Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
cjaylol

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Help! Serious Water Damage

Please Login to Remove!

Well i recently purchased a blackberry bold for my son a week before christmas, as you can assume he was very excited about it and has been using it all the time since then, unfortunately he was listening to music on it when he went to use the washroom, it fell into the toilet. He didn't know what to do but immediately took it out of the toilet, and did a quick dry with a towel, he then foolishly put the battery back in and attempted to turn the phone on. It turned on but immediately turned off, he tried once more and this time it worked but the phone wasn't working properly so he took the battery out. Then he proceeded to blow dry it on high with my blow dryer and then once again put the battery in the phone, but this time he told me he heard a hissing noise when he connected the phone and it started to burn up so he immediately removed the battery. Now he finally came to me and tells me what happened and i take the sim card out and dry it as well as the battery and the phone carefully and thorough and now have set it to dry in a bowl of rice. I believe the phone has probably short circuited and am wondering if there is anything i can do to hopefully save the phone. Unfortunately i don't have insurance and worst of all the phone was on a 3 year plan and to cancel the plan of the phone will cost me over $1000 and i just don't have that kind of money, is there anything i can do to save the phone? Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me with this situation.

Last edited by cjaylol; 01-06-2009 at 08:45 PM..
Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

If he kept putting the battery in it and heard a hissing noise you may be out of luck.

Give this a read: Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

if u can open it up, get some contact cleaner and clean the board of the phone, clean up all the corrosion you see (green and white mold looking stuff on contacts and components on the board) and possibly any rust you might see.

This MIGHT help depending on the damage to the phone. I've gotten phones to work pretty much like normal after doing this. But if you heard hissing thats pretty bad, the phone probably got fried so i'm sure some things will prob never work again.

Always remember, it's power (electricity) and liquid that damges the phone! If you got power to a phone and it gets went, thats how it gets damaged. Normally best thing to do is to pull the battery about ASAP and make sure its dried completely.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
tennlotteryman
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: I dunno
Carrier: AT&T
Lightbulb Sounds like

Sounds like your phone maybe fired just follow the attempts to fix it with the rice but if that does not work and I know money is an issue you may be able to get a replacement phone off the sites buy/sell/trade for less.

w w w.blackberryforums.com/buy-sell-trade/
Buy Sell Trade - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I would buy an older BB online and put the SIM in it. I would not give him another new unit. By doing this at least you wonxxx8217;t have to loose the money to a contract.
You could also show him the real world and have him wait for 3 years to get another phone or make him pay for the cost of the replacement. It may give him an incentive to be more careful if he has some investment in its life.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
unbb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Ok, I had a little mishap this weekend with a pool, me, and my curve. Rather than start a new thread, I will ask here.

When I got it out of the water, it was still on. Seconds later the battery, sim, and memory card were out, it was toweled off. Stickers are not fully stained (maybe the silicone cover helped). 12 hours later, I powered it on, all worked. I took it back apart and another 12 hours later and some time sitting over my cars defrost vent (three hours while driving), I used it. The earpiece is the only bad thing, will it ever come back? The volume is very low. It is now in a ziplock bag with rice over a heat source (not hot...very warm). Will I need to replace the earpiece speaker?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

There are happy story endings regarding this. I doubt your earpiece situation will improve.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Artem85

Model: 8900
PIN: 2108
Carrier: AT&T

I drope my Gphone in water. It broken and not working now (
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
unbb

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

There are happy story endings regarding this. I doubt your earpiece situation will improve.
Woohoo! Chemical drying agents rock! My curve is saved and fully functional.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem85 View Post
I drope my Gphone in water. It broken and not working now (
Congratulations.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #11
lukecage

Model: 7920
Carrier: tmobile

I have a good story regarding dropping one in the drink. 10 feet of water to be exact. I disassembled my unit and allowed it to air out. I bought another phone, thinking the first one was toast. Five days later I re-assembled my phone and to my surprise it worked again. I'm not saying that this will work for you, but give it a try.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Flava dave

Carrier: T-Mobile

I dropped my blackberry bold in the toliet as well, took it out and disassembled it, and tried drying it up for a few days, but after i put it back together it showed a blank white screen and then went off, and now it wont come on. I tried a few times after that, and still nothing. is this water damage repairable? or is the phone done? someone please help
Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Chinookman
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Head....NOT!
Carrier: ATT

If you heard a hissing sound that is not good..... what you heard was high battery amperage flow to places outside of normal circuit paths and short circuited components.
If a full drying out after a long time actually returns the phone to service please share the good news as other have.......but the hissing sound pretty much sounds like fried components and don't know of any repair facilities or if BB has reasonable prices for such repairs. I would think replacing the ckt. board would be a straight forward job for BB if they do such things........worth a try I think......

Or if you're frisky about it maybe a ebay buy of used phone and swap parts or if it's a good phone unlock it and swap sims maybe good luck.......
Closed Thread