Old 12-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Looking for new cellphone provider instead of AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Torch 9810 but I have had some problems regarding text messages from websites to my cellphone, the provider AT&T has poor support, and I am being charged $55 / month + taxes. I admit the reception is always very good, but the high charges, problems, and generally poor support means that I would like to find someone else. Does anyone know of another cellphone provider that will still support the 9810 but will be cheaper and offer better support than AT&T ?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Looking for new cellphone provider instead of AT&T

The problem is the older blackberry's are not supported by carriers and the OS 10 and older devices require a different method for carrier storage than other devices and changing may cause a problem. You might try Verizon or Sprint but I would go to a store to ask questions and get a commitment on workability.

We all may be looking very soon. I posted on they text issue and changes are coming soon.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

I posted on the text issue and changes are coming soon.
It seems carriers are falling for the Google control of cell service and limiting Apps available for all but Android and Apple OS phones.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Who knows exactly what will happen with BB10 and legacy BBOS devices when BlackBerry terminates support shortly (in the next year or so, maybe less, I've lost track).

By way of example, I recall years back with the 99XX series (I believe), there was an issue with the BlackBerry compass app. It turned out there was something to do with communication or adjustment/control by BlackBerry servers, and the actual problem was at the BlackBerry side, not on the devices. The issue is certainly discussed somewhere on these forums. The larger issue illustrated by this example is the question of what depends on BlackBerry support, what might there be that is critical that we aren't aware? What is going to happen if you can't sign into the device with your BlackBerry ID? You would hope the device would still work as a phone, but will that be the case?

I would be looking for another solution. And in fact I am, and I expect I will not be using a BlackBerry by this next spring or summer, or maybe sooner.

As far as carrier's, the advice is the same regardless. Which service provider will deliver good coverage where you live, work, travel, and play? Those are your choices. But I would add my preference is to buy a GSM device unlocked and choose a carrier that let's me bring my own device.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-08-2018 at 06:55 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
I posted on the text issue and changes are coming soon.
It seems carriers are falling for the Google control of cell service and limiting Apps available for all but Android and Apple OS phones.
I solved the text issue. But AT&T is still overcharging IMO. $55 + taxes / month seems too much. Certain smaller cellphone carriers are charging as little as $20 + taxes / month. Of course their cellphone coverage may not be as good as AT&T, which I admit has always been very good for me. Unfortunately nearly all of them only support Android or iOS phones. But I thought to ask here anyway to see if anybody knows of one of them that support Blackberrys.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

AT&T does allow you to use your own phone, even if not AT&T brand, and of course compatible with AT&T bands. Correct? T-Mobile is the same. So far as I know, Sprint and Verizon still only allow their devices on their network. I'm totally unfamiliar with MVNO services.

On BlackBerry, nowadays one needs to distinguish between the models running BlackBerry's flavor of Android, and the BlackBerry BB10 and BBOS models. I don't pay attention to the Android models, but I know T-Mobile doesn't sell them. T-Mobile, as with the others, is only selling Android and iOS devices, but no the BlackBerry Andriod. But I use a BlackBerry Passport on T-Mobile and my experience has been fine.

The problem with recommending a carrier is Your Mileage May Vary is absolutely true. I have been very happy with T-Mobile, and I travel a lot. I make allowances for poor signal in some buildings, and occasional lack of coverage in rural areas. But others in different locations or whatever won't tolerate those sorts of limitations.

As I say above, though, BB10 and BBOS devices may not be working in a year's time. We'll see.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-09-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Old 12-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

At&t is telling users of blackberry's to re-establish their phones connection later this month. I have called to see if they will delete any data but so far no answers.
My suspicion is they are dropping the security levels once offered by encrypting data between Blackberry servers and the carriers. Not sure how it will affect OS 10 phones.
Time will tell.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
At&t is telling users of blackberry's to re-establish their phones connection later this month. I have called to see if they will delete any data but so far no answers.
My suspicion is they are dropping the security levels once offered by encrypting data between Blackberry servers and the carriers. Not sure how it will affect OS 10 phones.
Time will tell.
What do you mean by 're-establish" ?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

This is the Email from Yahoo/AT&T. If you don't use ATT or Yahoo email you may not have received it. the links shown are limited in the info they provide.

the email

were updating the way that you connect your AT&T Yahoo Mail to your BlackBerry device on December 19, 2018. Youre impacted if you use Blackberry 10, BlackBerry 7 or earlier devices.

What this means for you:
Around December 19, you may be asked to sign in again to your AT&T Yahoo Mail account. Then, you will need to complete the below steps. Please make sure to have both your mobile device and a computer available.
Step 1 Remove your account
http://help.blackberry.com/en/blackb...589362307.html

You will need to temporarily remove your existing AT&T Yahoo Mail account from your BlackBerry device.

Step 2 Re-integrate account

You will need to re-integrate the account by following the steps linked below for your device.

BlackBerry 7 and earlier: Follow the instructions

BlackBerry 10: Follow the instructions
Set up email or other types of accounts on your device - BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.3

A BlackBerry Knowledge Base article on issues using AT&T Yahoo Mail on Blackberry is available here.
https://support.blackberry.com/kb/ar...mber=000013799

We are working with BlackBerry on a solution to enable OAuth access for Android BlackBerry devices.
For additional questions or concerns please visit AT&T Community Forums.
Thanks for being an AT&T Yahoo Mail user.
AT&T Yahoo Mail Team

Last edited by tsac; 12-09-2018 at 08:02 PM..
Old 12-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

To add, this is email, and in particular Yahoo, and any ISP email services hosted by Yahoo (such as AT&T, Bellsouth, and so on). Not the AT&T mobile network and mobile service provider.

From what it looks like to me, Yahoo is changing the server addresses. Why? I don't know.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-10-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Old 12-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

The problem I have is neither ATT or Yahoo is offering much detail on exactly how to re-integrate the mail on the phones. the current server address is rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com on port 993
The SMTP server is rim.smtp.mail.yahoo.com on port 465

The links show nothing on the reconnection server addresses and again when ATT is asked they are clueless.

Something tells me this change will be a big problem.
Closed Thread