Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
ShiftAltNumlock
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Verizon
Default Help moving database

Please Login to Remove!

I have BES 4.0 with exchange. The SQL database is on a different server. It is using Windows Authentication and it is SQL 2000. I want to move the database to another SQL 2000 server and it is going to be SQL authentication. Can this be done? I saw some examples but they all asume Windows authentication from server to server.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Sure, move the database per How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server or instance, making sure to set proper permissions for the new sql user you're creating for your BES to use. Then in BlackBerry Server Configuration on your BES use the change database function to point to the new user and change the auth method from windows to sql ... and then supply the credentials.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
ShiftAltNumlock

Model: 7290
Carrier: Verizon
Default Need more help

Thank you for your response. I have run into a problem. I am not able to locate the 4.0 software to create the blank database. I was going to try and download it, but can only find 4.0 service pack 1 and higher. I am not sure if this is the full install program or not. I need the install files so that i can get the files called BESmgmt.cfg and createDB.exe from that package to create the empty database. I have the 4.1 install files which have those needed files, but i am betting that there are changes that would cause the database to be different and not work. Can someone point me to the correct installer files or tell me if the 4.1 DB files are the same as the 4.0 files.

Thank you.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Just take the whole database directory from the 4.1 installer ... you'll need to modify the line VERSION= in the besmgmt.cfg to be 4.0 otherwise it will use the newest version of the database schema it knows of.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
visabureau

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Creating new database with correct schemas

Hi there,

I came accross this thread and was hoping someone could assist as my question is related?

Some background:
We have Sharepoint / BES / CRM all using the same SQL 2000 server.
I'm busy moving BES and Sharepoint databases to another SQL 2000 server, leaving me able to do a SQL upgrade to 2005 of just CRM.

So I am currently trying to just get the SQL 2000 BES database moved accross to the new SQL 2000 server... The information contained in the How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server or instance is very useful indeed, but there are a few minor questions it has unfortunately left unanswered for me. I was hoping somebody could fill the gaps allowing me to be able to accomplished the moving of the the BES SQL database/s?

Concerning "Updating the BlackBerry Configuration Database schema" I've managed to run createdb.exe BESMgmt.cfg, which creates the BESMgmt database with some tables, store procedures and other database objects, but why use this executable and not just create the database within Enterprise Manager? What is created exactly by this executable? Security roles? And I was wondering about mdss and mdss_dis databases? What are these other two for? Are they essential? I see they exist on the current SQL server.

Then my big frustration currently is that I can set within the BESMgmt.cfg where the MDF is to be located, but not the LDF: "DB_FILE_DIR=E:\SQL Data" for data ... This is where our MDF file should reside and happens to match also where it resides on our existing server, which is wonderful, but I can't seem to set the log files to where I want it? Our LDF file on our existing server is within F:\SQL Logs, and this is where the new server's default log directory has also been set to, and where I'd like the LDF file to reside. Any ideas how to do this using the BESMgmt.cfg file?

Further on in the article, it states Depending on the environment, complete one of the procedures below, meaning use either backup /restore or detach/attach.. How do I know which option is applicable?

Lastly, I'm unclear about whether I need to be logged in as the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account onto the new SQL server when I run this command? Does it matter? I've set the BESMgmt.cfg file to use SQL authentication with user sa, but what influences the need to use one of Windows / SQL / Mixed authentication methods within the BESMgmt.cfg file?

Looking forward to someone being able to fill these gaps for me please? It will be much appreciated as I am struggling to put the pieces of this puzzle together and quite urgently need to get the BES related database moved in order for me to move on to moving Sharepoint off and get SQL upgraded for CRM.

Thank you

Last edited by visabureau; 05-22-2008 at 01:39 PM..
Closed Thread