skeevecr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
I was using an unlocked VZW Storm 1, in fact, but you're right; that was the cause of the EDGE issues. The Vodaphone Storm 2 is the 9520, and they're pretty scarce in the US. Those that do turn up on eBay have been going for about $600. Call me cheap, but that's just more than I feel like paying. I'm eligible for an upgrade from T-Mobile soon, but there's no sign of any Storm there yet. But my 8900 is a great device, so I'm willing to wait a while and see what comes along.
The exclusivity for VZW and Vodafone with the Storm 2 seems to have come to an end judging by this:

BlackBerry Storm2 (9520) Mobile Phone on Pay Monthly

While it isn't the t-mobile you want it does make it more likely that one will show up soon for you.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
kctech88

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Biggest problem I have with the Storm/iPhone/any other touch screens is that they don't make particularly good communication devices.

Yes, they run cool apps and all of that. I have an iPod touch I love. But try to compose any message of any real length on a touch screen. It's a monumental PITA. I can whip out a message on a BB in no time because the keyboard makes it easy to do so.

But even more importantly then that, I can type on my BB single handed, without looking at it. This makes it ever so easy to rattle off text or email, send, while at the same time talking to someone without looking down. I could never pull that off with a touch screen, not without being worried about sending gibberish.

The reality is, I just haven't found a touch screen that allows input fast enough to keep up with even a passable thumb typist. Not even close.

I'm not a big fan of the slide out (side) keyboard, because while more like a desktop keyboard, it is also done in such a way that it would require two hands to operate. This ignores one of the things that makes the BB so easy to work with. A complete keyboard within one hand.

But, que sera, it appears that may not be and the future may change that. Someone just needs to come out with a phone that just does full voice-to-text dictation with incredible accuracy and then I won't care.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #23
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Why not then use Dragon Naturally Speaking?!
Not sure if this is currently available ... but since RIM has a great relationship with Nuance ... this is the next frontier ... the next KILLER app of smartphones!
This alone will make touchscreen smartphones worth their weight .. until then the Storm 2 is a perfect compromise if any.

You may be looking for a Storm3 solution with a hardware platform similar to the Palm Pre or are many here hoping for a BB Pixi type device?

To be honest the Bold 3 should have stereo speakers and dual microphones for better multimedia and handsfree speaker phone fidelity.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctech88 View Post
Biggest problem I have with the Storm/iPhone/any other touch screens is that they don't make particularly good communication devices.

Yes, they run cool apps and all of that. I have an iPod touch I love. But try to compose any message of any real length on a touch screen. It's a monumental PITA. I can whip out a message on a BB in no time because the keyboard makes it easy to do so.
I use both BBs and the iphone and I personally can type faster on the touch screen then the cramped keyboard of my 9700.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #25
srvbb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctech88 View Post
But even more importantly then that, I can type on my BB single handed, without looking at it. This makes it ever so easy to rattle off text or email, send, while at the same time talking to someone without looking down. I could never pull that off with a touch screen, not without being worried about sending gibberish.
I have found the same thing but have tried to stop driving and texting, especially since I have retired my Tour in favor of my Storm

But I don't think is is right to characterize anyone critical of SurePress as an Apple Fanboy/Fanboi. They could be Droid or HTC or even Palm users.

So to slightly get back on topic, I like my Storm 1, like the Storm 2 better (but not enough to upgrade yet) so I'm really hoping the Storm 3 comes out this year.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #26
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
So again, you haven't used it; you don't know.

And playing with the Storm1 doesn't really qualify you have truly "used it". There's a big difference between the two, and Storm2 does work great. I used the Storm1 almost a year, and on the Storm2 now for six months. I can authoritatively state an opinion on both devices.

And of course, it's only your opinion that more hate it than like it. I don't think you've seen any quantitative data on that.
I totally agree.

I had the Storm 1 and hated it. While going through several phones lately I was real skeptical to give it a try but all of the great reviews convinced me to try it. I've always been a keyboard guy and have never been one for a touch screen but I was surprised how quickly I fell in love with it.

I can type much faster on this than any other blackberry I've ever owned. Personally, I love the click screen as it allows me to be precise with what I want to select and no more accidental typing. I've tried the iphone and droid but I was constantly making mistakes because it picked up on every little press. I don't have that problem now.

With that said, the only think I can see that would make the Storm II better would be a track pad/ball and faster speed. I still often find myself waiting for stuff to happen. The track pad would also help with quick "enter" and easier text selecting.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #27
whoscalling
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

-Hated Storm 1
-Love Storm 2 (albeit some tweaks needed)
-Looking forward to the Storm 3

I am a big believer of smartphone processor speed, I feel most smart phones today are under powered regarding processor. So I like what I am hearing in the rumor that it looks like speed has been increased. Let's hope that holds true!
Closed Thread