BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
mattengland

Model: 7100
Carrier: AT&T
Default How to tell vibrate difference from email and phone/voice call?

Please Login to Remove!

I want to be able to easily tell difference between when I receive a phone/voice call and when I receive an email. I exclusively use vibrate mode on my Blackberry 7100g via Cingular.

Currently, both an email and a phone call "feel" the same in the first 2 "vibrates", the only difference being that the phone "vribates" thorugh more pulses then the email...and thus I find myself waiting to see if I get a 3rd pulse (for a phone call) and often end up missing calls.

Any suggestions on how I can remedy this? eg, How can I get distinctive vibrate pulses for email vs. phone/voice calls?

Thanks,
-Matt
Old 05-06-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

great question - would love to know this myself! Any ideas from those who have been using these profiles for a while now?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have the same problem I have NOT been able to figure anything out with different profiles as there doesn't seem to be a different buzzer setting for each ringtone. Would love a hero to find a workaround for this.
-r
Old 05-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
mattengland

Is it correct to assume that there is no currnet solution to this problem?

If so, how can one request a feature upgrade from Blackberry software creators? Is there a means to get a "driving force" behind it to show that the feature is greatly in demand (like I suspect this one will be) that might generate a higher priority for said feature's introduction? (I'm hoping there's a web reference for a recommended process for just this sort of thing and that it's been executed before.)

Thanks for any help,
-Matt
Old 05-09-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
mattengland

Question

Any ideas now how we might pursue a feature upgrade to support this?

As I'm sure many of us do, I sometimes get hundreds of emails daily, and I would like to be able to distinguish email vibrate notifications from voice-phone-call notifications.

-Matt
Old 05-09-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g

Not only is being able to tell the difference between types of emssages a problem with the vibrate function, but I even have a problem telling the difference between audible alert tones, so I switched to "voice" type alerts, "You've got mail", "You have an incoming transmission", etc. Of course, they are no help when you need to be in a vibrate only mode.

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
mL
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Cool Use tone and Alert - Low Volume

I use the vibrate and tone with the volume on low for the tone and 1 beep. I change the tones for the type of message between SMS E-Mail, and calendar. It's not loud but you can tell the difference.

I did spend a few minutes planning out the profiles in/out of holster.

E.G. I use BBUFO for a mail message and BBFireside for SMS and BBCalendar for Reminders.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
mattengland

Thanks for this input. I'm not following exactly how these recommendations work, but I'm sure I can learn more later as I study the blackberry in more detail.

The high-level question I still have: is there a way to make non-audible/silent (ie, vibrate-only) unique between voice calls and email messages? Do the above recommendations allow one to do this?

-Matt
Old 05-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
mattengland

I'm still searching for a way to silently differentiate email and voice-call vibrate signals.

Any suggestions?
-Matt
Old 05-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
chilliwilli

Model: 7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattengland
I want to be able to easily tell difference between when I receive a phone/voice call and when I receive an email. I exclusively use vibrate mode on my Blackberry 7100g via Cingular.

Currently, both an email and a phone call "feel" the same in the first 2 "vibrates", the only difference being that the phone "vribates" thorugh more pulses then the email...and thus I find myself waiting to see if I get a 3rd pulse (for a phone call) and often end up missing calls.

Any suggestions on how I can remedy this? eg, How can I get distinctive vibrate pulses for email vs. phone/voice calls?

Thanks,
-Matt

Go to profiles - choose edit - select which feature to edit - edit tune
Old 05-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #11
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

chilliwilli--
In my understanding this does make distictive the way the phone vibrates in the holster upon phone call vs. email.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:57 PM   #12
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Changing the "tune" under vibrate options , at least on the 7290, will not give an option for different vibrations. the only plausable solution is to set the number or beeps, or in this case, the number of vibrations for each feature.

example

3 beep "vibration" for phone calls
1 Beep "vibration" for emails