Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
llxtheonexll
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default battery drain, unknown cause?

Please Login to Remove!

So I unplug my 8320 from the charger before I go to work. Its at 100% I listen to two songs on the way to work, exit out of media player and get to work. A few hours later on my break, I take it out of the oem leather holster to see that its already on low batt red status! When I hit alt + back to view the open apps, I see there's nothing running except the usuals - browser, messages, call log, home, and bb messenger! I have no idea why this happened. I've only had my bb for a month and a half. Has anyone else experienced any problems with their battery like this? Does anyone know what could be the cause?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by llxtheonexll View Post
So I unplug my 8320 from the charger before I go to work. Its at 100% I listen to two songs on the way to work, exit out of media player and get to work. A few hours later on my break, I take it out of the oem leather holster to see that its already on low batt red status! When I hit alt + back to view the open apps, I see there's nothing running except the usuals - browser, messages, call log, home, and bb messenger! I have no idea why this happened. I've only had my bb for a month and a half. Has anyone else experienced any problems with their battery like this? Does anyone know what could be the cause?
Did you install any third party applications? Is your Blue Tooth on? What about UMA?

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
llxtheonexll

No I haven't installed anything new for weeks. And uma was not available so I don't think it had anything to do with that. I also haven't used my bluetooth at all with this bb yet. : /
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
No I haven't installed anything new for weeks. And uma was not available so I don't think it had anything to do with that. I also haven't used my bluetooth at all with this bb yet. : /
I'm not sure. It may be a defective battery. Do a battery pull this evening to make sure everything is closed reinsert and charge it up overnight. If it occurs again tomorrow you consider replacing the battery.

Good Luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

either the battery is bad or there is some app that is running in the background. I know using GPS and either BBMaps or GoogleMaps will help drain the battery.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
blue0745
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

You may also want to check if you're signal strength is weak at the office. If you're radio is searching for a signal all morning that will drain the battery.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
llxtheonexll

Well if a program was running in the background, wouldn't it appear when you press alt + esc? And if I had to replace the battery, does anyone know if t-mobile would do that as part of insurance? Or would I have to buy a new one from a 3rd party?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
blue0745
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Well if a program was running in the background, wouldn't it appear when you press alt + esc? And if I had to replace the battery, does anyone know if t-mobile would do that as part of insurance? Or would I have to buy a new one from a 3rd party?
I called TMO about a battery issue pretty soon after I purchased the phone. They sent me a new battery no questions asked.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
llxtheonexll

Alright I pulled the batt right after I unplugged it today at 100%. I'm now at 70% a few hours later after doing nothing but sending a few texts and viewing this forum. Not as bad as yesterday but I still don't remember the battery draining this fast weeks ago. Well I've had my bb for at least a month now. Would t-mobile still replace the batt after this time?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
blue0745
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Alright I pulled the batt right after I unplugged it today at 100%. I'm now at 70% a few hours later after doing nothing but sending a few texts and viewing this forum. Not as bad as yesterday but I still don't remember the battery draining this fast weeks ago. Well I've had my bb for at least a month now. Would t-mobile still replace the batt after this time?
I had mine for two months when they replaced it.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
llxtheonexll

Oh ok. Did u have to file an insurance claim or turn in ur bb or anything? Or do they just ask for the battery and give u a new one?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
blue0745
Thumbs Must Hurt

No claim needed. The phone is still under the manufacture's warranty. After a short phone call with tech support, they offered to send the new battery. They do not require you return the original battery.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:04 AM   #13
llxtheonexll

UPDATE: I went to my local T-mobile to inquire on how to get a new battery. I forgot that I had a friend that worked there and when I told him my problem, he took out a new 8320 box and swapped my battery with a new one right then and there. 8)
Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #14
pheng617
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24408F92
Carrier: Tmobile

is your bluetooth enabled? turn that off cause it constantly searches for others
Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
llxtheonexll

Ok. This sucks. Today is my first day using a brand new battery with my 8320 and once again it is down to 40% with minimal usage! I had it full charged and did nothing but make one short phone call and a few texts all day. I first thought it might be opera mini but I didn't even open that app once today. Has anyone heard of a defective 8320 draining the battery and not the battery itself? I'm really frustrated with this. Is this normal?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
debbiehope

Model: 8310
Carrier: att
Exclamation Battery Drain

I am having the same problem. I use AT&T. I have had my BB for about 6 weeks. I had commented on its long battery life....until about 4 days ago. Now it is draining out to zip in a day with virtually no usage. ( I am taking a class so it is on silent all day.)
I am anxious to hear what the problem is.
[email address]

Quote:
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #17
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110

First, check that you really are exiting your apps, not just suspending them - and don't count on ALt+back to show you everything.

Second, check to see which radios you have switched on, which off.

Third, double check your charging; if it's from a PC, does the port have the BB driver on it? If it's from the wall, is it at 350, 500 or 800mA and 5V? Some third-party chargers are wimpy.

Fourth, blame the forum - with all the posts here all the time, making your battery run those laps could be giving it a heart attack. (;)
Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 AM   #18
Drewdatrip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Uninstall any and all 3rd party apps. do a bat pull leave it out for 1min. pop bat back in and charge to full. use as normal.
Consider using with or without the holster

See what happens

Drew
Old 06-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #19
llxtheonexll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBW View Post
First, check that you really are exiting your apps, not just suspending them - and don't count on ALt+back to show you everything.

Second, check to see which radios you have switched on, which off.

Third, double check your charging; if it's from a PC, does the port have the BB driver on it? If it's from the wall, is it at 350, 500 or 800mA and 5V? Some third-party chargers are wimpy.

Fourth, blame the forum - with all the posts here all the time, making your battery run those laps could be giving it a heart attack. (;)
Alright, first, how do I check that I am really exiting my apps, if not alt+back?

Second, I usually only have mobile network and wi-fi switched on and bluetooth switched off.

Third, I charge from the wall. And how do i check if its at 350, 500, or 800mA and 5V? All I know is that I'm using the original OEM AC charger that came in the box from T-mobile for my 8320.

One more thing, I'm not sure if this has something to do with the issue (and please don't blame it like everyone does unless you really think it might be the problem)... I'm running the beta 4.5.018. :\

Last edited by llxtheonexll; 06-02-2008 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

With regard to #1
Hit the alt + esc key and the only icons you should see are mail, messenger, phone, browser and home screen.

If you see anything else, click on it and close

LET'S GO CANES!
Closed Thread