Old 12-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Rove Mobile Desktop

Please Login to Remove!

I am having some "issues" connecting to a Windows XP machine with Rove Mobile Desktop. The XP machine is configured to accept remote connections -- I can do so internally on the network or internally/externally using PC Anywhere. I would like to extend the remote access capability to the BB, and downloaded a trial of Mobile Desktop.

I am NOT on BES, and have tried connecting via BIS (connection refused error message) and Direct Carrier TCP/IP (Unable to open connection error message).

I have assumed that the domain name should be the domain name for the Windows SB 2003 server, and that the user name/password should be those associated with the Windows login. I have read the manual, but have not (yet) contacted Rove.

Any thoughts from experienced users of this program? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Can you use basic remote desktop from a PC outside the organization to access the server in question? That would be my first step - verify your firewall rules and so forth are all correct and working from a non-local client (such as at home or whatever). I'm assuming you're using the standard Windows tools and not VNC. The Rove Mobile desktop will be using these same protocols, so in theory if it works from home (without a VPN connection on!) then it should work from your BB device.

You mention pcAnyWhere, but that app is not the same as Remote Desktop/Terminal Services/VNC and has different port numbers and server/client software involved. For the purposes of your debugging I would forget that it exists and don't bring it into the equation, it will do nothing more than confuse the situation without any added benefit towards the solution.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
djm2
BlackBerry Master

I mentioned PC Anywhere primarily because I know that I do have some outside access and that a security tunnel has been drilled. I have not tried using the standard Windows tools outside, yet. Good suggestion.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

If you do not have a BES your computer must be accessible from the internet using either VNC or RDP. To test this you can try using Microsoft Remote Desktop (Start - Run - mstsc.exe) and enter the internet address you use to connect to your computer, is mstsc works over the internet, the Mobile Desktop should work as well.

For more specific details please email our support team, [email address] and they will be glad to assist you and help with your specific configuration issues.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldumais View Post
If you do not have a BES your computer must be accessible from the internet using either VNC or RDP. To test this you can try using Microsoft Remote Desktop (Start - Run - mstsc.exe) and enter the internet address you use to connect to your computer, is mstsc works over the internet, the Mobile Desktop should work as well.

For more specific details please email our support team, [email address] and they will be glad to assist you and help with your specific configuration issues.
Thanks. I may take you up on that. Right now client demands are keeping me from doing anything on changing configurations. Have to keep paying the bills.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I am having trouble setting this up after a week. I am using the IIS and when logging in to my computer from the BB, it says its fetching the file but then it stops and say's "Cant open data connection" It appears that i get a connection, but then drop with above message.

Any suggestions
Old 12-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary19067 View Post
I am having trouble setting this up after a week. I am using the IIS and when logging in to my computer from the BB, it says its fetching the file but then it stops and say's "Cant open data connection" It appears that i get a connection, but then drop with above message.

Any suggestions
Fixed the issue, but thanks everyone.