BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
cleaner416

Model: 8700g
Default 8700 sync via Bluetooth? Anyone?

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone out there ever gotten an 8700 series to sync to a mac via bluetooth? If so, I'd love to know the steps you took. I cannot get it working at all. I can sync via the USB cable and PocketMac, but cannot get it working via bluetooth. I assume that PocketMac will be needed in all cases since I am not a BES user.

For what it's worth the whole experience has been very un-macish and user unfriendly. This PocketMac stuff feels like its put together with toothpicks and scotch tape.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaner416
Has anyone out there ever gotten an 8700 series to sync to a mac via bluetooth?
It can't be done.
Maybe someday, but not now.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
cleaner416

Model: 8700g

Bummer. It seems like one of those "don't hold your breath" items as well.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
chi20696

Model: 8700
Default Yes You Can

I've been looking at many posts, because I'm trying to decide between a treo 650 and and bb 8700. I have found that one can sync a bb via bluetooth if they downlowd pocketmac.net. Also, if anyone has some objective advice about the pros and cons concerning both your wisdom is welcome. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
lasmn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Bluetooth sync is too slow anyway. I did it with my treo and the sync speeds were glacial. Enjoy that glacier joke by the way, since your kids won't know what one is.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi20696
I've been looking at many posts, because I'm trying to decide between a treo 650 and and bb 8700. I have found that one can sync a bb via bluetooth if they downlowd pocketmac.net. Also, if anyone has some objective advice about the pros and cons concerning both your wisdom is welcome. Thank you.
chi20696: I used Palm devices for many years before switching to BB a few years ago. I jumped because Palm wasn't supporting the Mac platform the way it once did, and was hinting about dropping support entirely.

Thus, I can't state at this point that the Treo is the way to go if you own a Mac, but I'd suggest investigating Palm's HotSync support and which Macs/OS its desktop software works on. If both appear to work with the latest Macs (especially the Intel ones) and the latest version of Tiger, then Palm has a real advantage over BB in terms of syncing with your Mac/iApps because its desktop software was excellent when I was using it.

From there, it's a matter of determining which platform/phone offers the features you want/need, and which plan you want and how much you want to pay upfront/monthly. The BB is strongest in handling e-mail, especially corporate, so that's the strongest reason I use the 8700.

Good luck!
Closed Thread