Old 03-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
When i register my car every year with the DMV i am required to show proof of insurance. The state of CA also requires Insurance companies to notify them of a lapse in coverage. a letter will be sent out to the insured and if new insurance isn't presented to the state your registration is suspended.

now my question is, how is this constitutional but requiring an individual to carry health insurance unconstitutional?

Let me make myself clear too, i am no fan of this bill. I just don't understand what is unconstituional about requiring insurance.
You don't need insurance if you don't want to drive.

As far as health insurance you are not given a choice.

This Country is going to shit.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Hope we have enough toilet paper.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
LMAO!!!
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
We don't.

What I hate the most about all this is that - as always - those who have played by the rules, worked hard, reined in their expenditures and saved their money will be forced to pay through the nose for all the people who didn't. "Mortgage in default? That's OK, the taxpayers will cover it. Need to file bankruptcy? Go ahead! Your debts will be paid by others in the form of higher interest rates and usurious fees."

Speaking of entitlement programs gone awry, check this out:

Social Security to start cashing Uncle Sam's IOUs - Yahoo! News

Apparently Social Security's IOUs are now being called in. The problem is, the money isn't there to pay them. Only feasible possible solutions: cut benefits, raise the retirement age, and raise taxes. Any of those 3 possibilities leaves all of us much worse off than those who came before, and it infuriates me that it's necessary: it wouldn't have been, except for those damned IOUs.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think there is any possibility of my ever seeing a dime of the money I've contributed to Social Security. DH and I have never included Social Security in our retirement calculations at all.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #25
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Our "President" should watch this.

http://media.causes.com/604250?p_id=42563578

Last edited by zerog46; 03-23-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #26
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (well lookie here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
When i register my car every year with the DMV i am required to show proof of insurance. The state of CA also requires Insurance companies to notify them of a lapse in coverage. a letter will be sent out to the insured and if new insurance isn't presented to the state your registration is suspended.

now my question is, how is this constitutional but requiring an individual to carry health insurance unconstitutional?

Let me make myself clear too, i am no fan of this bill. I just don't understand what is unconstituional about requiring insurance.
You don't need insurance if you don't want to drive.

As far as health insurance you are not given a choice.

In some states you are required to have auto insurance if you have a license whether or not you own a car
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #27
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

I started planning to do without Social Security many years ago
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #28
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Hmmm some congressional staffers exempt?
http://short.to/1st82
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #29
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Default Not My Words But Interesting

THIS IS HOW TO FIX CONGRESS!!!!!

A friend sent this along to me. I can't think of a reason to disagree.

I am sending this to virtually everybody on my e-mail list and that includes conservatives, liberals, and everybody in between. Even though we disagree on a number of issues, I count all of you as friends. My friend and neighbor wants to promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2010". It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

I know many of you will say, "this is impossible". Let me remind you, Congress has the lowest approval of any entity in Government, now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.

We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American hero's..

Thanks,

A Fellow American

Congressional Reform Act of 2010

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.

A. Two Six year Senate terms
B. Six Two year House terms
C. One Six year Senate term and three Two Year House terms

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:

A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress looses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/11 .

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #30
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

An equally compelling argument that I saw suggested that true tax simplification could be achieved by adopting one simple regulation. All members of congress have to complete their own tax form, without professional assistance.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #31
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #32
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Good one js!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #33
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

You might still make it js. LOL

I wonder how long it took the writer to come up with that one. A bad pun can get you thinking faster than good writing.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 AM   #34
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like it Sam I am.I do not like these dirty crooks, I do not like how they cook the books.I do not like when Congress steals, I do not like their secret deals.I do not like this Speaker Nan,I do not like this 'YES WE CAN'.I do not like this kind of hope, I do not like it nope! nope! nope!

i apologize for the confusion EZ is not the author of this nifty rhyme (wish I was) this was found posted on a friends status on FB

Last edited by ezrunner; 03-29-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #35
kathrynhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like it Sam I am.I do not like these dirty crooks, I do not like how they cook the books.I do not like when Congress steals, I do not like their secret deals.I do not like this Speaker Nan,I do not like this 'YES WE CAN'.I do not like this kind of hope, I do not like it nope! nope! nope!
You're my hero today, EZ.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #36
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Ez, with talent like that maybe you should join js and me for the American Idiot tryouts.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #37
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

EZ wass not the author of this nifty rhyme I cannot take credit for it wish I knew who did author it
Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #38
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

In a speech at Columbia University, French President Nicolas Sarkozy spoke about the recent American debates on health care -- sharply criticizing Americans for a lack of compassion on the issue. "Welcome to the club of states who don't turn their back on the sick and the poor," said Sarkozy. He also added: "When we look at the American debate on reforming health care, it's difficult to believe. The very fact that there should have been such a violent debate simply on the fact that the poorest of Americans should not be left out in the streets without a cent to look after them ... is something astonishing to us." - TPMDC

I personally like how he put this. Fits my opinion I guess.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #39
kathrynhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
In a speech at Columbia University, French President Nicolas Sarkozy spoke about the recent American debates on health care -- sharply criticizing Americans for a lack of compassion on the issue. "Welcome to the club of states who don't turn their back on the sick and the poor," said Sarkozy. He also added: "When we look at the American debate on reforming health care, it's difficult to believe. The very fact that there should have been such a violent debate simply on the fact that the poorest of Americans should not be left out in the streets without a cent to look after them ... is something astonishing to us."
Thanks for the link, Test.

Personally, I'm in the "I know it's broken, but I'm not yet sure what the best solution is" camp. I resent the fact that our politicians seem incapable of real debate, and that the only common goal in Congress seems to be to do everything in one's power to prevent the other side from making any progress.

I am sickened by the "repeal and replace" rhetoric of the majority of the Republican camp, when it's clear that they have no intention to "replace" at all, and they're only using the word to placate their "do something!" constituents. I don't think there's any elected Republican in Congress who is in favor of any type of health care reform that doesn't consist almost entirely of tax cuts (which, of course, do nothing to heal people).

I am even more sickened by the Democratic party's complete disregard for the fact that - over the long haul - this bill will continue to add to the deficit. You can cloak the debate however you like, but nothing can gloss over the fact that - in spite of the nosedive of the economy and the credit market, and the example they ought to be taking from millions of private citizens - this government continues to spend, hand over fist, money that it simply does not have. And everyone knows the only legitimate way to pay for all these promises is to raise taxes, but no one wants to take that bullet... they just pass it along to the next session.

Yes, it would be nice to have real health care reform. It would be nice to have a better social security system. It would be nice to have a thousand things that are all worthy projects that will better someone's life (it can be argued, at the expense of someone else, but that's another debate). However, responsible and honest adults do not spend money that they do not have. Any private citizen who borrowed the way this nation does would be forced to file bankruptcy. None of these "nice to have" programs is, in the end, worth the future financial ruin of the United States. Which is where we are headed, IMO, without massive tax hikes that no politician in his right mind would vote for.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #40
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Kathrynr, I agree with you and the problems with politics in the US is why I stated in the other thread that an uprising / revolution will eventually come and it will be based on politics rather than religion. The constant bickering and never geting anything accomplished in Washington is horrible. the powder keg gets more and more volatile the more news stations and public officials create a firestorm of hatred and violence.

But as for this reform, I think it's better than doing nothing. I give any politicians credit for getting anything done in the present climate. It's all about Greed & Control from all sides.