Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
falcontrainer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Docs to Go issue

Please Login to Remove!

I have looked about and still can't figure out how to save docs from emails I receive to my phone so I can open them up and edit them(limited as it may be) with any of the Docs to go apps.

If I send myself a picture I get an option to save the picture once it opens. If I open a doc it doesn't give me the option to do anything but zoom in on it...... I know this is going to be something easy but I have been beating my head against the wall now for a day or so with this. And unfortunately I will be getting questions on how to do this from my management when they I let them have their storms, so I need to find out.

Any takers ?!?!?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I'll have to give this a go myself and see what I can find out.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
bjchantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcontrainer View Post
I have looked about and still can't figure out how to save docs from emails I receive to my phone so I can open them up and edit them(limited as it may be) with any of the Docs to go apps.

If I send myself a picture I get an option to save the picture once it opens. If I open a doc it doesn't give me the option to do anything but zoom in on it...... I know this is going to be something easy but I have been beating my head against the wall now for a day or so with this. And unfortunately I will be getting questions on how to do this from my management when they I let them have their storms, so I need to find out.

Any takers ?!?!?
Are you on BIS or BES, assuming BES since you said your management. If so, when you open the email and click on the attachment you should have two choices, Open Attachment or Download Attachment. If you choose Download it will prompt where you want to save it. If you choose Open it will then give you two more chocies, View or Edit with Documents To Go. Choose Documents To Go and then you can edit or open the menu and choose Save As and Save it to the memory card. Works fine, jsut tested it again while writin this post. Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
GEM

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchantry View Post
Are you on BIS or BES, assuming BES since you said your management. If so, when you open the email and click on the attachment you should have two choices, Open Attachment or Download Attachment. If you choose Download it will prompt where you want to save it. If you choose Open it will then give you two more chocies, View or Edit with Documents To Go. Choose Documents To Go and then you can edit or open the menu and choose Save As and Save it to the memory card. Works fine, jsut tested it again while writin this post. Hope this helps.
Is there difference with BIS? I can't open an attachement sent through BIS. I get a message that the file is not supported. I have the latest Premium version for the Storm. Files stored on the device work just fine.
Are there any other settings that I need to set?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
falcontrainer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchantry View Post
Yes , sorry , I am using a BES, I only have Open attachment as an option when I have the email open.... I am on .75 maybe that is what the dilemma is... I don't want to go to a leaked version of the OS... Any one know for sure what OS the new shipments are being with? I received a new one two weeks ago to setup and it was .75.

-- I am having the file not recognized on some docs though.

Any other ideas is very appreciated..

Last edited by falcontrainer; 12-31-2008 at 08:41 PM..
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
bjchantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM View Post
Is there difference with BIS? I can't open an attachement sent through BIS. I get a message that the file is not supported. I have the latest Premium version for the Storm. Files stored on the device work just fine.
Are there any other settings that I need to set?
I am not an expert but I believe it will depend what version of BIS server software your service provider is using. I could be wrong though, sorry I can't help more.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
bjchantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcontrainer View Post
Yes , sorry , I am using a BES, I only have Open attachment as an option when I have the email open.... I am on .75 maybe that is what the dilemma is... I don't want to go to a leaked version of the OS... Any one know for sure what OS the new shipments are being with? I received a new one two weeks ago to setup and it was .75.

-- I am having the file not recognized on some docs though.

Any other ideas is very appreciated..
It works on 4.5 OS with BES so it is not a .75 version issue. I am guessing there must be something on the BES server side that needs to be set to allow it to work. I do remember the original announcement from DataViz said it does require a certain BIS or BES version, here is the link. Read the superscripts at he bottom. If you have that version of BES or higher then someone who knows more about options in the BES will need to answer as I don't know what all the BES controls. Hope thus helps.

DataViz Announces Documents To Go Premium Edition and PDF To Go for BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Pearl Flip and BlackBerry Storm Smartphones
Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
hudres

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

I use Docs to Go all the time. I do not see that it has any connection with the server whether BIS or BES. I have been directly in touch with DataViz (great people) and have been assured that all function of this product occur on the phone itself. .I use the premium edition and love the extra features and PDF to Go is a must for business. As BJC pointed out, just save before you start. This is a good idea anyway. If you have the premium edition, with its ability to create new files, you can then save the edited versions to a new filename. This program is one of the best features of the Storm and DataViz gets my congrats for developing a totally local solution. You can turn the radio off and the program works. For those concerned with security issues (don't like other people getting a copy of their files as is the case with most other pdf programs), Docs to Go is the solution. 73
Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
suicidepact

I'm on BIS, so I have the option to 'Save Attachments'. If our work IT company ever decide to pull their head out or get out of the way, maybe I'll get to be back on BES and will have some more info.
Closed Thread