BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default BBFileScout - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files & directories...

Please Login to Remove!

BBFileScout
Browsing the file system of your BB - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files & directories and much more!

I would like to use the opportunity to present an application that I have written for the all BB with OS 4.3 or higher (sorry no support for 4.2.1 devices) [successfully tested (by other users and myself) with 8110, 8310, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 & 9500].

Core Features
  • BBFileScout allows you to browse the file system of your BB (including hidden files)
  • Create directories, copy, move, rename or delete files
  • Zipping files or complete directory structures
  • Extracting Zip archives (incl. structures)
  • Furthermore BBFileScout supports copying and deleting of complete directory structures
  • You can open all (by your Blackberry supported) media files
  • Register additional file types with other (3'rd party) applications (like pdf's)
  • BBFileScout allows you to open files (like ini, xml, etc.) as plain text, so you are able to edit, mark, copy & paste text fragments of these files that normally can't be opened with your Blackberry. This can become very valuable when you receive eMail attachments that are not native supported by your Blackberry
  • With BBFileScout you can delete pre installed wallpapers, videos and ringtones in order to free memory on your device*** - but please note, that once they are deleted the only way to get them back is to hard reset your device!
  • More to come...

Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. BBFileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - BBFileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.

BBFileScout is pay-what-you-want: if you find the application useful day by day and you want that I am able to invest more of my time into the development of this application, then please be so kind and send me a little donation - details at the BBFileScout Homepage - TIA.

Features
What you can do with BBFileScout
  • Browse over the file system of your BlackBerry device
  • Show hidden files and directories (indicated by grey name)
  • Show 'encrypted content' (indicated by a lock icon)
  • Creating new directories
  • Copy a file from one folder to another - to do so:
    1. select a file in any directory
    2. choose Store '[SourceFile]' on Stack from the menu
    3. browse to the target folder
    4. select Copy '[SourceFile]' to '[CurrentDir]' from the menu.
  • Move files* (in the same way as copy a file)
  • Renaming existing files*
  • Delete existing files [even ones that are preinstalled (like wallpapers or ringtones)]*, ***
  • Copy complete directory structures (including all it's content) in the same way as single files can be copied
  • Move complete directory structures (including all it's content) in the same way as single files can be moved
  • Delete directories with all its content (recursive)*
  • Unpack ZIP-Archives (including directory structures)
  • Create a ZIP-Archive from a selected file
  • Create a ZIP-Archive from a selected directory (including all it's content/recursive)
  • Opening Media-Files**:
    • Audio: W4A|AAC|MP3|WAV|AU3|MID|WMA
    • Video: MPEG|AVI|MP4|3GP
    • Image: JPG|PNG|GIF|TIFF|SVG|BMP
    • Office (requires installed "Office to go"): DOC|XLS|PPT
    • Other: TXT|HTML
  • Opening custom registered files:
    • BBFileScout allows you to associate own file extensions with custom applications (like you might know it from other OS)
    • Simply enter the extension [without '.' (dot)] in the BBFileScout-Options
    • Once such an associations is configured (via BBFileScout options) you could open any file type with any application that you have registered****
  • Opening Files in a SimpleTextViewer:
    • You can open small files (smaller then 250KiB) in plain text mode - This enables you to open XML's, INI's or any kind of script files (or any other files) in your BlackBerry
    • Once the file is opened, you can mark/select text and copy it into the clipboard (to use it where ever you like or need it)
  • Opening Files in a SimpleTextEditor:
    • Once it's enabled in the options you can edit the text files that you have opened in the SimpleTextEditor. But BBFileScout is still far away from becoming a fully functional text editor (that might change in further releases).
    • by default all files will be open with UTF-8 character encoding
    • Re-read file with different encodings:
      • Re-read file with 'UTF-8' encoding
      • Re-read file with 'ISO-8859-1' encoding
      • Re-read file with 'UTF-16BE' encoding
      • Re-read file with 'US-ASCII' encoding
    • Save File
    • Save File as...
    • both 'save' functions will use UTF-8 encoding
  • Options:
    • Confirm Exit of BBFileScout
    • Confirm Delete of files & directories
    • Show hidden files & directories
    • Sort directory content [will separate directories and files from each other and sort them by name (case insensitive)]
    • Allow editing in SimpleTextViewer
    • Custom file associations
  • Key short cuts:
    • [C|V]: (C)opy to Clipboard [store the actual selected file/dir on the Stack]
    • [O|P]: (P)aste from Clipboard [copy the current file on the stack to the current directory]
    • [M]: (M)ove from Clipboard [move the current file on the stack to the current directory]
    • [DEL|Backspace]: (Del)ete file/directory
    • [A|S]: (A)rchive file/directory
    • [E|R]: (R)rename file/directory
    • [D|F]: Create NEW (d)irectory
    • [T|Z] [T|Y]: (T)ext mode Edit [open the current file in the simple text viewer/editor]
  • More to come...

* Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk!

** Not all media types might be supported by your device

*** Some files on a Blackberry device are marked as "BuildIn" - unfortunately most of the time it's not possible for BBFileScout to delete this type of files.

**** The 3'rd party application itself have to support to be started with an file as additional command line parameter (this is quite usual in other OS's but I do not know much about 3'rd party Blackberry applications right now) - It's e.g. successfully tested with 'RepliGo Reader' (and 'pdf' as custom file association)

License/Price
BBFileSout is offered on a 'pay-what-you-want' base - This means that the software that you can download is fully functional. It comes without any functional restrictions or evil things like a nag-screen. If you are going to use this application then please be so fair and send me a donation - what ever you think the application is worth and of course what ever you can (or will) afford to pay.

Installation
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage

Additional Notes
  • Please Note: Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. BBFileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - BBFileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.
  • Even if I own a Storm myself there is no extra TouchScreen support (yet) - this means it will work on a Strom like on any other BB-Device.
  • Some parts/files in the '/system' and '/store' folders might reappear after a battery pull - The device seams to auto restore some of the files.

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Looking forward for your comments
Matthias
Attached Images
File Type: png 001_InitialScreenWithDeviceRoots.png (14.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: png 002_OptionScreenWithACustonExtention.png (23.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: png 003_PicturesWithDRM.png (30.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: png 004_SimpleTextEditor_markingXML.png (18.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: png 005_CopyAFileToStack.png (32.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by emacf1; 03-05-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Matthias--

Thanks for bringing this so far so quickly. I will definitely send a donation your way this evening (don't have my PayPal token with me )...

A couple of quick comments on your latest version:
  1. Might it be possible to display an entire filename with a "rollover" (aka hover) type implementation? Currently, there is no way to display the complete filename with long names.
  2. This is a nit, but please consider using "standard" abbreviations for file sizes (i.e., B for bytes, KB for kilobytes, MB for megabytes, GB for gigabytes).
  3. I love the "Sort files & directories" option!
  4. Question about zip function -- does it delete source file(s) after creating the archive?
Keep up the great work! BTW, you can add 8830 to the list of compatible devices.

Last edited by visortgw; 03-05-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
  • Might it be possible to display an entire filename with a "rollover" (aka hover) type implementation? Currently, there is no way to display the complete filename with long names.
actually a "complete File Info" Dialogue with all the details is on my "to do list"

Quote:
  • This is a nit, but please consider using "standard" abbreviations for file sizes (i.e., B for bytes, KB for kilobytes, MB for megabytes, GB for gigabytes).
Well - that's a big misunderstanding since years - a "Kilo" means always 1000 - it always has been - that we read so often 1024 bytes = 1 kilo byte is simply wrong - honestly - repeating this error again and again over years (like Windows and others does) will not make this correct as some day...

1000 bytes = 1Kilobyte
1024 bytes = 1Kibibyte

and since my app is deviding the filesize by 1024 - KiB is the correct abbreviation -> Kibibyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
  • Question about zip function -- does it delete source file(s) after creating the archive?
Jesus! - deleting files without confirmation from the user? - typically I would call such an program a virus! Honestly - that would be a NO-GO... BBFileScout create Zip-Archives and will not touch the original files.

Matthias
Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

It would be handy to be able to create text files as well ... is that on your list of future items?

Thanks,
Joachim
Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Lightbulb

Currently, the app opens JAD files as text. Please consider launching the file in order to initiate an installation of the app, as is currently done by the RIM Media app. I will try adding a custom file association...

[NOTE: Custom file association did not resolve the issue. In fact, BBFileScout removed the association to Media following a device reboot.]

Last edited by visortgw; 03-05-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
PDM

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Gr8 release & a fantastic app!!

A couple of small things to consider :
* Ability to "Move '<dir>'' would fit-in nicely between "Rename" and "Delete"
* Change "Open File '<filename>'" to "View '<filename>'"
* Change "Open '<filename>' (PlainText Editor)" to "Edit '<filename>' (PlainText Editor)"
* Ability to change font/fontsize within PlainText Editor.

Also, if I click on a WinWord file it does quickly flashes up Word To Go and returns to BBFileScout. I have to then go and switch to Word To Go to view/edit the file. Is it possible to force Word To Go into the foreground (and return to BBFileScout upon closing Word To Go)?

Last edited by PDM; 03-05-2009 at 06:23 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Currently, the app opens JAD files as text. Please consider launching the file in order to initiate an installation of the app, as is currently done by the RIM Media app. I will try adding a custom file association...

[NOTE: Custom file association did not resolve the issue. In fact, BBFileScout removed the association to Media following a device reboot.]
I would also recommend having this feature in the subsequent releases.

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
raja_3012

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

Another problem which I noticed with zip file is that if copy the jad and cod files to my SD card and I try to install the app from there.. the installation fails. However the installation works fine using DM. I was wondering if it is just me or there are other people like me facing the same issue..

But otherwise this is a wonderful app.. I am loving it.

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_3012 View Post
Another problem which I noticed with zip file is that if copy the jad and cod files to my SD card and I try to install the app from there.. the installation fails. However the installation works fine using DM. I was wondering if it is just me or there are other people like me facing the same issue..

But otherwise this is a wonderful app.. I am loving it.
Slightly off topic, but, typically, the ZIP file for a Desktop Manager installation contains an ALX file (no JAD file) and one or more COD files -- unlike a JAD file, you cannot launch an ALX file from the BlackBerry itself. You can download an installation package to your microSD card using the "Bing Bang BlackBerry OTA Downloader" utility (Blackberry OTA downloader | download free OTA themes to your desktop) and the OTA JAD file.

Last edited by visortgw; 03-05-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Nice I will try the new version. I already donated a bit ago, though. :D

It would be interesting to see on blackberry COD to JAD convertor.

*edit*
OOPS! I managed to crash it when I tried to open this file:

/store/tmp/medialoader.ml

with this error: Uncaught exception: invalid initialvalue

Last edited by Iare Tosevite; 03-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Add crash info
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
fkjr2

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Am I missing something - you can't open PDF files even with Repligo Reader installed??

Also, word documents dont open automatically - you have to use the escape key to go back to the document.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #12
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeek View Post
It would be handy to be able to create text files as well ... is that on your list of future items?
Expect it in the next release...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
* Change "Open File '<filename>'" to "View '<filename>'"
* Change "Open '<filename>' (PlainText Editor)" to "Edit '<filename>' (PlainText Editor)"
Next Release: if BBFileScout is configured that edit is allowed, then "Edit" will be shown instead of "View" (so "open" is gone then)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Also, if I click on a WinWord file it does quickly flashes up Word To Go and returns to BBFileScout. I have to then go and switch to Word To Go to view/edit the file. Is it possible to force Word To Go into the foreground (and return to BBFileScout upon closing Word To Go)?
That's a really good question - I have NO CLUE at all why all the '... to Go' apps behaves like this... I have already debugged this quite a long time but did not found a way (yet) to force the just called app to come to front... -> but I'll promise to investigate this further...

Quote:

... are you sure, that you have pressed the "add association" button? - Since when settings disappear after a reboot, then normally "none" of the settings should survive a reboot (which actually should not be the case at all) = - so can you please double check this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite View Post
*edit*
OOPS! I managed to crash it when I tried to open this file:

/store/tmp/medialoader.ml

with this error: Uncaught exception: invalid initialvalue
investigating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
Am I missing something - you can't open PDF files even with Repligo Reader installed??
Did you made a custom "file association" for the extension "pdf" in the BBFileScout options ?

Thanks for your feedback guys!
Matthias
Old 03-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
ohad_129

Model: 9800
PIN: 237be374
Carrier: orange il

did that app support only english?
thx
Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #14
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohad_129 View Post
did that app support only english?
thx
currently 'yes'
Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #15
ohad_129

not for pdf or doc files
what i must to do that its will
thx
Old 03-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #16
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohad_129 View Post
not for pdf or doc files
what i must to do that its will
DOC|XLS|PPT -> Office (requires installed "Office to go")

PDF -> required 3'rd party reader like 'RepliGo Reader' and then you have to associate the pdf extension with this app (via the BBFileScout options)
Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #17
ohad_129

thx alot
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
... are you sure, that you have pressed the "add association" button? - Since when settings disappear after a reboot, then normally "none" of the settings should survive a reboot (which actually should not be the case at all) = - so can you please double check this?

Matthias
I believe that I selected the Add Association, but not positive. I added it again -- Open File 'filename.jad' menu item has been added (in addition to the Open 'filename.jad' (PlainText)' menu item), but nothing happens when I select Open File 'filename.jad'. The association does survive a reboot, but it does not work.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
emacf1

two times thank you visortgw - actually I do not wonder, that the 'jad' association (with media) does not do anything... I am still way to new to BB's in general in order to realize this functionality... I am not confident, that's possible in general...

But I was quite successful with other stuff during the day... so expect an update more or less soon...
Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #20
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1
two times thank you visortgw - actually I do not wonder, that the 'jad' association (with media) does not do anything... I am still way to new to BB's in general in order to realize this functionality... I am not confident, that's possible in general...

But I was quite successful with other stuff during the day... so expect an update more or less soon...
Definitely possible, as I've seen it implemented in other 3rd-party apps.

Last edited by visortgw; 03-06-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Closed Thread