Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
EOTB

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vip Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
This is a different issue. You might just need to re-install the OS. If you have third party software, that also may be causing your issue.
I tried to install the new official version, doesn't work. Also, I do not have any other applications, it's out of the box device.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Wirelessly posted

If the handset reboots out of the box without changes to the OS and/or 3rd party apps installed a new Bold it's just a quick visit to the store.
It's obvious you hold a faulty handset.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #23
Xion901
No longer Registered.

Model: XXXXi
Carrier: A Good One

Theres nothing to concerning new OS, wipeout etc. If you get the white screen, you need a new LCD simple. Hope this helps
Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #24
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
On mine, I observed it twice today, but I noticed it slowly fades to white, almost like an animation. Anyone else observed this?
This is exactly what mine started to do today. I am soooooo p*ssed! Seems RIM has begun taking hardware lessons from Palm ........ "Give them crap, theyl buy it anyway!"
Gotta take a look see at my contract ....... Bet my warranty expired yesterday. :(

I certainly never expected to have this problem with a Blackberry

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 AM   #25
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Welcome to the club. Sorry you're here.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #26
amico_pl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Plus GSM
Default had same situation with working BB and white screen

in my case sometimes (1 in 5) disconnecting and reconnecting screen worked.

In the end what solved it permanently is...screen replacement. Ordered online and did it myself.

Just make sure to order the correct one!!! there are 3 variations !!!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #27
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810

I may look into screen replacement, for now i just went out and picked up a shiny new 9700. Rogers let me have it for the new introductory price in light of not being eligible for an upgrade.

I'll miss my Bold (9000), but damn this thing is sweet!

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #28
JW021979
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

I took my Bold 9000 into Carphone Warehouse (UK) with White Screen problem. they sent it off to Blackberry. Got a call yesterday to say my phone was back (they had it for 9 days). Went to collect it and the guy said they couldnt repair it so they replaced it. They didnt have any 9000's left so I got a brand new, unlocked and unbranded 9700.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #29
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

I doubt it it's a new handset. Most insurance/warranty policies exchange/replace for a refurbished handset. A brand new handset is offered if the exchange takes place during the initial cooling off period for obvious reasons. CW does a third party insurance though so it might as well be a brand new Bold.

Personally i don't consider the 9700 to be an upgrade when replacing the 9000 but that's a personal opinion. There are a few at the office and a more cramped keyboard, a smaller screen, weird things happening with the lighting sensor that keeps flashing the screen up with lighting conditions unchanged, the trackpad making squicking and cricking noises and feels like it's about to fall apart under normal use, it's those little things that put me off.

On the good side it is TONS more snappy, battery life has improved a lot and more app memory means even more space to load crappy apps from the app store. So thumps up for that.

On a yet even another personal opinion i don't believe the Bold was ever a finished product. Numerous os and hardware issues that still haunt us, -just for kicks search the forum for white screen-, Orange UK pulled it away completely when in the first month of launch had more than half the sales returned. NTT Docomo in Japan launched it for a good 30 days before pulling it away completely and calling up RIM when the handsets start going extremely hot. (google is your friend for both of those events and/or more) so there is an element of inadequate quality control that needs to be addressed at some point (along with the elephant in the room).

On a final note let's make it yet for another time clear that that's a personal opinion and whoever feels the urge to flame i would advice to save his/her typing for something more constructive.

Enjoy your new Bold and i wholeheartedly wish you that it gives you less trouble than your last one.

Last edited by the-economist; 12-23-2009 at 07:53 PM..
Old 12-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #30
amico_pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW021979 View Post
I took my Bold 9000 into Carphone Warehouse (UK) with White Screen problem. they sent it off to Blackberry. Got a call yesterday to say my phone was back (they had it for 9 days). Went to collect it and the guy said they couldnt repair it so they replaced it. They didnt have any 9000's left so I got a brand new, unlocked and unbranded 9700.
Sweet! Lucky You !
Old 12-25-2009, 03:37 AM   #31
amico_pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
[...] Personally i don't consider the 9700 to be an upgrade [...]
[...] On a yet even another personal opinion i don't believe the Bold was ever a finished product. [...]
[...] On a final note let's make it yet for another time clear that that's a personal opinion and whoever feels the urge to flame i would advice to save his/her typing for something more constructive. [...]
Well, nobody is perfect

I'm afraid with this level of compression of hardware that they need to squeeze in even smaller devices and at the same time shorter and shorter time to market, we need to get used to half cooked devices. To be replaced by similar half-cooked devices in just 6-12 months.

What's the source of the problem, in my opinion:
1. us consumers, who want to replace our devices so often, especially when a new device shows up (and we immediately show up at our operator)
2. stock market which is similarly impatient to long development cycles and lack of new model introductions

Has is ever change??...I don't think so...

Unless...there is very powerful device, heavily subsidized by operator, that will require paid soft updates to unlock new features (something similar to game consoles)...this is my guess!

P.S. On the other hand I have never ever lost a bit of personal data on my BB (Unlike with Windows Mobile or Windows ) and this is by far the most important to me! So I can leave with BB Bold weaknesses
Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #32
ccladdaghh

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

Well, for the first time since I purchased my BB Bold 9000, I just had the white screen of death, with a black clock with two lines turning round and round (as though the clock was keeping tme - but no numbers were on there).

I was getting a bit annoyed (I just purchased my phone in November 2009) that I tried almost every single thing that the-economist had tried and it would not start up.

The last time, something clicked inside and it started ---- but the white screen was there for a verrrry long time. Then as one of you had mentioned above, the phone automatically started. I'm glad that's all it was !!

Thanks for the postings on this issue ... it was a help to read everyone's ideas/suggestions and comments.

I'm a newbie-Blackberry Bold 9000 Owner - and I'm proud of it !!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #33
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

So you purchased your Bold November 09 and your profile lists a 9700. Did it fell apart on you in 3 months time? Welcome btw
Closed Thread