an idea what you're up against, have a look at Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications then from the menu select Modules. That is a list of everything on the device, but it is unlikely to be helpful to the inexperienced. You can click on all those module to read about them. You might find something obvious, but I doubt if there is spyware installed that it is clearly labled.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Don't trust AT&T to keep your records confidential. This is what I did recently:

I wanted to upgrade my wife's iPhone for her, from the original model to the new 3GS, and I wanted to do it as a surprise. We have no secrets or anything like that, so gaining surruptitious access was only a problem because she'd miss having her phone with her. She ended up having ****tails with the girls, so I made my move. I slipped her iPhone out of her purse when I dropped her at the local restaurant where she was meeting her friends and she never missed it.

I got to the AT&T store and told them exactly what I was doing - a surprise upgrade of my wife's iPhone. Problem: since the account is in her name and I'm not listed on the account (even though I'm the one that set it all up for her originally) I cannot change her phone. I'm not authorized.

The answer was incredibly simple and was suggested by the store rep: "Call AT&T and have yourself added to the account." Just like that. I called AT&T from her purloined iPhone, asked to be added, and since I know her social security number they added me to the account imediately, on the spot. Keys to the kingdom. I turned around to the rep who told me I needed access to do the upgrade, and he refreshed the computer screen. I was now listed as having full account access and he did the upgrade for me on the spot. They give you a new SIM card and provision it right there so the old phone goes dead (loses connectin with the network due to an invalidated SIM card) and the new one activates. I had to do a sync with her Mac at home to get all her stuff imported, but having done a sync right before heading out to upgrade her the transition from old phone to new phone was seamless.

What this long-winded story means to you is that although you have separate accounts, he may be an authorized person without your knowledge. If he is, he can check EVERYTHING online. Usage, phone logs, messages, etc. Call AT&T and check the account.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Noodle22

That is horrible Rambo! I mean, you got it all done which is great, but they should not allow that. Anyone could have stolen her phone and wallet and gotten that information and could have walked off with the stolen iphone and the new one as well.

The company I work for, you must have the account holders authorization first before you can be added, people can't add themselves. I'm surprised they did that.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Need_To_Know

Thank you for the responses. I did call AT&T and there are no other authorized users on my account. I tested the theory of whether he is browsing through my phone by making a call to a random family member (that he doesn't particularly like) and then deleting the call log. This morning he said I should call this person and see how their family is doing. I know he was fishing because he is nosy and can't stand it if I talk to people. It's obvious that he is somehow tracking me without looking at my phone.

I looked at the applications->modules and I don't see anything unusual. I opened just about every module's information and most of them list the vendor as Research In Motion (with the same version number) or Telenav (I have AT&T Navigator installed).

This is important to me because I want to use any proof I can find (along with other stuff) to get a protective order.

I am still curious about the large files that are sent at random times throughout the day and night showing up as "blackberry.net". I read that many 3rd party applications use blackberry.net to transfer data, so I guess it could be anything.

Still seeking any additional advice/tips.......
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
Noodle22

This is starting to sound creepy.

Have you brought this to the attention of the police? They should have the resources to be able to check for this kind of thing as it is breaking the law. It will also help start a paper trail towards getting a protective order.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
jsconyers

Don't rule out your online account. Just because he didn't call to gain access to your records, he could have your login/password to access your online AT&T account. All the info he needs is right there as well.

Change your password there and keep testing him. If it stops for a few days, change it back to the previous password and see if his behavior resumes again.

Last edited by jsconyers; 02-04-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
That is horrible Rambo! I mean, you got it all done which is great, but they should not allow that. Anyone could have stolen her phone and wallet and gotten that information and could have walked off with the stolen iphone and the new one as well.

The company I work for, you must have the account holders authorization first before you can be added, people can't add themselves. I'm surprised they did that.
I agree it was just too easy. No verification like that seems like either their security policies are worthless, or someone just screwed up and allowed something they shouldn't have. Imagine an ex-spouse stalking them. There's just so many things that could go terribly wrong.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post

I agree it was just too easy. No verification like that seems like either their security policies are worthless, or someone just screwed up and allowed something they shouldn't have. Imagine an ex-spouse stalking them. There's just so many things that could go terribly wrong.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #20
jsconyers

I agree, Rambo. As I said above, my friend's ex-husband did the same thing. He got access to her account just like you were able to with your wife's account. She ended up putting a password on her account. Now anyone that calls about the account needs to know her password, her SSN won't be enough to access the account.

Recently she called to make a change on her account and the customer service rep didn't ask for the password, just her SSN. And she questioned the rep about it and the rep said she was sorry and that she missed it. My friend then asked to speak to a supervisor about this and they put a pop-up in place so when her account is accessed, it prompts the rep to ask for the password on the account.

Last edited by jsconyers; 02-04-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Closed Thread