BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
mrs_snuggles

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question Curve lost most of my text messages - can they be retrieved?

Please Login to Remove!

hi guys,

this morning i realized that my blackberry curve lost almost all my text messages . i had text messages from about 3 months on it, and now it only shows the text messages for the past few days. on the options, my setting is "keep messages forever". so auto-delete can't be the problem.

my memory was running kind of low because i had a lot of e-mails on it. i already deleted all e-mails since i don't need them once i've read them. however, i would really love to get my text messages back. one of the lost messages has really important information that i need badly

do you think that the curve overwrites old text messages if it's running out of memory? i deleted all extra languages when i first set it up and i also deleted the little movie that came with it (the blackberry commercial). so my memory wasn't that bad to begin with.

i have a back up that's about 3 weeks old. if i just replace the existing database with the blackberry desktop manager, than all my current text messages will be gone, right? is there a way to merge the existing text messages on my device with the old ones that are saved on my laptop? then at least i'd only be missing all my text messages that i've received within the past 3 weeks.

any ideas what to do? i'd really appreciate your input!

thanks so much
Old 06-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Sorry to say, but you're out of luck. Sounds like low memory is why they were deleted, but unless you have a backup with them on it, there's little that can be done. In addition, you can't merge one with the other...if you re-load the database of SMS messages from 3 weeks ago, you will lose the current messages.

It's why I back up my handheld every day.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
mrs_snuggles

oh boy, that's really bad news. there's really no way to merge them?

the thing is, i wasn't even really low on memory. but both my call logs and text messages are deleted prior to june 22nd. i guess that's a clear sign that my memory was too low, right?

i just can't believe that you'd actually loose such important data on such a smart device. seems like it's not such a smart phone after all.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

What it's doing, when the memory is low, is preventing other things, like the address book, calendar, and, well, operating system, from having to purge things considered more important.

There really is no way to merge the old messages with new, sorry. For what it's worth, if they were that important, how come you didn't back the handheld up more recently or save those important texts in your saved messages folder?

Your only option to protect all your data is to do consistent backups. Or delete things on your handheld that don't need to be there. Remove the sample video, extra language inputs that you don't need, etc. There are many things that you can do to prevent the problem from happening again.

Last edited by Pizzle; 06-28-2007 at 11:11 PM..
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #5
ldub
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint

Uh oh...possible memory leak issues on the Curve? Boy, and I thought they would have fixed that issue after the Pearl.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Be sure you're using an SD card for your pics, as well. Then go into the media options and reduce the allocated memory for pictures . That helps, too.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
al_ctsurgpa@yahoo.com

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

Having same issue with my Pearl 8100. There are a number of post related to this problem. I am frustrated. Purchased 8100 about 2 weeks ago. Love the size and most things about it. this is a deal breaker. I was looking to see if curve was having same problem and came across this thread. I am very disapointed. I have done all the recomendations about making memory space and changing the media memory settings. Last night at the Iphone launch I was speaking with the sales guy I bought my pearl from. Told him the issue. The senior guy in the data specialty area was there. He grabbed the unit made settings changes in the media setting again. Something like setting the memory reserved for pics to 2mb. Said " there you will not have that problem again". I am sitting here at work. Just did a sync with my macbook went back and picked up phone and woah! all my SMS, EMAIL, PHONELOG stuff all gone! So this is a real problem and who knows when or why it is happening. I like the blackberries but this really stinks the high heaven. I don't want to spend $500 on a Iphone but if it works... I need to learn how to type on glass! now. I want a blackberry that works! I am sure there are others out there that want to vent. These things have been around for a while, they should be able to hold on to there phone log and messages! Messages are there specialty right!!?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 AM   #8
mrs_snuggles

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle View Post
For what it's worth, if they were that important, how come you didn't back the handheld up more recently or save those important texts in your saved messages folder?

Your only option to protect all your data is to do consistent backups. Or delete things on your handheld that don't need to be there. Remove the sample video, extra language inputs that you don't need, etc. There are many things that you can do to prevent the problem from happening again.
Hi Pizzle,

Sorry for replying so late, I was offline for almost 2 weeks (no laptop).
To answer your question: I did not back up my handheld more recently because for the past 9 years, I only had very smart and clever Nokia phones. They wouldn't ever delete my data just like that. If a Nokia phone runs low on memory, it lets me know. Then I have the option to delete messages myself. I never ever deletes data on its own, it would just not download a new message until I made more space available.
Very smart.

And seriously: what is it with all those steps to get extra memory space (like removing the sample video, removing the extra input languages, changing the space allowed for media, keeping the calender inputs for a shorter time ...and so on and so forth).
Seriously, what's up with that?? This is supposed to be a smart phone, not a dumb phone assembled in China. This is stupid crap.

Blackberry is a big disappointment to me. I have to say I really like my device (the Curve), but I don't think that my next phone will be a Blackberry again.
I'm not a 15 year old teenager who has time to do all these hideous steps on the phone just to get memory space. I'm a 30 something year old business owner, my equipment needs to work perfectly.

Why can't the phone just let me know that I'm running low on memory?
This is really just very, very stupid. There is no other way to put it.

Blackberry Curve = Big disappointment.
Under-engineered phone that was released on the market too early. Those flaws should have been corrected first.
Closed Thread