Old 12-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None
Default what you like/dont like

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys/gals

now that you have the 8900 curve and been using it a while, lets start off with what you love/like about the device... and one think thats bugging you (you dont like or cant stand)

i like:
- Keyboard is absolutely the best one they have made to date doesnt feel plasticy like the 83xx ones did.

- Screen is the most crisp bright and gorgeous i have ever seen on a phone, tho i wish it was a tad bigger...

- Camera is amazing for a 3.2 seriously, the day i got he device i was playing around with it and its damn good for what it is... i think i may not want to carry my digital camera around anymore

- Sexiness, well what can say about this... its fits perfectly in your hand, it attracts attention, its just a damn good looking device.

- Reception, is awesome, with my bold and 8820, in my office at work i would only get one maybe 2 bars of signal, now 3 or 4... not to bad... also, now i'm not sure if its the processor or the memory, but EDGE is faster for sure... even when tethering all my pages load way faster then they did with the 8820 (never used the bold for that)... so i dont know what could be the issue there

- Battery life is great, had 100% charge when i went to bed at the girls house, and then when we woke up about 9 hours later... with edge on, and wifi (UMA) on, and had received 4 calls(didnt answer) 6 SMS, 15 emails and a couple IMs (yes on a sunday) and i was still sitting at 95% when i got up and looked thats not bad at alll!!!

- Form factor, feels the best in your hand... i havent had a BB feel this good before, even the 83xx series didn't feel this good...

anyways enough of the pleasing... lol

i dislike:
the menu and back buttons, they way to hard to push in... also dont really like the micro USB, i dont know if its just mine or what, but whenever i put the charger plug in there its hard to get in and out... i dont know if that is just me or what...

so lets see what others have to say about there devices!

Last edited by Cory Scheuer; 12-14-2008 at 12:11 PM..
Old 12-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
pokey
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I agree with the above post 100%. The only reason I returned it was due to the very poor vibrate strength when the phone rings and I kept missing calls. The ringtone volume is also very poor. That is the deal breaker for me. Other than that it is a fantastic phone.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

** Camera (is finally acceptable quality for Family Albums and moments - and, as a Jewelry dealer, I can finally e-mail decent crisp pics, and, not feel bad I wasn't using my Omnia) Autofocus is great.
** Form Factor
** And, unlike Cory, I like the menu and back buttons, vs. the old Curve. The flat area (buttons) are like on my Bold. They have a smooth clicky feel to it, with a large area to press.
** UMA (at least when I get a T-Mobile USA 8900 that iwll support T-Mobile USA UMA, unlike my T-Mo German 8900 I have now)

Dislikes:
** Font issue - 9 is too big, 8 is too small (but I'm staying with 8). Should have done more real world testing with actual users on this issue, and, offered half fonts, on this terrificly crisp screen. They could offer in an OS upgrade, but, I doubt they will bother.
** Micro USB, but, this is alleviated with an adapter, as per my other thread.
** I guess RIM felt the slower than Bold processor was sufficient, as it is not 3g. But, I miss the slightly peppier feel of my Bold. I still will use the 8900 over it, though.

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com

Last edited by jeffharris; 12-14-2008 at 12:38 PM..
Old 12-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

yea i forgot to add the vibrate and ringtone loudness... i;m sure the loudness can be resolved in a OS update... but for now its not to bad, but could be better...

also i HATE the lack of accessories for this phone... there is nothing!!! i need a case and screen protector... NOTHING.... how can RIM release a device with no holsters.... no no no bad business sense...
Old 12-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

I really like the size/form factor, the lock button is great.

Keyboard is a great improvement over old curve but I think the Bold's keyboard is way better.

Camera is amazing.

The trackball seems to feel better than other BBs I've used. This doesn't really make sense as from what I read the trackball is the same but black, but I don't know... feels nicer for some reason ?

I don't really care about the micro usb, yeah I would like mini usb more since I have a car charger etc but it's the last thing I care about when choosing a phone..
Old 12-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
pokey

Do you really think that the vibration strength and the ringtone volume can be corrected with an OS update? I hope it can, but if it could why didn't they do it with the Bold? I would re-purchase the 8900 in a heartbeat if that issue was corrected. From what Rogers technical support told me (and I know that they are not always the best educated) is that it is a hardware issue that all new Blackberrys will have now.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

well i think the loudness of the ring tones can be fixed with a OS update, but i dont think about the vibration can be... because its like a switch, its either on or off... so that is a hardware feature... speaker can be, because if you listen to music its nice and loud and you can hear it... but ring tones are low.... so that is an OS thing
Old 12-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

You can boost your RT loudness with mp3gain. On my pearl I made them way too loud, on Medium they scare people!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

can you change the ring tones it comes with the phone? as far as i know you arent able to access those off a PC...

if you can how did you do that, and whats the link for that program...

thanks!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
plantagoo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile Germany

Hi!

My opinion:

* Overall great device!

BUT

* The MicroSD slot is crap - really! It killed two MicroSD cards around here already...

* I don't get it how anyone squeezes 9h battery life out of the device and have 95% charge left? I have to charge every day (without WIFI) and I didn't have any phone calls today (for example).

I wait for an all black cover...

Greetings
plant
Old 12-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
relichunterdr

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantagoo View Post
* The MicroSD slot is crap - really! It killed two MicroSD cards around here already...
Is this really that big of a problem? I had to remove my card 3 times now and never had any trouble. There is a little plastic tab to the left of the card that you pull back and then the microsd card just slides out.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx

I agree with your OP. I also like the fact theres a ton of memory available, with the internal architecture of the device allows it to operate smoother and faster than other models. This is the best form factor of a BlackBerry to date.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
YoYoSlap
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

I have to disagree with corey on the keyboard issue. Its a huge letdown in my opinion. I love everything else about it especially form factor and screen but the keyboard cheapens the whole experience. And i cant take how loud it is when i type on it. Its very non discreet.

All in all its the one feature of the phone that prevents it from being an all around perfect blackberry. Im thinking of switching back to my bold (i know they are apples and oranges but most people on this forum who have the 8900 had the bold before and to me it is a DOWNGRADE)
Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
can you change the ring tones it comes with the phone? as far as i know you arent able to access those off a PC...

if you can how did you do that, and whats the link for that program...

thanks!!!
No, I used it for mp3 RTs only, I don't think you can get to the ones on the phone either. Mp3gain.com - Mp3gain Resources and Information. This website is for sale! is the link as I recall, but it looks like it may have gone byebye.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 12-16-2008 at 11:30 PM..
Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
jgudnas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: where do i find that again.?

Likes...
Everything Cory said...
-positioning of the camera button. higher than on the bold, more natural in it's current position.

-black trackball. wont look dirty in 30 days..

Dislikes:
-They moved the magnetic sensor location so 8300 belt clips will NOT turn off the screen. ARGG! have to buy new belt clips (which it doesn't come with)

-Battery form factor has changed again. Which means yet another external battery charger has to be purchased.

-Form factor has changed enough the charging contacts will not work with an 8300 charging cradle, new charging cradles have to be purchased.

-micro usb. does anything more have to be said?

-usb port moved to other side of device. just a little thing, but i keep trying to plug it in on the wrong side.

-Higher resolution screen but it doesnt show as much as the bold screen with same font settings?? huh? I realize it is physically smaller, but a pixel is a pixel, and 7 point text should use the same number of pixels regardless of physical pixel size..

-No 3G. (i'll live, but it's still a dislike)..

Now i am not trying to be nit-picky. i love the look of this new device, and am really struggling with the decision to move to it or keep my bold.. i just dont know yet.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
lolaisodd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

If I didnt emphasize how much I *love* the device, i love it very much! the camera is quite decent now. it is much nicer for ladies if they dont miss the 3G on the Bold (i don't). The screen is so brilliant now that i see IPhone users sneaking peaks on it in the subway.

i dont like where the usb slot is for one but not much grouses.

GPS, WiFi everything works fine!
Old 12-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #17
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaisodd View Post
If I didnt emphasize how much I *love* the device, i love it very much! the camera is quite decent now. it is much nicer for ladies if they dont miss the 3G on the Bold (i don't). The screen is so brilliant now that i see IPhone users sneaking peaks on it in the subway.

i dont like where the usb slot is for one but not much grouses.

GPS, WiFi everything works fine!
I don't miss 3G a whole lot either. I believe the other strong points of the device make up for the lack of HSPA.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #18
david_uk

Carrier: Vodafone

I pretty much agree with the OP. Exceptions/additions:

Keypad - less spacing so don't find it as usable as 83xx.

Send/End/Menu/Back keys - not positive enough.

Micro USB - in totally the wrong position.

Remove MMC - no success yet!

No question, it's a slinky little beast. Anybody noticed how all the new BBs share a close family resemblance. Do RIM have a Mercedes Benz designer on the hardware team?

This is a device I'll definitely keep - until the next one.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
morfy50
Thumbs Must Hurt

Comparing to the 8300:

Like:
- dedicated lock key at top
- wi-fi (getting rid of my iPhone now!)
- browser is a lot better
- the overall look is AWESOME, size is perfect for me too
- the superb trackball
- better camera

Dislike:
- it feels more fragile and not as "grippy" on the sides as the 8300. I still handle it with a lot of care because ir doesn't seem as sturdy
- I wish the wi-fi was a bit easier to use in terms of scanning for connections, auto-connecting and alerting me that it's connected.
- home/back buttons are a bit odd being 1 button that toggles back/forth. these should have just been separate buttons like all the others.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #20
obentou
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ROGERS

My post from Hofo:

Some things I have noticed in the Javelin vs. the Bold:

- Slower boot times (30sec-1min?)
- Font sizes don't match on the Javelin vs. Bold (ie. Font 7 on Bold is smaller than on Javelin)
- Camera is a LOT better
- Screen has warmer colour temperatures
- Keys make clicky sounds moreso than Bold
- Atomic trackball is MUCH more sensitive; when browsing, it moves the arrow cursor over a much larger area with one stroke of the ball
- Locking or putting the Javelin in standby mode puts the phone into sleep instantly after ~1 second
- Browsing is generally more slower over EDGE than 3G (Bold)
- Call quality is almost the same as the Bold... perhaps not as good as 3G but not even noticeable unless you're a call quality audiophile
- Media program takes a bit longer than the Bold to start up.
- After doing a bit of stuff on the Javelin, when navigating in a folder in the Applications Menu, it lags considerably... quite annoying; ie. browse the Applications folder, the scrolling is laggy and choppy
- Battery consumption over time seems a bit worse than on Bold... but still testing this over a period of a few days.

That's all I can find for now. In my opinion, I find it more worthwhile to keep the Bold than to get a Javelin.

But after playing with the 8900 for a bit longer, I think I can type a lot more accurately than on the Bold... prolly because I have long fingers... and my hands aren't as big.
Closed Thread