BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #21
ganesha71
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Link from a German blog with bigger screenshots...

vowe dot net :: Addicted to your BlackBerry but your wife does not approve

Incidentally, he posted this today.....

vowe dot net :: BlackBerry Bold: the verdict
Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #22
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
oh yea, the Bold, right.

Kevin's makes a great alarm clock, eh?
Well, since the PIN was blocked by RIM, what else can it be used for. OH! Wait, it could be used as a doorstop and hockey puck.

That's one versatile device right there, I tell ya.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #23
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Well, since the PIN was blocked by RIM, what else can it be used for. OH! Wait, it could be used as a doorstop and hockey puck.

That's one versatile device right there, I tell ya.
What is this hockey puck that you speak of?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #24
djransom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Whenever AT&T decides to drop the Bold stateside I will most def use that the Bedtime Mode.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #25
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Can someone help me appreciate the value of "Bedside Mode"? Wouldn't a configured profile like "Phone Only", "Silent", etc. accomplish the same goal?

I'm just trying to understand its value over using a profile.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #26
pongee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 2559B117
Carrier: Maxis

The Bold still comes with an on/off button right???

Cheers,

P.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #27
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDistinction View Post
Can someone help me appreciate the value of "Bedside Mode"? Wouldn't a configured profile like "Phone Only", "Silent", etc. accomplish the same goal?

I'm just trying to understand its value over using a profile.
Bedside mode is a new clock feature in OS version 4.6 that allows you to display a clock while your Blackberry Bold is charging. Rather than having to change a profile or turn off your phone, this feature can kick in whenever you plug in your phone for charging at night. Essentially, it turns your phone into a bedside alarm clock and is best used for those who travel and need a consistent alarm clock (you don't have to fiddle with the hotel clock radio anymore!).

Settings for this are in the Clock application. Within Clock, hit Menu then Options. The "When Charging" field allows for three options:

1. Do Nothing
2. Display Clock
3. Enter Bedside Mode

Within the options are also the options for Bedside mode. You toggle these options:

Disable LED
Disable Radio
Dim Screen

It's a way to do this without needing or having to change to a specific profile. It's also very useful if you plug in your phone at night for charging exclusively. I'm waiting for the the Desktop Charging Pod to become available so that I can turn my expensive Bold into a $5 alarm clock

On a side note, I wish you could set the alarm to be a Music playlist. This way it would be a $10 clock/radio

Hope that clears it up.
Santo
Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #28
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Will Beside Mode disable level 1 (high priority) alerts? When on call, I have rules setup to receive level 1 alerts and phone calls only at night.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #29
faibs

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I am running Bedside mode now and it dims the screen nicely. But leaving the screen on at night, is that bad for the screen itself for the long run??Create dead pixels? Significantly decrease the life span of the screen?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #30
cisconet

Model: 8800
Carrier: Singtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by faibs View Post
I am running Bedside mode now and it dims the screen nicely. But leaving the screen on at night, is that bad for the screen itself for the long run??Create dead pixels? Significantly decrease the life span of the screen?
I am curious to know this too
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #31
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Celcom

yeah, i got the charging pod yesterday and decided to test out bedside mode and found that the "dimmed" screen for the clock was way too bright and it kept me awake! is there a way to have the screen fully off after a while when it's charging in the pod?

i'm sure faibs is making a good point with the whole dead pixels thing if the screen is lit every night showing the clock.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 AM   #32
conker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 249E86E3
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
The 'Off' profile does all that - turns off all notifications and the LED. No need to create a new profile for that....
so what is on on this mode? Phone ringer, alarm clock, anything else?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 AM   #33
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Celcom

anybody have any suggestions as to how to turn off the screen whenever the bold is in the charging pod and bedtime mode?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:32 AM   #34
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaui View Post
anybody have any suggestions as to how to turn off the screen whenever the bold is in the charging pod and bedtime mode?
I've stopped using bedside mode, as it only offers a very restricted range of bedside mode profile changes. The 'right' way to have done this would have been to allow bedside mode (detection of external power) to activate a user selected profile (which could have been customised).

The whole profile handling capability in BB's remains rather lame in my opinion. Maybe there's a legal/patent issue, but I don't know why RIM persist in not giving BB's even simple capabilities that exist in even the cheapest Nokia phones - timed profiles to switch to an alternate profile for a fixed time.

There are some work-around apps about, but these use keystroke injection, which is clunky because it doesn't work whilst the phone is locked. Com'on RIM, where are the APIs to properly control profiles!!??!! Then we can get some decent apps (even if RIM doesn't want to write them) to switch profiles based on all sorts of timed and event conditions. This is one area where Windows Mobile has RIM licked - you can get apps that can change almost any aspect of the phone's operation (far more variables than in RIM's current profile settings), all timed and triggered automatically.

Eg Software for Windows Mobile Pocket PC: PhoneWeaver - SBSH Mobile Software

Last edited by wibbly; 10-21-2008 at 04:34 AM..
Closed Thread