Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Reflection

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Centennial Wireless
Angry HELP! BB Pearl won't sync or wall charge

Please Login to Remove!

Ok you guys are my last resort. I am very angry atm with RIM and my provider Centennial Wireless. I bought 2 Blackberry pearls in the end of february. One for me and one for my GF (big mistake). At any rate she started having issues with the phone, it wouldn't charge right when u plug it in to the wall charger. If you played with the cord a bit in the phone connection spot you could bring up the lil charge icon thing. Back then it would sync w/ desktop manager also.

Well I got rid of my GF and took my phone back. No damage was done to the phone on her part and I have taken it to my provider and they say its a hardware issue. Im out of my 30 day period so they wont replace it unless i pay 150 insurance deductible. I called RIM they won't help me either.

Here is the weird part: If you plug it in to USB, it wont sync, but it will charge. If you plug it into wall outlet, it wont charge at all now. Yet my other pearl will sync, charge everythings perfect with the same cords/software. And somehow the guy at centennial got it to sync with his desktop manager but mine will not. (he could not get it to charge either thru normal wall outlet).

Is there any advise you guys can give me? I really don't want to pay $150 for a new phone when I dont even need the 2nd phone anymore. Sorry this is so long thanks for reading it to anyone who does.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like the USB connector on the pohone is loose, and this should be a warrenty issue. Try calling your carrier, and explain it to them again, as you may have just had a misinformed CSR, which isn't that uncommon. Ask for a warranty replacement, and they should replace it, as the warranty is 1 year.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

as long as the connector is just loose and not broken. if it is broken from the board its considered physical damage 99.9% of the time. but yes, you have a 1 year manufacture warranty. as long as it is covered you will get a phone replacement. welcome to the forums. Smaller carriers may or may not have the ability to replace directly. you may have to contact RIM customer support. Make sure you have your sales receipt
Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Reflection

RIM told me they can't help me at all, that I can only deal with it thru my provider.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Again, I suggest calling your carrier. If they are not able to replace it directly, they will connect you to RIM, and then they will help you. I know with Verizon at least, I can call 10 times about one issue, and get at least 7 different answers.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Reflection

well im going to drive to the store now and try the "usb port is loose" and see where that gets me. explaining the problem in detail seems to just get me an answer i dont want to hear
Old 04-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
All BlackBerry® smartphones purchased from Research In Motion (RIM), or an authorized RIM dealer, come with a one (1) year limited warranty.

RIM will replace, refurbish or repair, at its option, your BlackBerry smartphone and/or any of its components xxx8212; including BlackBerry smartphone, cradle and holster xxx8212; if it is found to be defective. The limited warranty does not apply to:

Reasonable wear and tear of the BlackBerry smartphone, cradle or holster
Scratches or cracks to the LCD screen
Damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, neglect or misapplication
Defects due to repairs or modifications made to the BlackBerry product by anyone other than RIM or its authorized service representatives
from BlackBerry - BlackBerry Pearl Help
Old 04-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Reflection

Well Centennial Wireless says they cannot contact RIM for me and the only way to fix it is to use the insurance. So waiting till monday morning business hours and going to try RIM again and throw this warranty page in their face and hope for the best. Last time however they told me to go to my provider for help we'll see what they say this time.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Reflection

UPDATE:

RIM says my provider Centennial Wireless bought the contract to take care of all warranty issues. RIM is not allowed to process my warranty and Centennial wants $150 deductible.

RIM also says a loose USB port is usually not covered by the warranty as it's considered physical dmg. Looks like I'm screwed.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
Korexz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
PIN: 2576D674
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am assuming you are plugging the USB cable into a POWERED USB port on your PC (or Mac if you are awesome)... otherwise you will have all kinds of problems.

90% of the USB ports that are on the front of PCs are not powered. I found with the Curve and Pearl models this causes all kinds of weird sync/power problems.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
rickwright

Model: none
Carrier: at&t

Get rid of Centennial Wireless your phone has a warranty
Old 04-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwright View Post
Get rid of Centennial Wireless your phone has a warranty
Sux where I live I don't really have that option, Centennial is the main carrier if I want signal everywhere I go. Altel is the only other one and they don't even have the same signal strength
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
mjmoore76

Carrier: Bluegrass

Well my Pearl 8330 straight home from the store will not charge or sunc with any PC. I have checked the cables against other devices, the USB cable charges my PS3 controller, the charger will charge my 2 Motorola phones. I have downloaded three different version of the Blackberry software, 4.5 came on the cd, went to the latest, 4.6, then tried the version Blackberry recommended for download, 4.2.x.x.

Extremely frustrating devices. I've never had an issue like this with any of the 40+ devices we use on our enterprise server, so I was actually suprised to have a problem at all, especially within minutes of purchasing it.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
thats2odd
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMO

Gezz seems to me that you could find a pearl new online for 100 or cheaper. What a terrible carrier!!