BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Shadysprings
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default In Holster vs Out of Holster Sounds - Gone now?

Please Login to Remove!

i just "upgraded" my Bold 9000 to a Bold 9700.
I can not figure out how to set In Holster vs Out of Holster Sounds. (easy on 9000) The 9700 gives you three choices: in holster, out of holster, and always. If you choose in holster and set the ringtone, volume, etc, then how do you set the out of holster? It appears you can't have separate settings. Am I missing something?

Also, anyone know if there are detailed instructions on how to use this? I looked at the manual pdf on blackberry.com but it doesn't touch this subject.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

As far as I can see, you cannot set different sounds for in or out of holster. You can set a sound for in, out or always, and a vibrate for in, out, always. It sort of makes sense in a warped sort of way.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Shadysprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
As far as I can see, you cannot set different sounds for in or out of holster. You can set a sound for in, out or always, and a vibrate for in, out, always. It sort of makes sense in a warped sort of way.
It's actually very weird to me that I'm not finding many people sharing my concern. All my past Blackberrys (non OS V5) were super flexible in how I setup ring tones and notification alerts.

Before - Unique ringtone, volume, vibrate, etc for any event. One setting for in holster, and one setting for out of holster.

Now - V5 - You can only set up ONE setting that will either only be used for In holster, or out of holster, or always(both). So if you setup in holster to ring and vibrate, then what does out of holster do? I've been testing this myself but still haven't figured out a pattern yet.

Another example. I like to have my phone vibrate and ring in holster, and only ring out of holster. Easy before. now i can't do that. it has to vibrate both. or not vibrate both.

Maybe I'm not getting this. BUt I'm trying.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadysprings View Post
Another example. I like to have my phone vibrate and ring in holster, and only ring out of holster. Easy before. now i can't do that. it has to vibrate both. or not vibrate both.
I do the same thing and it's working fine. Set Play Sound to "Always", Vibration to "Custom", Vibrate to "In Holster", and Vibrate with Ring Tone to "On". That should do what you want.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Shadysprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard S. View Post
I do the same thing and it's working fine. Set Play Sound to "Always", Vibration to "Custom", Vibrate to "In Holster", and Vibrate with Ring Tone to "On". That should do what you want.
Thanks Howard. OK, this helps. Now all i need to do is figure out how to set different volume levels for in and out of holster.

For example, can you setup so in holster volume is 10, and out of holster is 5?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Don't see any way to do that.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Shadysprings

Wirelessly posted

Not the end of the world but why would RIM choose to eliminate a great feature?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

I remember when I first got the phone thinking that the ring options seemed limited compared to OS 4 that I had on my 8310. But overall I love OS 5.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
Shadysprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard S. View Post
I remember when I first got the phone thinking that the ring options seemed limited compared to OS 4 that I had on my 8310. But overall I love OS 5.
I'll go do a search of V4 vs V5, but are there any features that really jump out that you like better in V5?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

I like just about everything more with the new OS. From the threaded texts, to the overall look and feel of it. IMO it's definitely an improvement over OS 4.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
chaudhary9

Model: 9700
Carrier: Ufone

em new to bb
what do u mean by in hostler n out of hostler,i also saw that option but couldn't understand
Old 04-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhary9 View Post
em new to bb
what do u mean by in hostler n out of hostler,i also saw that option but couldn't understand
If you use one of the BB cases that includes a magnet that puts the BB to sleep, that magnet can also change the behavior or ringtones and vibration.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

The bigger one for me.... Before, I could have default sounds for each e-mail account. The e-mail tone was not tied to the contact. And I could have custom ringtones for contacts. That way, I always knew which account the e-mail was from; work, personal, gmail..etc. And I could also have another tone for SMS.

Now ALL messages are treated to the same tone per client. :( This is a matter of prioritizing my response time. Personal e-mail has a longer response time for me than work e-mail. And SMS gets a higher priority. Now with each contact getting only one tone for messages of any kind, I have lost that ability to prioritize my response.

If I could just set the contact messages tone to go to Active Profile just like all the OTHER Contact messaging options, this would be a piece of cake. But as it now stands, anytime I assign a custom ringtone, I loose all the profile alerts for any type of messaging. :(
Old 04-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
Shadysprings

OS4 was much better thought out than OS5 when it comes to ringtones and alerts.
Not sure why RIM messed it up?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
CanuckBB

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
The bigger one for me.... Before, I could have default sounds for each e-mail account. The e-mail tone was not tied to the contact. And I could have custom ringtones for contacts. That way, I always knew which account the e-mail was from; work, personal, gmail..etc. And I could also have another tone for SMS.

Now ALL messages are treated to the same tone per client. :( This is a matter of prioritizing my response time. Personal e-mail has a longer response time for me than work e-mail. And SMS gets a higher priority. Now with each contact getting only one tone for messages of any kind, I have lost that ability to prioritize my response.

If I could just set the contact messages tone to go to Active Profile just like all the OTHER Contact messaging options, this would be a piece of cake. But as it now stands, anytime I assign a custom ringtone, I loose all the profile alerts for any type of messaging. :(
I can set a different tone/vibrate pattern for each account.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #16
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadysprings View Post
Wirelessly posted

Not the end of the world but why would RIM choose to eliminate a great feature?
They didn't eliminate anything - it works with an in-holster and out-of-holster profile just fine. You just have to understand how to use the new UI on 5.0. If you play around in the profile settings, you'll understand exactly how they work and how to setup unique profiles for in and out of holster.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Closed Thread