Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I deleted, rebooted my Bold 9700, and reinstalled Kik v0.9.4.41543 today.

Regarding my KikContacts, one of my KikContacts whom I used KikSMS with on an earlier occasion shows up with the name as the phone number (1abcdefghi) as well as the phone number being the same phone number "(1ab) cde-fghi". I reported this issue using the Kik "bugs" menu as well as forwarded it to Ted.

My having deleted, rebooted, and reinstalled Kik today unfortunately didn't make a difference.
We have discovered the issue! Any person that you have Kik SMS'd with before is what you would call a 'ghost' user. After a ghost user has upgraded to Kik - there is a bug with the server that does not register the name - so it simply shows up with the number as the name. We're working on eradicating this and I will let you know as soon as I find a workaround for it.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - I'm trying to find a fix
Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #42
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tera_kristen View Post
We have discovered the issue! Any person that you have Kik SMS'd with before is what you would call a 'ghost' user. After a ghost user has upgraded to Kik - there is a bug with the server that does not register the name - so it simply shows up with the number as the name. We're working on eradicating this and I will let you know as soon as I find a workaround for it.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - I'm trying to find a fix
Thanks for looking into this.

I don't believe that I'm experiencing this exact issue. I will have to speak with the person whether he installed Kik on his phone but I believe that he is still using a dumbphone and doesn't have Kik. Actually, the format of what I see for this user is that his name shows up as his phone number but in the format of "1abcdefghij" and his phone number shows up as his phone number and in the format of "(abc) def-ghij". I'm using letters to represent the digits and the display is more to indicate the format of the phone number and what is displayed as his name (i.e. his phone number but in the above format). He doesn't have the Kik "check" mark that indicates that he is using Kik which is another reason why I believe that he hasn't installed Kik on his phone. When I select this user, it shows that I'm able to either "Invite 1abcdefghij to join Kik" or "Chat via Kik SMS" with this user (which also leads me to believe that he isn't using Kik). I'm also able to determine that I've KikSMS with him (after figuring out who this user was) because his phone number just shows up as "(abc) def-ghij" instead of "Mobile: (abc) def-ghij" which is what it shows up as if I didn't use KikSMS or KikChat with a particular user.

With one of the users whom I have KikSMS before but she has since installed Kik (for the Android platform), she shows up normally which is to say that her name shows up as whatever she configured her Kikname on her phone and her phone number shows up in the correct format as "(abc) def-ghij" and most importantly, she has the Kikcheck mark next to her name to indicate that she is using Kik.

One thing that I noticed today is that my KikContact list now doesn't contain all the users in my Contacts. The users who show up on my KikContact list appear to be either people whom I've recently added to my Contacts, Kiksters whom I've KikChatted with, as well as Contacts whom I've KikSMS with in the past. There are 2 users who are "old" Contacts whom I have never used KikSMS/KikChat on who show up in my KikContact list but all the other users satisfy the criteria above which is confusing.

I'm looking forward to the next upgrade whether full or beta which will hopefully fix the above 2 problems.

My Tech Blog
Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #43
tera_kristen

Hi -

I just want to let you know that if you downloaded your latest version of Kik Messenger from www[dot]kik[dot]com/m - you may want to try re-downloading (you can get it from that site). There have been some issues with the release from that site - but it has been fixed now. This may solve some little problems people have been having.

Also, lcmjipo - I don't know if this will help you at all but if you're messaging with anyone that you know has Kik installed and their name is not showing up (it's just a number) - that person can fix that by re-entering their name in Settings exactly how they entered it when they registered.

Please let me know how it goes...
Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #44
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tera_kristen View Post
Also, lcmjipo - I don't know if this will help you at all but if you're messaging with anyone that you know has Kik installed and their name is not showing up (it's just a number) - that person can fix that by re-entering their name in Settings exactly how they entered it when they registered.
Thanks for your reply.

My problem isn't what you've indicated since the person who appears as a phone number for both the name and the phone number entry on Kik isn't actually using Kik. I verified his phone today and he is still using his dumbphone which I have been sending KikSMS to. There is no way for him to re-enter his name since he is not using Kik.

I've deleted Kik, rebooted, reinstalled Kik from Blackberry App World, tested it, deleted Kik rebooted, reinstalled Kik from the "m" URL, tested it, deleted Kik, rebooted, reinstalled from the "s" URL that is part of the signature of KikSMS messages, tested it, deleted Kik, rebooted and reinstalled from the "beta" URL and my problem exists regardless of which Kik "version" that I use from the current download locations.

For me, I think that the phone number appearing for this KikContact as both his name and his phone number won't be fixed until some forced reset/resynchronization happens within the Kik program itself. I believe that this bug/error that I'm experiencing is now "permanently" registered on Kik's server. The reason for this observation is that I powered off my Blackberry and deleted Kik from my iPhone, reinstalled Kik on my iPhone but used my Blackberry's phone number to register and the problem with the KikContact followed the SIM card so the mistake appears within Kik's server for the KikContact whom I've KikSMS with. At first after the installation on my iPhone with my Blackberry's phone number as registration, the information was correct and everything matched my iPhone's contacts (including the correct spelling with one of my contacts appearing correctly in the KikContact listing).

However, after about 15 minutes, Kik must have downloaded the KikContact list from Kik's server because the problem with the KikContact showing up as only a phone number appeared for the first time on my iPhone 3GS and the spelling mistake that I had for one of my contacts reappeared in the KikContact listing. It is also during this ~15 minutes that my Kikster friends' name reverted from what their names are in my phone's Contacts (but with the Kikster symbol) to what they decided to call themselves when they installed/configured/registered Kik on their phones.

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 07-28-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #45
lmcjipo

Today, for some reason, even more of the people (~15 people) in my KikContact listings is now showing up with the phone number being both their name and their number. This makes sending KikSMS difficult since I have to check my phone's regular contact list for the phone number of the individual and then go into Kik to see if I can find the phone number in the KikContact listing.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue where only the phone number shows up for their contacts?

My Tech Blog
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #46
dbltap

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Just as a data point... I do have Kik running on the 9800 and it is very reliable on OS 6. The "other" program caused all kinds of problems... including keeping the 9800 from being able to reach the BB network after switching from WiFi. :( Right now, Kik is the only one of the iPhone to BB messenger products I can get working on OS 6.0.0.141.

But that's goodness in and of itself.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #47
phavn03

Model: 8520
Carrier: T-Mobile

Does this app require a data plan? Can it be used over Wi-Fi without a data plan?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #48
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Not a fan. I have bbm and crunchsms and I don't pay international text rates. In fact most people don't. This app is obviously geared towards the "pay as you go model". I keep getting Texts from Kik with various confirmation codes. The program decided to text me to tell me that I know have kik? Wonderful. Must be for those rare times when someone installs an app on your phone and you missed it. Most of my contacts have multiple contact numbers, I love how all of those contacts now three different entries in the kik address list.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #49
phavn03

Model: 8520
Carrier: T-Mobile

It might be just me, but KiK drains my battery really fast. Does anyone else have this problem?

I am running OS 5.0.0.822 on Blackberry Curve 8520.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #50
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavn03 View Post
Does this app require a data plan? Can it be used over Wi-Fi without a data plan?
I've used it with WiFi and it works.

My Tech Blog
Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #51
tera_kristen

Default New Kik Messenger!

Hey hey!

I promised and now I will deliver. If you want to try the new Kik Messenger for BlackBerry that will be released as soon as the iPhone application is approved you can download it from the link provided.

There are a lot of new things going on with this version. For starters, you don't need to live in North America anymore and people around the world can download Kik Messenger. Also, we no longer rely on SMS to verify your Kik account and we're now using an email registration system which takes a username (rather than Kik Codes). With such a large amount of changes to the structure of the application the new Kik Messenger is not compatible with the old system so you won't be able to message anyone using the old Kik Messenger, but we are really pushing for everyone to upgrade. We're removing the Kik to non-Kik messaging it turned out not to be widely used - and the messaging is so fast and reliable now.

Anyway - head on over to Kik | Face-to-face texting to download it. Just remember you're going to be adding people by usernames instead of Kik Codes so if any of your friends are on the old Kik Messenger you can either provide them the download link (BlackBerry and Android only for this soft launch, iPhone coming ASAP). You can add me by username: terafromkik and let me know what you think!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #52
lmcjipo

I made the mistake of downloading it when my Blackberry App World detected that there was an update.

The only people that I use Kik to chat with are using it on iPhones or dumbphones (via SMS) since with my Blackberry friends, I use Blackberry Messenger.

Unfortunately, with the removal of the SMS feature to text dumbphones on this new version and it not being available on the iPhone platform until Apple approves it, after updating, I deleted it.

I'll probably check it out again on my Blackberry when I see it in the Apple Apps Store or when there is something to this program that differentiates it from similar cross-platform chatting programs like PingChat, Cnetd, etc. or from computer chatting programs with clients on phones (like GoogleTalk, MSN/LiveMessenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc.)

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 10-17-2010 at 10:29 AM..
Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #53
dbltap

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Tera... does this version not talk to the older versions? Looked like I had to do a complete new install with new IDs. And it is only seeing my two Blackberries... none of the older versions of friends on iPhones.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #54
tera_kristen

Hey everyone -

I hope you have gotten a feel for the app over the past couple days - don't give up on us yet!

@dbltap - you probably already know but your contact list will repopulate as your friends and family upgrade to the new Kik Messenger.

@lmcjipo - It is definitely available across all platforms now.

Let me know what you think
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #55
wildta

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Default Privacy Flaw, Sends SPAM, Shares Info w/o Authorization

Kik has a serious privacy flaw. Kik ties in a person's username with their email address. Kik then sorts through the person's addressbook to find potential friends. This is considered a major privacy issue because a user may not want someone that is in their addressbook to know they have a Kik account--but they will because if they have your email address then they also have your Kik username without authorization or adding that person to your friends list. I understand the usefulness of finding other Kik users quite easily but there should be an ability to turn off the feature that allows Kik to search for other Kik users in your addressbook and SPAMMING them with a "you may know" message.

There's a reason why Blackberry Messenger allows its users to accept/reject another user before they are able to message them, and that it doesn't just sift through the user's address book looking for other potential BBM users.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #56
tera_kristen

We hear you loud and clear my friend - please check out Ted's answer to your question on Get Satisfaction. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #57
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I notice that messages remain integrated with my mailbox even when I clear the box within the settings.

LET'S GO CANES!

Last edited by akosnitzky; 11-06-2010 at 08:48 AM..
Old 11-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #58
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Is the server down with this app? I cant send or login this afternoon

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #59
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

It was brought to my attention that the data keeps streaming with the app on tonight.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #60
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I noticed that when I type in KIk, there is constant data being transfered.

Since the server has been down my battery life is going fast, I am guessing it keeps trying to send my message out.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread