BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
pkiula

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: M1, Singapore
Question Enterprise BB not working after update!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. I had an 8700 with 4.1.0. I wanted to update it to 4.2.1. So I downloaded the software from the blackberry website (for my provider) and installed it. I actually wanted to install 4.3.0 with the media manager, but thought I'll do 4.2.1 as a trial.

Anyway, for now, the 4.2.1 update seemed to have gone well. The BB restarted, but:

1. The entire interface is kind of black and white with very basic looking icons. Is this normal with 4.2.1? How should I get back to my original theme?

2. More importantly, when I try to compose a message, it recognizes my addresses (contacts) but when I press SEND, it tells me "There is no pin for this entry".

What is this? When I update, does it forget my enterprise settings? How can I revert to my original settings without bothering my IT admin guys?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Welcome to the forums.

The icons should all be in color - not black and white. Sounds like something didn't work correctly for your upgrade. If that is the case - there is no color for any icons - then I would recommend a full wipe of the device (DO A BACKUP FIRST!!!) and follow these instructions for reloading the OS:

How do I "wipe" my 8700 device using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

Also, anytime a BES connected device has the OS upgarded, then the device will need to complete an Enterprise Activation - so you will need to get the activation password from your IT dept/BES Admin.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Is your Desktop Manager installed using the BlackBerry Enterprise Server option?
Also, is your Outlook that is connecting through your Enterprise email setup on that specific computer?

Concerning the Black/White screen, plug the BB into Desktop Manager. Double click on application loader, press next, and check in the list for any themes that have been unchecked.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Welcome to the forums.

The icons should all be in color - not black and white. Sounds like something didn't work correctly for your upgrade. If that is the case - there is no color for any icons - then I would recommend a full wipe of the device (DO A BACKUP FIRST!!!) and follow these instructions for reloading the OS:

How do I "wipe" my 8700 device using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

Also, anytime a BES connected device has the OS upgarded, then the device will need to complete an Enterprise Activation - so you will need to get the activation password from your IT dept/BES Admin.
The Black/white icons is just a scenario where there is no theme selected/installed. Re-installing the theme should fix it.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
pkiula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyscan View Post
Is your Desktop Manager installed using the BlackBerry Enterprise Server option?
Also, is your Outlook that is connecting through your Enterprise email setup on that specific computer?
Yes, the IT guys installed something like on my office PC. But I don't have that "Desktop Manager" on my home laptop. I downloaded the update software on my home laptop. Is this an issue? Should the update work through the "Desktop Manager"? It did not give me any such instruction! It just updated without a problem.

Quote:
Concerning the Black/White screen, plug the BB into Desktop Manager. Double click on application loader, press next, and check in the list for any themes that have been unchecked.

Oh, it looks like I should do this from my office machine then?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

You can install a theme from the machine/desktop manager you used to update the software on your BlackBerry.

If you had Desktop Manager setup for you at work, all you will need to do is plug it into your computer with Desktop Manager open in order to fix your email issues.

At your work machine, once the BB is plugged in with desktop manager open, it should ask you to "generate a new encryption key". If Desktop Manager was installed correctly, it will then reactivate your device.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
pkiula

Unhappy

Thanks. That doesn't work. My Desktop Manager is now 4.3, but when I click on Email Settings, it doesn't recognize my Lotus Notes password. Tells me:

Quote:
Email Settings are not available without a connection to your messaging system.
So I restart the Desktop Manager, and it pops up a password window for Lotus Notes. So I enter the correct password, and it tells me:

Quote:
The blackberry server is either unavailable or has been specified incorrectly.
This is not true, because I am connected to the Lotus Notes in the background! Using the very same server!

What should I do now? I did that key root certificate thing -- entered the new key without any problem. It reset all that, but still doesn't recognize my "messaging system".

Also, the firmware OS on my BB is 4.2.1. I tried looking for Enterprise Server OS here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...7224027CE111BC

...and the highest is 4.1? Why? Why not 4.3 or whatever? Is this my problem? Have I somehow disjointed the Enterprise Server and the OS on my BB?

This is way too confusing, I hope BB will simplify this firmware upgrade process, or at least warn a user based on his present settings during the upgrade process!

Thanks for any tips.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

My guess is that you had a theme active that is no longer resident on the device after the upgrade. This isn't serious. Did you try switching to another theme? Go to Options (or settings..it should look like a swiss army knife icon) and then go to Themes. Just select another theme.

If you can't get the BB reactivated on the BES via Desktop Manager then just call your BES Admin/IT department in the morning and have them give you an activation password. It's simple and quick and they will know just what you are talking about.
Closed Thread