BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Carey Nachenberg

Model: 8250
Default Building an app that doesn't obscure the status area at the top of the display

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I'm trying to build a Blackberry application that displays a MainScreen in such a fashion that the app's fields do not obscure the status area at the top of the Blackberry display (i.e. the time display, the battery life, and the signal strength).

In other words, my application looks like the built-in Calculator app (which obscures the status area at the top of the display), as opposed to looking like the Mail inbox application, which displays your inbox contents *below* the status area of the display. I'd like to implement the later.

I have not been able to figure out how to coax my screen class derived from MainScreen to display its contents only in the area below the status region. Can this be done with MainScreen, or must you derive your screen class from a different base class?

Thanks in advance!

Carey
Old 06-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
sacramentojoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Nachenberg
Hi,

I'm trying to build a Blackberry application that displays a MainScreen in such a fashion that the app's fields do not obscure the status area at the top of the Blackberry display (i.e. the time display, the battery life, and the signal strength).

In other words, my application looks like the built-in Calculator app (which obscures the status area at the top of the display), as opposed to looking like the Mail inbox application, which displays your inbox contents *below* the status area of the display. I'd like to implement the later.

I have not been able to figure out how to coax my screen class derived from MainScreen to display its contents only in the area below the status region. Can this be done with MainScreen, or must you derive your screen class from a different base class?

Thanks in advance!

Carey
Do you want your screen to work the same way the email and the phone screen works? How all the info above it stays there.?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Carey Nachenberg

Model: 8250
Default Preventing app screen from obscuring top status area (battery life, signal strength)

sacramentojoe wrote:

>Do you want your screen to work the same way the email and the phone screen works? How all the info above it stays there.?

Yes, exactly!

Thanks,

Carey
Old 06-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
sacramentojoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230

Pain in the butt, but you could recreate your own using
the provided classes (deviceInfo, GPRSInfo, etc.)

You can leverage the net.rim.device.api.system package.

Good luck
Closed Thread