BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Default BIS Plan + 8320 = HotSpot access?? (UPDATE!!)

Please Login to Remove!

Ok... I know... I already posted a similar question to this but so far I have not got the answer I am looking for.

So I decided to re-title my topic and I am hoping to finally get an answer to my question.

The phone been out since Friday at some stores and Saturday at all of the stores.

So how come no one knows the answer yet?

Here I go again...

Can you access T-mobile's HotSpot without paying extra for it with the Blackberry 8320 Curve?

I do not want to pay more for it. I just want to be able to access T-mobile's HotSpot and only pay for the BIS Plan (Data plan) and voice plan only.

It seems a majority of the people think it can be done but I need confirmation.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

(edited)

I finally got my answer! Check my post at #11 on this thread.

Last edited by secrecyguy; 09-26-2007 at 08:30 PM..
Old 09-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

T-Mobile HotSpot (ie Starbucks) is pay for use.. So no you can't...

Can you hook up to your home wifi or unsecured network? You betcha...

Not sure if this answers the Q or if I understood the Q correctly...

Kris
Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
Ok... I know... I already posted a similar question to this but so far I have not got the answer I am looking for.

So I decided to re-title my topic and I am hoping to finally get an answer to my question.

The phone been out since Friday at some stores and Saturday at all of the stores.

So how come no one knows the answer yet?

Here I go again...

Can you access T-mobile's HotSpot without paying extra for it with the Blackberry 8320 Curve?

I do not want to pay more for it. I just want to be able to access T-mobile's HotSpot and only pay for the BIS Plan (Data plan) and voice plan only.

Thanks!
If you only have BIS plan they will charge you for it. If you have @home plan additional 9.99 a month then "I THINK" your good to go. Call customer service and let us know

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/

Last edited by noeffectx; 09-25-2007 at 07:47 PM..
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

Thanks!
It can not be done. T-Mobile Hotspots are a pay service and you must have either H@H ($9.99/mo) or the Hotspot Plan ($19.99/mo)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
rivviepop

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Did y'all notice on your 8320 that the @home and H@H WiFi setups can't be viewed, edited or deleted? I wonder what's inside those configs...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
hmm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

No you can't.

However if you sign up for the @home service then you can make free nationwide calls at T-Mobile hotspots and also your device will automatically login and you can use data that way.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
secrecyguy

Has anyone tried it yet with just the BIS plan and voice plan?

I don't want just speculation.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Has anyone tried it yet with just the BIS plan and voice plan?

I don't want just speculation.
Yes I have with, a device other than the 8320, but it does not matter as you must log into the hotspot... A username and password so to speak... You will not be able to access the hotspot with out a plan.... If you could, then why on earth would anyone pay the $19 a month for it????

Kris
Old 09-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
noam

Carrier: tmo

I think the answer is it depends on what you want to do. Today I went down to the local Starbucks with my 8320, associated with the wifi and turned off my cell network access. I was able to get UMA and make/receive calls just fine. However if I went into my browser, I got the normal hotspot login prompt that requires a username/password.

So you should be able to use the TMO hotspots for UMA but not for general internet access off the BB.

For reference, I have a BES+voice plan and _do not_ have the $10/month H@H service.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
secrecyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Yes I have with, a device other than the 8320, but it does not matter as you must log into the hotspot... A username and password so to speak... You will not be able to access the hotspot with out a plan.... If you could, then why on earth would anyone pay the $19 a month for it????

Kris
Well, the 8320 may have been made so you can log in to the HotSpots without typing in the username and password. Even if it is done automatic, won't you get a long pause while talking on the phone while it automatically log in you to access the HotSpots?

As for paying $10 per month for H @ H, that's so you can access the HotSpots and make calls for free and $20 per month so you can just use the laptop to access the HotSpots without using your cell phone. So there's still a reason to pay for it.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
secrecyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noam View Post
I think the answer is it depends on what you want to do. Today I went down to the local Starbucks with my 8320, associated with the wifi and turned off my cell network access. I was able to get UMA and make/receive calls just fine. However if I went into my browser, I got the normal hotspot login prompt that requires a username/password.

So you should be able to use the TMO hotspots for UMA but not for general internet access off the BB.

For reference, I have a BES+voice plan and _do not_ have the $10/month H@H service.
Someone else confirm this at another forum and now you confirm it so I finally got my answer! Thanks!

Since I will only be able to use voice and not data using HotSpots, I guess I have to go to the dark side now... :( and get a Windows phone... I wait until end of October to get one when the new Kaiser phone comes out.