BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
ivyesq
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Smile Verizon 8703e -- Big Problem Charging Via USB (FIXED)

Please Login to Remove!

I'm using Windows Vista Premium Edition.

When I plug in my 8703e into the USB port, the computer finds the driver but then gives the error message that the driver was found but could not be installed because "there is not enough storage space to complete the operation."

So, I read that there is a windows update for the device and I clicked on windows update. There was an update for the blackberry, but after downloading, the installation also fails and gives an error message.

Then I tried to download the usb driver straight from microsoft. I downloaded the driver and tried to update the driver through device manager. The computer recognizes the driver, but once again installation fails.

Under device manager 4.2 SP1, I could not detect the device either. I'm now downloading device manger SP2 to see if it helps.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem, so that I can charge my device via USB in Vista. I never had problems with XP with charging.

Last edited by ivyesq; 06-05-2007 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: PROBLEM FIXED -- SEE MY SOLUTION BELOW
Old 06-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
crazydude
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: att & vzw
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyesq View Post

When I plug in my 8703e into the USB port, the computer finds the driver but then gives the error message that the driver was found but could not be installed because "there is not enough storage space to complete the operation."

So, I read that there is a windows update for the device and I clicked on windows update. There was an update for the blackberry, but after downloading, the installation also fails and gives an error message.

Then I tried to download the usb driver straight from microsoft. I downloaded the driver and tried to update the driver through device manager. The computer recognizes the driver, but once again installation fails.

Under device manager 4.2 SP1, I could not detect the device either. I'm now downloading device manger SP2 to see if it helps.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem, so that I can charge my device via USB in Vista. I never had problems with XP with charging.
Try this out. Not guaranteed though

got to BlackBerry™ 4.x Software Download download desktop software 4.2 (ie. desktop)
go to control panel under user accounts make sure User Access Protection (UAP) is enabled
now right-click the desktop 4.2 file you downloaded and click run as administrator. (click through all annoying pop up's)
when done installing plug in your blackberry.

hopefully it should work. works on vista ultimate

Last edited by crazydude; 06-04-2007 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: fixed url
Old 06-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
ivyesq

Default Didn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude View Post
Try this out. Not guaranteed though

got to BlackBerry™ 4.x Software Download download desktop software 4.2 (ie. desktop)
go to control panel under user accounts make sure User Access Protection (UAP) is enabled
now right-click the desktop 4.2 file you downloaded and click run as administrator. (click through all annoying pop up's)
when done installing plug in your blackberry.

hopefully it should work. works on vista ultimate

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work. Anyone else know of any ways to make my computer detect the blackberry when I plug it into USB.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work. Anyone else know of any ways to make my computer detect the blackberry when I plug it into USB.
Pull the battery for about 30 seconds and then let the BB reboot. That seems to fix a number of ills.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

try deleting all the BB software and re-booting. Sometimes Vista being so smart will reuse a driver( it may be corrupted ) it finds already on the pc. you may also have to delete the usb drivers and reinstall them. when you are sure the PC is working with all factory drivers and after a reboot, reload the BB software. dont forget to use admin level if you have multiple users .

Good Luck

Last edited by tsac; 06-04-2007 at 09:46 PM..
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
OVERKILL
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

There will be the Windows driver for the device, typically installed via Microsoft Update, and then there will be the RIM driver for the device, which comes with the desktop manager software. You should be able to CHOOSE which driver you want to use by going to device manager and manually installing the driver, but choosing which driver you want to install, rather than letting Windows search.

I have had 4.2 SP1 and now 4.2 SP2 running on Vista Home Premium, and my 8700 installed and worked without issue. There was an issue with 4.2 SP1 though, that after a while of letting it run, when you plugged in the BB, the Desktop Manager software would crash and need to be restarted. This was fixed in SP2.
Blackberry user since 2001.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
ivyesq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Pull the battery for about 30 seconds and then let the BB reboot. That seems to fix a number of ills.

Thanks, but this didn't work either...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
pronerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:

Sorry I know this is not helpful or what you probably want to hear but my thought would be to revert back to XP if you can. It seems almost nothing is committable with Vista. Sure lots of things install, and maybe even start but then you find lot so weird hiccups and bugs.

I gave up on Vista after 3 weeks and went back to XP. I am much happier now. You can always re-install Vista in 6 - 12 months when there will hopefully be some support for it.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
ivyesq

Smile Problem Fixed

Thanks for all the responses. After being obsessive compulsive and spending my entire day yesterday trying to fix this, I tried a solution this morning that I've been using since the days of Windows 95. I got by Vista CD which was provided by Dell and reinstalled Vista using the upgrade option. Low and behold, the problem is fixed and Vista now discovers the blackberry and I'm able to charge it.

On a side note, reinstalling Vista also fixed a problem that I had and that I noticed on other Vista forums. For some reason, I could not rename or move new folders no matter where I created them.

So, after speaking with techs from Dell, RIM, and Verizon, and posting on numerous message boards, I ended up fixing the problem myself, with a solution that I've been falling back on for over a decade.

I hope this helps someone...
Closed Thread