Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
jennifur75
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Talking Lotsa Newbie Question

Please Login to Remove!

How do I set up my AT&T email so that it only forwards certain emails to my blackberry?

I am signed up with T-mobile. I have 400 text messages a month and then I am also signed up with their email program. Do my emails count as text messages? I am also using my AT&T email and did not set up a blackberry one. Should I have set up a blackberry one?

Can I use the device manager to get songs onto my blackberry to use for ring tones?

I am sure I am going to have a lot more as I get used to this (I have only had it for a day) and I appreciate any tips and advice! Thank you so much!!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
WFLDEng611
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: Used to
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to the addiction

You can log onto AT&T's BIS web site and set up filters for your email as well as set up other email accounts. You can also so this from you BB by clicking on the setup icon

Email does not count as text. Email is data

That's as much help I can give you with those questions, I don't put music on my BB.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
jennifur75

Thank you so much for your fast answers!

I have a feeling this IS going to be an addiction, I love it all ready!

I know this sounds silly, but what is AT&T's BIS web site? When I check my email I do it through yahoo, but by using my @att.net address. I checked for filters in there and it only gives the options to send the mail to certain folders.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
WFLDEng611

Your att.net address is the one that is assigned to you by AT&T. This address is on the push email all the time, but there is way to store the email except on your device. Most people do not use this address. Prior to Verizon (VZW) upgrading all email to push, my office manager used this address to send me email because it was fast.

BIS is Blackberry Internet Service. This is what the common folk use to get email when you don't have and exchange server. AT&T's web site is

BlackBerry® Internet Service Login | AT&T wireless services

You can use your Yahoo account two ways. First you can use the Yahoo client, in which case you would set up your filters on Yahoo. The second is to set it up on the BIS web site. All the email would go through there, and you would be using the native BB email. There are pros and cons to each service. Use what works best for you. Remember the changes you make are not permanent. Your BB is very stable and flexible.

Another thing that might help is to read the FAQ. This contains a wealth of information that will answer a lot of your questions, and raise other questions.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
WFLDEng611

You can go here to read about BIS

General BIS FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
jennifur75

Okay, thank you so much for the links. Now since my carrier is T-mobile, should I be configuring the BIS through their web site? Or do I do it through my email carrier's web site (which is AT&T)?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

If the carrier for your Curve is T-Mobile, use their BIS web site.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
jennifur75

I just check my plan through t-mobile, and this is the email add on I have:Add access to BlackBerry's powerful e-mail functionality to your myFaves plan. The myFaves BlackBerry Unlimited E-mail Add-on includes unlimited BlackBerry Internet E-mail.

Is this BIS?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
jennifur75

Okay, thank you again for all of your help! And now the obvious question, what is their BIS address?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
jennifur75

Okay, I found it! Are there any tip pages on how to make filters to keep junk mail from coming over to my blackberry?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifur75 View Post
Okay, I found it! Are there any tip pages on how to make filters to keep junk mail from coming over to my blackberry?
Junk mail is a problem. The first hope is that your ISP (AT&T, you mentioned) filters out spam (Compuserve (CIS) is terrible this way!). Then on the BIS site, you can setup email so that nothing is forwarded to the BB EXCEPT names/addresses you specifically allow. So for my CIS I have filters that ONLY ALLOW THE SPECIFIC FRIENDS I want.

i.e. forward sister@mail.com;friend1@mail.com;fri... mom@mail.com, etc....

All the rest is NOT forwarded to my BB. Gmail (google) has a pretty good spam filter on their own so you could, say, allow all of that email to be forwarded. I have AT&T as my isp and have 5 email addresses but only forward 2 to the BB and both I allow all mail to be forwarded and since AT&T does a reasonable spam filter job, I rarely get junk.

I will say that BIS filtering are not all that easy to setup. It would be much easier to have a LIST format instead of that limited focus dropdown, text line (at least that is BIS on Verizon, I don't know if each carrier has a different frontend).

One filtering trick suggested is that something like gmail sends you back copies of everything you send. So you get doubles on the BB. A filter people use is to NOT SEND email that originates from your own gmail account. So the filter is a kind of negative. Do NOT forward [email address] to the BB's gmail setup.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
jennifur75

Okay, I think I get it now. So the filters that I add are the only ones that will go to my phone?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
jennifur75

Also, can anyone tell me how to get my outlook address book to sync over to my blackberry? So far the only thing that is going is my blackberry address book into my AT&T address book.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #14
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Have you installed Desktop Manager? If yes, then you need to properly configure your calendar and contacts configuration.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
WFLDEng611

Quote:
Okay, thank you so much for the links. Now since my carrier is T-mobile, should I be configuring the BIS through their web site? Or do I do it through my email carrier's web site (which is AT&T)?
My bad.

Unsupported Browser

This is the TMO website for BIS. I guess it does not like Safari

Last edited by WFLDEng611; 10-26-2008 at 07:10 PM..
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
jennifur75

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Have you installed Desktop Manager? If yes, then you need to properly configure your calendar and contacts configuration.

Yes, I have, I guess I must be a little lost on configuring it.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
jennifur75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFLDEng611 View Post
My bad.

Unsupported Browser

This is the TMO website for BIS. I guess it does not like Safari
Thank you for your help!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #18
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Yes, I have, I guess I must be a little lost on configuring it.
I'm not the best person to advise you on this since I am on BES and sync wirelessly. Some of this might depend on the version of Desktop Manager that you are using. I am on Version 4.5.

Open DM, and click on Synchronize. This should bring up a screen with various options for the sync, including one where you can specifiy the organizer data. Here is where it gets a bit vague for me because I don't use this myself. Once you specify that you want to sync the organizer data, it should allow you to specify several different options for where that data is stored, and you want to select Outlook. You may need to select Outlook several times -- once each for contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos -- but I am not certain of that. You will probably also want to specify on the first time you do this that Outlook should over-write the BB (assuming the BB is blank), but make sure that you change this before you sync again.

Hopefully some others who use DM frequently for syncing will chime in here. You might post your version of Desktop Manager to help them guide you a bit better.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #19
jennifur75

Thanks for responding! My version is 4.2.2.14 released April 2007, so it sounds like it old. Should I update it? Will that give me the option on what to Sync? Because when I click the sync icon it doesn't give me any options. Thanks again to all the friendly blackberry users out there! I do appreciate it. :o)

I have decided I need to buy a memory card because I don't seem to have enough room to download all the ringers, etc that I want to. Does anyone else use the memory cards?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 AM   #20
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I use memory cards to store a ton of mp3 files and some video files and photos.

Back to filters: You can either have NO filters and everything that goes to that email account (you can set up five or six (or more???) will also go to your BB or you can filter to allow only certain things to go or you can actually block some specific email addresses, also and everything else will go to your BB or a combination of allow certain, block certain, etc. or allow all EXCEPT certain. Play with it and you will see.
Closed Thread