BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 04:22 AM   #1
DslLmi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Question Jabra JX10

Please Login to Remove!

I am looking on jabra's website and I see that there is a new head set the jabra JX10. Has anyong tried this with a blackberry yet..... And if so how about the 7520?

Nextel/Sprint 7520
PIN:400D4CF8
OS 4.1.0.273
Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslLmi
I am looking on jabra's website and I see that there is a new head set the jabra JX10. Has anyong tried this with a blackberry yet..... And if so how about the 7520?
Got mine today, charging it up, will do some testing over the next couple days and will report back.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
MGO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Jx10

Have had the following units with 8700c:

Cardo 500 - good reception, uncomfortable
Moto 850: not loud enough, uncomfortable
Bluespoon AX?: not loud enough and lost contact with 8700
Plantronics 640: charging issue, lost contact even when charged with 8700, complaints that others could not hear
Jabra BT500: hurt ear at end of day
Jabra 250: hurt ear at end of day
Flamingo: uncomfortable

I have had JX10 for 48 hours. PERFECT. Comfort I wear 10 hours minimum per day. No complaints for listeners or from me. Plenty loud.

Very happy. Best so far.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
dngo

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Got mine today and so far I love it. With most headsets with an ear loop, my glasses get in the way. I really liked my HS850, but the ear loop and my glasses forced the mic up against my face, which muffled my voice. The JX10 has worked perfectly so far, is plenty loud, and has performed well even in my convertible with the top down at 45MPH. The design is amazing - it's the best looking headset I've ever seen.

So far incoming and outgoing voice quality is excellent. I have not done any range testing yet, but that will come.

My experience has been with my 7105.

Dave
Old 01-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslLmi
I think you'll find that when it works, it's great. But when the DSP kicks in, watch out - lots of static and sometimes you'll be completely garbled to the listener. Also, the ear loop is awful - it disconnects way too easily. Every time I put it in my pocket, it fell off. Terrible design. Volume is OK, but nowhere near the Plantronics 640 and 510, which are better values in my opinion.

Too bad, because it's such a light, cool looking unit with a great charging base. Jabra almost has it right, but I'd wait for the next generation. There's just too many negatives to spend so much money.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Ylenroc

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngo
The JX10 has worked perfectly so far, is plenty loud, and has performed well even in my convertible with the top down at 45MPH. The design is amazing - it's the best looking headset I've ever seen.

So far incoming and outgoing voice quality is excellent. I have not done any range testing yet, but that will come.

My experience has been with my 7105.

Dave

Dave - thanks for this! I've been a lurker here and have read lots and lots of bluetooth headset reviews (this is my first actual post), but I've been looking for one that will sound the best in a convertible. Of course, I guess I'll have to limit my driving speed to 45 MPH if I get this one

Mike
Old 01-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

While I haven't tested this headset, so far every headset with DSP I have tested tends to create drop outs in speech when the noise level raises to the point where it really kicks in. It's too bad but that is the reality.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-14-2006, 03:39 AM   #8
Kwik TSi

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
While I haven't tested this headset, so far every headset with DSP I have tested tends to create drop outs in speech when the noise level raises to the point where it really kicks in. It's too bad but that is the reality.

I bought mine the day after Christmas and I love it.. Some of my friends see no difference and some of them hate it when I talk to them on it.. Im not crazy about the DSP killing my voice when im in a loud environment (unfortunately for me its about 75% of my work day) but otherwise for me money well spent.. I put it on and forget about it till it starts ringing..

2003 Mercedes S600 - "The Bling" - 508rwhp
93 Mustang Notchback - "The Race Car"
94 TBird Super Coupe - "The Spare Race Car"
Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
barjohn

I'm not quite sure why you would love a headset that works poorly for 75% of your work day. For me it has to work well 99% of my work day or it doesn't make my list of recommended headsets. The DSP issue is a non starter for most folks no matter how it looks. My wife would be pissed if I called her on a device like that. When I tested the Jabra BT800 that was exactly how she reacted so it went.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #10
Ylenroc

John,

I've read all of your reviews and really thank you for your efforts on testing the headsets. In your opinion, what would be the best for use in a convertible, then? I do most of my headset driving (on a 7290) in my car, and whenever possible, I have the top down. I have a wired Jabra now that is pretty good, but would love to go to a bluetooth. That's why I was excited about Dave's review of the X10 with the top down.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
barjohn

The question you ask is difficult to answer. Let me explain. In my testing, virtually no headset has done well in wind testing where the wind above 7-10 knots reaches the microphone. The ones with a wind sock do a little better but not a whole lot. What you can't tell is how much wind will reach the area around the microphone with the top down. This will vary from car to car and at different speeds. So I take with a grain of salt when someone says it worked with the top down. It really depends on how good a job the car designer did on wind buffeting the driver's face and head area. I do an open window test which does create some wind buffeting but not much. It really just increases the noise level. As you have probably read, the JX-10 does ok until the noise level reaches some threshold and then the DSP breaks up the speech. I have seen this with virtually every headset I have tested with DSP. At low & intermediate noise levels they can filter out the noise without a problem although they give the sound a digital quality that does not sound natural. Once the noise level increases beyond that threshold your listener cannot understand a word you say due to the chopiness and dropped parts of speech. The ety*com microphone is a patented means of performing noise cancellation and is in the dual ports and the way the diaphram is configured. The Boom headset uses two microphones some distance apart with one a nearfield microphone and the other a far field microphone to effect noise cancellation. These companies will quote you the actual decibals in noise cancellation and perform real acoustic testing. I was literally less than a foot from a speaker that was blaring so loud I could barely tolerate it and you can't hear it in my recording, only my voice. That is real noise cancellation. You could add a wind sock and it would help under windy conditions but real effective windsock are huge. Check ot the TV reporter at the scene during a hurricane and look at the microphone. It requires some real acoustic trickery and severl layers of dead airspace isolation to keep from creating the resonances you get from wind over the holes that allow sound in to the microphone. It is sort of like the effect of blowing over an open coke bottle. It will resonate at some frequency and the microphone will pick it up.

If your car produces a lot of wind buffeting around your head when you are driving at speed, I suspect that you will have a hard time finding any headset that works well, if it doesn't, then the Plantronics V510 with the wind sock may work very well for you. The Custom AX2 with a wind sock may also work well for you. A rather long winded explanation, but I hope it helps.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Ylenroc

John,

Thanks! As usual, you were very helpful. I've noticed that you really like the Flamingo - and now they do have a wind sock for it. Have you had a chance to test that? Maybe that's the right way for me to go (??).

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 01-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
barjohn

I like the Flamingo for ease of use, comfort (I think it has the best in the ear holder design of any in the earclick system) and good sound. It is not the best at noise reduction so for in car use top up or down, I'm not sure it would be my top choice. It like the D640 will pick up the tire and wind noise as you drive but your voice will be heard over the noise. The Custom AX2 is a very clear winner when you listen and compare. I have now added to the custom review a subsection of recording for in-car sounds.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
unboringuy

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I got the JX10 about a week ago, and I use it with the 7250 (but will be upgrading to the 7130e). Thus far, the sound is great on both sides of the conversation. The headset is light and feels very comfortable to me. I've tried turning up the radio in my car and using it to see if the DSP works well, and have had no problems. I have not used it with the convertible top down, as it is 28F here at the moment.

Parties on the other side of the conversation tell me that the sound quality is better than when I talk directly into the 7250, which they describe as quite tinny.

The only three downsides I have found thus far are (1) the earhook does pop off a bit too easily (although not while the headset is worn, only while in the pouch), (2) I hear a bit of white noise on my side, and (3) at $114 delivered it was a bit pricey.

Overall, I'd give this headset very high marks.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #15
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboringuy
I got the JX10 about a week ago, and I use it with the 7250 (but will be upgrading to the 7130e). Thus far, the sound is great on both sides of the conversation. The headset is light and feels very comfortable to me. I've tried turning up the radio in my car and using it to see if the DSP works well, and have had no problems. I have not used it with the convertible top down, as it is 28F here at the moment.

Parties on the other side of the conversation tell me that the sound quality is better than when I talk directly into the 7250, which they describe as quite tinny.

The only three downsides I have found thus far are (1) the earhook does pop off a bit too easily (although not while the headset is worn, only while in the pouch), (2) I hear a bit of white noise on my side, and (3) at $114 delivered it was a bit pricey.

Overall, I'd give this headset very high marks.
You're very lucky - my JX10 was absolutely horrible with any significant amount of background noise. Others have said the same thing. You may want to leave some messages for yourself with noisy conditions just to make sure everything is working OK.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #16
Ylenroc

Hi John,

I can tell that you absolutely love the Custom AX2 (or AX2 Pro), and said that they can be custom made by Bob (Mr. Wiskers). How can I get in touch with him?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #17
barjohn

Well love is a bit strong but I think it clearly outperforms the other headsets including some very good ones like the Plantronics D640, V510 and the Flamingo. It's only draw backs are: 1) you have to get used to the AX2 spring insert (unless you do as Bob suggests and get the custom ear inserts and 2) the mic can get in your way because you forget its there and can put stuff like food into it. PM me you contact information and I will forward it to Bob.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #18
unboringuy

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Did some tests with the JX10 in noisy conditions...called the same person with and without the JX10, and the sound quality, as reported by the receiver, was about the same.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #19
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell
Thumbs up Jx10

I got my JX10 yesterday. Just to show you how small and comfortable it is - at the dinner table that night, my wife said "What have you got sticking out of your ear?"

The sound quality is as good as the BT800 it replaces. It is the easiest headset to control I have ever used. One large button to both answer calls, end calls and turn the device on and off.

I haven't used it in a noisy environment, so I can't comment on that aspect. The only headset I found to work well in a noisy situation was the Sony-Ericsson Akono HBH-300. If you want a headset for a noisy situation you need one that brings the mic as close a possible to your mouth. It is an excellent device but the control buttons were so small I kept hitting the wrong button, or fumbling uselessly while trying to answer a call.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #20
rebb4u

Model: 7250
Default Capabilities of the JX10 with the BB7250

Can the JX10 do anything else with the 7250 other than receive calls? Is there any way to make calls directly from the bluetooth - like voice activation? Is there any BB that can actually do this (using Verizon)? Coming from a Motorola v710 with voice activation, although the BB can do loads more, the fact that there is no voice activation calling is terrible. What is out there in the BB world - or soon to come, perhaps, that can do this?
Thanks.
Closed Thread