Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Uma

Please Login to Remove!

Since updating to the 4.5 versio ".46" I have had issues with the phone resetting in the middle of phone calls. The only other time I experienced this was last year with my T-Mobile 8320 on UMA. I really enjoy using the Wifi for conversations, but only if it is reliable, and I have now turned Wifi off so that my 8820 can remain reliable. I am even considering downgrading to the old OS it came with.

Because I experienced this issue with the 8320 as well I was wondering whether this is related to the OS on my 8820 or maybe a program added to the device.

I have added Google Maps, TeleNav, and Opera Mini.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
PhoenixStorm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: tmobile

Wirelessly posted

It may be none of them and just be low memory. I get that problem when I don't keep tabs on my memory
Old 07-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
pinhead

I thought that initially, but I have 21MB free memory, which should be enough. I am in a Starbucks since it is next to where I work. I am giving it a test to see if it works out...it usually just suddenly resets a minute or less into a call...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
wingzero1

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
I thought that initially, but I have 21MB free memory, which should be enough. I am in a Starbucks since it is next to where I work. I am giving it a test to see if it works out...it usually just suddenly resets a minute or less into a call...
I had the same problem with .46. Never had this problem with .44.

I downgraded to .44 and haven't had any resets while on UMA calls since.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
pinhead

Really? Is that the main difference you have experienced between .44 and .46? I only download .42 and .46 but didn't get .44. I will try that as soon as I am in a place with faster download speeds!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Surfish
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile

.52 has a UMA problem also, so until that issue is solved I say no bueno.

Wi Fi is the reason I bought the 8320.

I believe more usage is in order.

I may have mis-spoke

Last edited by Surfish; 07-08-2008 at 06:09 PM..
Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
wingzero1

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Really? Is that the main difference you have experienced between .44 and .46? I only download .42 and .46 but didn't get .44. I will try that as soon as I am in a place with faster download speeds!
Yep that was the main difference I saw. Everything else worked just fine. I also didn't see much of difference between .42 or .44 with the exception of the VM indicator not working in .44. but since I was using youmail it wasn't a big deal to me.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
CashMoneyBrown

I am running .52, and I have not noticed any problems yet. Voicemail indicator works, and I can make and receive calls over UMA just fine.

Could you have a router problem?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMoneyBrown View Post
I am running .52, and I have not noticed any problems yet. Voicemail indicator works, and I can make and receive calls over UMA just fine.

Could you have a router problem?
I did wonder if might be related to the router at the house but it happened constantly at work too. There I am using a true T-Mobile Hotspot! Plus, at the house I have the router that came with my BB and the new @Home router. I have tested by turning one off to make sure they were not interfering but no changes. I am going to try another OS version as soon as I can. I am enjoying slightly better battery life with the Wifi off though ;) Though, two to three days worth was already enough...
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
CashMoneyBrown

Quote:
I did wonder if might be related to the router at the house but it happened constantly at work too. There I am using a true T-Mobile Hotspot! Plus, at the house I have the router that came with my BB and the new @Home router. I have tested by turning one off to make sure they were not interfering but no changes. I am going to try another OS version as soon as I can. I am enjoying slightly better battery life with the Wifi off though ;) Though, two to three days worth was already enough...
It sounds like it could be a phone issue. Do you know of anyone else that has a curve you can test? If it is not connecting at multiple locations, I would look into it. I think I've also read about people with older sim cards having problems, but I don't know how likely that is.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #11
CashMoneyBrown

I was just reading the thread over in the wi-fi forum, and apparently something is going on in Georgia. There are like 8 people with the same problem.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
pinhead

Damn! I have searched constantly and haven't found 4.5.0.52 anywhere yet. However, the device is very stable running .46 with the Wifi off. I guess I am just going to leave it as is for a while. I would really like to have the UMA working again but for now I guess it just isn't meant to be!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
gatortone
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have the same reboot issue with my 8320. I know of other people who have the same issue. I deleted Google Maps from my BB, turned off Wi-Fi, and signed out of my IM programs. During one phone conversation, the phone rebooted again (after 5 mins into the conversation)! I do notice that the phone reboots less often after I took off Google Maps. Before, I noticed that the phone rebooted after every 2-3 conversations. If it keeps rebooting more often, I'll remove Opera Mini. On my next software load, I'm going to wipe it clean with JL_Cmder and then install the OS. But, at this point, I'm basically trying everything to figure out why it keeps rebooting. Oh, I also noticed the reboot issue when I have video media on my media card and while watching them.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

I have been running .52 for a week. I also have been traveling internationally for the same week, and have been using UMA EXCLUSIVELY! No problems whatsoever. In the US, I've always had handoff problems, so that is nothing new, but I can report that I've been calling back and forth to the States for the past week on UMA, and barring any internet problems, the calls have been crystal clear.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
opus300zx

Carrier: TMO

I'm currently running .52 with Wi-Fi Preferred setup. Whenever I go over to a buddy's house that's running a wireless network with WPA-PSK using AES+TKIP on a Belkin Wireless router, my 8320 goes into a continuous reboot loop 5-8 seconds after the device validates security.

The only way to stop this is to navigate to Manage Connections and Turn All connections Off and turn on the mobile connection only. I can go into a WPA-PSK environment with AES all day long and not experience a problem. I'm wondering if it's having problem encrypting in TKIP that's causing my issues.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
pinhead

If only there were better, smaller, cleaner fonts in the T-Mobile OS for the 8820 I'd just go back using that...the UMA issue really is annoying. I waited to buy the T-Mobile 8820 for this very feature instead of grabbing up an unlocked AT&T 8820...now I can't even use it! That's what I get for trying to use a beta.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #17
Calvin413
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

Hey All! I've been searching for the right forum for my issues, and thought that maybe this might be a good place.

I am currently using .52 (up from .46 just about 48 hrs ago) and am able to make calls using UMA, but the one problem that has plagued me is dropped calls. I am using an 8320 and have had it replaced by TMO three times, replaced the SIM card within the past 6 mos, replaced the router with the new TMO @Home service. I am currently on Channel 11 and NOT using bluetooth(much to my dismay). I am still experiencing dropped calls!!

Observations? Questions?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
Calvin413
Thumbs Must Hurt

It now looks like the call drops around 6 minutes into the call.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin413 View Post
Hey All! I've been searching for the right forum for my issues, and thought that maybe this might be a good place.

I am currently using .52 (up from .46 just about 48 hrs ago) and am able to make calls using UMA, but the one problem that has plagued me is dropped calls. I am using an 8320 and have had it replaced by TMO three times, replaced the SIM card within the past 6 mos, replaced the router with the new TMO @Home service. I am currently on Channel 11 and NOT using bluetooth(much to my dismay). I am still experiencing dropped calls!!

Observations? Questions?
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in a while is other devices on the same frequency like 2.4gz cordless phones, Playstation 3 bluetooth, etc. I doubt you got 3 bad phones so maybe there's interference, and maybe from your neighbors.

Do you have the same problems if you try a Hotspot at Starbucks?

Have you tried different channels on the router? I've got 2. One on 3 and one on 8. My 6 or 7 neighbors with wifi within range are mostly on 11 or 6.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #20
Calvin413
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in a while is other devices on the same frequency like 2.4gz cordless phones, Playstation 3 bluetooth, etc. I doubt you got 3 bad phones so maybe there's interference, and maybe from your neighbors.

Do you have the same problems if you try a Hotspot at Starbucks?

Have you tried different channels on the router? I've got 2. One on 3 and one on 8. My 6 or 7 neighbors with wifi within range are mostly on 11 or 6.
TMO keeps directing me back to 1, 6, and 11. for the benefit of their support I have to pursue this route first to eliminate these channels. I would prefer one that has less traffic, but really neighborhood traffic is minimal, and certainly not strong enough to overcome my signal.

I have other 2.4GHz devices such as my Jabra BT250v, and there is no change in my experience without the BT active on the phone. I do have a Playstation3, but it is normally powered off, as is my laptop. But again, they all seem to be able to coexist, so the expectation is that the 8320 should also.

What we really have not said is that we are using Beta OS's, which no one really is supporting, so there are some variables that no one will address. I cam't call TMO and tell them I am using a beta and expect them to support my problems.

Some of the betas have had better UMA/radio experiences than others, but I really don't know what has been fixed in what version for which problem.

I have limited my use of the Internet for torrenting via schedule that allows me greater bandwidth during functioning hours, and try to close the proximity to the router when possible while using the phone.

I have eliminated the metal in my jaw and in my neck, and the metal coil in my heart as potential interferences. I am considering also the cable modem that is voice capable, and going to piursue one that only supports data(internet only).

As I mentioned before I am seeing the dropped call within the first 6 minutes of the call. My ISP is Comcast, I have an Arris Modem, my avg upload/download is 10/1 MBps. I am using the WRTU54G-TM Firmware Version : v1.00.04. I have an 8230 with an 8GB Mem Card. I do not use Maps or Word to go or any other 3rd Party apps.

I have 18841036 of 55312384 Bytes free after the J. Clark Mem Optimizer. I retain SMS and MMS for 15 days.