BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
ofelas
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Default Pay per Use Verizon Blackberry data without monthly plan?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I have the $25 (10MB) data plan on Verizon's BB 8703e, and I switched to the Pay-per-Use plan as I rarely use more than half MB data per month.

My online account details now correctly say "Pay-per-Use" & "Blackberry Provision".
Soon after she did this, I get the Data Connection Refused message on my screen.

I rebooted, rebooted again with a battery pull, updated service books, re-entered ESN, re registered Host Routing Table, rebooted in between all them steps, and turned Wireless On & Off.

No luck; any ideas?

Last edited by ofelas; 04-24-2007 at 07:20 PM..
Old 04-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

No such, there are no pay per use plans for the BlackBerry. Either you have a BlackBerry Data Plan or you have nothing. There's no work around.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
ofelas

Hi finch, that's what I thought as well, so I called the Verizon Customer Service again & he said he didn't realize it as well, but there is a pay-per-use BB data option, which they now reference as a BlackBerry Provision $0 monthly plan.

I edited my post above to reflect this, because apparently the Pay-per-Use is now considered a Data Plan, go figure.
However, the Rep couldn't figure out why I still get a Data Connection Refused message, and said I may have to do *228 but Tech Support would know better.
Also, I found this -
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - PDA PHONES NEED DATA PLANS: Here they are. Quit asking.
Any ideas on how to get PIN/emails again?
Thx.

Last edited by ofelas; 04-24-2007 at 07:24 PM..
Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

How to get your email and PIN messages back? A BB Data Plan, perhaps? I think Finch already answered your question. Pay as you go doesn't get it. You might get internet via TCP with pay as you go, at the most.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
ofelas

JSanders - did you click the link I posted above?
Is that info incorrect?
Would love to know,
Thx!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

There's really no practical way to establish a pay-per-use BB data plan. The BB needs to be able to constantly communicate with RIM's infrastructure. However, regardless of the "why" of the matter the practical issue is that things worked when you had a BB data plan and now they don't. If you need it to work then choose the known good option unless VZW can point you to people who are successfully using this alleged PPU BB data plan...

The thread you linked to is irrelevant to BB data plans. Other data devices can easily use pay-per-use data plans because they don't rely on a backend like the BB does.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-25-2007 at 09:18 AM..
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

ofelas the HowardForums topic is about PDA phones and data usage which is different than the BB data plan. To be able to access email and internet you will need the BB data plan in place. There are the different BB plans through VZW that go all the way up to unlimited. I have never heard of "pay per use" BB plan, but this is something that can be done with regular WAP capable non-Blackberry phones for those people who do not use as much data and pay per use is cheaper for them as opposed to a data package.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
JSanders - did you click the link I posted above?
Is that info incorrect?
Would love to know,
Thx!
Yes, I did read it, before I responded to you above, vis-a-vi my comments. No, that information is not correct for a BB.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
pronerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch View Post
No such, there are no pay per use plans for the BlackBerry. Either you have a BlackBerry Data Plan or you have nothing. There's no work around.
Verizon offers a pay per use plan you can get with a BB, but it does not include the BB service so you can not use the browser, MMS, or email. I did this for a while and it racked up about 5k - 20k of data use per day which only comes to $5 - $15 per month. This is a lot cheaper than a data plan if you dont want the BB services.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
pronerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
My online account details now correctly say "Pay-per-Use" & "Blackberry Provision".
Soon after she did this, I get the Data Connection Refused message on my screen.
I have run into a very simalure situation using a 8703e with Verizon. Since they told me I could buy, and use the phone without a data plan I have been holding them to it.

Here is what I have found so far. Most BBs are sold with data plans, so few people know how to correctly provision a BB with out one. If you are getting the "Data Connection refused" message on the screen they have set the network to block data, probably with out meaning to.

You can get a BB setup with a pay per use plan, but what you get when you do this is a phone with SMS. That is it. No internet access, no online data syncing, no email, and no MMS. Despite having no data services you will still get around 5k - 20k of data charges per day. I am guessing this is just the BB trying to connect.

I had called asking if Verizion had a way to log or see what was using the data. They did not know, and trying to be helpful they offered to remove the pay as you go data feature since I had no ability to use data. Leaving me with just the voice plan. This created a whole new mess they are currently working on, but in the mean time they set the phone to block all data and now I get that "Data Connection Refused" message.

When you call in you either want the tech support dept, or billing. I do not know why but the billing dept seems to have the most access to changes features on your account setup.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
cliffr39

Model: 8130
PIN: ask
Carrier: vzw

Verizon Wireless Announces The Next Evolution In Global Connectivity: The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone And Global BlackBerry Service

Verizon says they do have PAYG for BB but says "Data" so no 'instant' email or anything else BlackBerry'ish I believe. But way too much IMO:
Quote:
Customers can also add a xxx8220;Pay As You Goxxx8221; data feature to any qualifying voice plan for an additional $20 per Megabyte.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
pronerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
Quote:
Customers can also add a “Pay As You Go” data feature to any qualifying voice plan for an additional $20 per Megabyte.
Verizon's pay as you go rate is only $.015 per kb, or $15 per mega byte.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
tifosiv122
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronerd View Post
Verizon offers a pay per use plan you can get with a BB, but it does not include the BB service so you can not use the browser, MMS, or email. I did this for a while and it racked up about 5k - 20k of data use per day which only comes to $5 - $15 per month. This is a lot cheaper than a data plan if you dont want the BB services.
If you can't use the browser, MMS, or email, how did you use data at all?

Erik
Old 04-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

So in effect the "Pay per Use" is just text messaging. So like JSanders and takeshi said, this is not a BB plan but data use like with any MMS/SMS capable phone. Not specific to the BB but data. So you would not rack up data charges for email or internet browsing since this would not be a posibility without the BB data plan. It is understandable that you would get a data connection refused since this is part of the BB data plan, not Pay per Use. So yes you can get a pay per use data plan with any VZW capable phone, and no this is not a BB plan.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
ofelas

Hey, thanks all for the responses!
I took this opportunity to return my 8703e & will get the 8830 next month, with the $64.99 global BB data plan.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #16
cliffr39

Model: 8130
PIN: ask
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronerd View Post
Verizon's pay as you go rate is only $.015 per kb, or $15 per mega byte.
I didn't just pull that out of the air, that is directly from the link I provided. That is the rate Verizon is telling people in yesterdays press release, so perhaps they raised the PPU rates?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #17
pronerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post
If you can't use the browser, MMS, or email, how did you use data at all?
That is what I want to know. No one can tell me though.
Closed Thread