Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #61
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone tried JiveTalk on the storm? I emailed BeeJive last week asking but have not heard back yet.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #62
speed4tu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

That sucks why did they decided to switch. I have almost every charger and car charger you can get b/c I am a phone whore. Naturally don't have that one tho.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #63
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm View Post
There is already a sticky thread for first impressions:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...pressions.html
Yes. But I think that is the Vodaphone model

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #64
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed4tu View Post
That sucks why did they decided to switch. I have almost every charger and car charger you can get b/c I am a phone whore. Naturally don't have that one tho.
They make adapters. Buy one of those. I bought 2 car charge but think I will return one and buy a few adapters instead.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #65
buster
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Torch
PIN: 22C1AFE4
Carrier: T

RIMM Research In Motion: Hundreds wait at Verizon stores for BlackBerry Storm - Reuters.com (43.67 +2.15)

Reuters.com reports hundreds of people lined up at Verizon Wireless stores on Friday to buy the BlackBerry Storm, the first touch-screen phone from Research In Motion that aims to compete with Apple's iPhone. More than 200 people had waited at a Verizon store in mid-town Manhattan early in the morning, many of whom were turned away after it ran out of the new phones less than an hour after opening at 8 a.m. The angry customers caused a ruckus and police came to restore order. Verizon said hundreds of others were in lines outside its stores up and down the U.S. east coast, but added that it had "plenty of phones" and would keep getting more shipments. It declined to give specifics on inventory levels.

came through the trader network here at 12:48 eastern
Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #66
brandon.aragon

Model: 8330
PIN: 302aa774
Carrier: verizon

wow, people really are crazy. how would you raise a a fuss over a phone. i mean i understand its a hot product but come on people
Old 11-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #67
ofelas

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

So whats the deal with the SIM slot & the GPS?
Are both unlocked?
Thx.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #68
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Are you all using this OS?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...5-english.html

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #69
WingmanErik

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A

I bought mine bright and early this morning. I've been playing with it all day, and have mixed feelings.

The touch screen works well, much better than any I've used. But if you rest a finger on the screen and try to push a different letter with another finger, it gets confused.

Also, after typing a text message, you have to press the menu button, then press send. I sure hope there is a shortcut for this.

So far...I'm up in the air. Maybe I'll keep it, maybe I won't
Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #70
JODZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Got mine this morning too. I have to be honest, I really like the phone. It does take some time to get the feel of it, but so far I'm sold. I'm sure in a few days I'll put down into words the +'s and -'s. But since getting it this morning, I can't really find anything that I don't like about the phone. For me I knew that with having a touch screen I was going to have to learn to do a few things differently. I agree with it being a bit of a challenge to go back in a text message and correct a mistake. I'm sure it will get easier. Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #71
Ggalat

Model: 8830
Default Got mine today - sp far I hate it

Well,

I got a Storm today (I had a 8830) . So far I hate it. Seriously. Things that used to be easy are really hard now, for example:

1) on the 8830, when I wanted to find a contact (say while I was walking in a airport), I could start by simply pressing a key (for example "r" to get a list of all my R contacts and then type the second letter, say "e" and get to Renee). Now, I have to go to contacts via a press, then hold my finger in the very thin search box at the top of the page, then a keyboard opens (if vertical a SureType, if horizontal a Qwerty) then I have to type r, e (which works about 10% of the time using SureType on a touchscreen), just to get to Renee. Way harder.

2) The browser works great for mobile sites in BB Browser mode. For Firefox or IE mode, it is stupidly slow and not intuitive at all. To simply select a bookmark from it requires <MENU> then press a <www> button on screen, then select bookmarks, then select your bookmark.

3) Accelerometer, nowhere close to as good as the iPhone or iPod Touch. The rotation only works 50% of the time.

4) I literally had to go back to the VZW store just to determine how to unlock the screen after it times out and locks automatically. The screen itself displays the lock icon and says "press the lock button to unlock screen", but the button is not press-able. Lo- and behold (after wasting an hour back-and-forth) there is a little hidden lock button on the outer case that is not even referenced in the lock page of the manual that has to be pushed. Dumb UI design.

5) Keyboard is almost useless if you do a lot of email. SureType is awful in the best of times, worse on a touch screen. Even the Qwerty is almost impossible for to use except with my index fingers (i.e, no thumbs). I have small hands, and still mis-type 80% of the letters.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #72
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

I got mine this morning and here are my early feelings towards it:

This is only my 2nd Blackberry, and I'm coming from the Pearl. So, it's a little different for me...but there's definitely a learning curve. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so I'll have a week to do nothing but play with it and get used to it. Yes...typing is a little tougher, but like I said..it's early. Learning curve, just like there was for me when I got my Pearl. Not overly concerned about it at the moment.

Screen is awesome. One of my biggest reasons for buying this was larger screen size.

I think a lot of the "issues" (lag) will be fixed with a firmware update. Again...not that concerned. Would I like it to be better out of the box? Sure....but all new products have issues. As long as they can be fixed in a timely manner...I'm fine with it.

As for those on the fence, I guess I can sum it up like this, and again...these are PERSONAL feelings: if you're a heavy user/emailer-probably not for you. If you're one of those who sends out 100 emails per day...probably not the best phone for you. If you're a casual user like myself..good option.

For those of you thinking about moving to Verizon from another network: unless you're unhappy with your network, I'd say stay. I don't think it's worth moving over for, not with the Bold on ATT. Honestly, if I didn't hate ATT as much as I do, I'd have gotten the Bold. But, I do like Verizon and was a current customer of theirs. If you're already a Verizon customer, I think like some of the reviews said...it's the best phone they have to offer.

But all things said, I'm not going to base my final view (like/dislike/keep/take back) on 4 hrs of playing with it. Give me a week at least.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #73
fmcgirt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubchucker View Post
I got mine this morning and here are my early feelings towards it:

This is only my 2nd Blackberry, and I'm coming from the Pearl.
I am mainly interested in the reception living in a fringe area. How does the RF compare to your Pearl? Not just bars but signal fade and/or dropped calls, holding calls with few bars, etc.

I hope that others will also chime in about their RF comparisons because for me if it does not have as good RF as other BBs then the rest won't matter.

Thanks,

Frank
Old 11-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #74
andyc0le

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Ok folks - my opinion.....I've had Pearl & Curve prior to last few weeks. 2 accounts due upgrade and 4-5 weeks ago I got the Bold. Day before yesterday I got the Storm and have been using it now for a few days.

In summary.....I'm giving it the weekend and then going back to the Bold....I dont think I can persevere much longer.

Some of my own views [have seen referred to in the forum by others] ....it can freeze on a screen more often than I'm comfortable with.

The "click" screen I am not convinced about and it doesnt yet feel "right". Typing WILL be slower, do doubt of that - try type the word here on suretype, and you need to lift and click lift and click etc.

The gap around the screen is small enough but big enough to be annoying.

The transition between screens is worringly slow. For fast users and power users it will frustrate....after 3 days I'm already looking at it and waiting.

Transition from portrait to landscape scares me sometimes! Just doesnt happen. I can be sitting with the phone fully upright for the display to be in landscape....need to "fool" it into swapping.

I miss keybard shortcuts like "f" for profiles etc - have to go through menus.

The swipe and touch not fully accurate.

Dont get me wrong, some will LOVE this device - nice and "sexy" for some. Beaut screen - movies great etc - phone function is VERY good, nice screen buttons etc. But for emailing and heavy use, I'm not sure it is going to win the masses.

Sorry, this is just my opinion - the Bold is an amazing device and I can hardly fault it....maybe I've been spoiled and if I was moving from pearl or curve to storm, then this view would be very different. If youve a choice, I would go Bold.

Hope this helps
Old 11-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #75
b121

I got one this morning, and so far I'm a big fan. I can see that it is not for everyone, but as someone who had a buggy 8703e, this is a hugh improvement. By the way, the store we were at said they had 30 yesterday, but took 100 names today...

In case anyone is interested, some tips I've learned so far:
- Number Lock: Hold down the key (re: question above)
- Shift Lock: Hold down the key
- Browser, tap once to toggle between full screen and menus (with zoom-in/zoom-out)
- From these forums, the first thing I did was change the typing speed to fast
- Changed the font size to 7
- In e-mail, multi-touch selects many e-mails to change status
- Hold down arrow keys to go to the top or bottom
- Hover over icons to read what they do.

That's all for now... enjoy everyone!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #76
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by b121 View Post
I got one this morning, and so far I'm a big fan. I can see that it is not for everyone, but as someone who had a buggy 8703e, this is a hugh improvement. By the way, the store we were at said they had 30 yesterday, but took 100 names today...

In case anyone is interested, some tips I've learned so far:
- Number Lock: Hold down the key (re: question above)
- Shift Lock: Hold down the key
- Browser, tap once to toggle between full screen and menus (with zoom-in/zoom-out)
- From these forums, the first thing I did was change the typing speed to fast
- Changed the font size to 7
- In e-mail, multi-touch selects many e-mails to change status
- Hold down arrow keys to go to the top or bottom
- Hover over icons to read what they do.

That's all for now... enjoy everyone!
Thanks for the info, it's nice to see something positive. I myself can't understand and take most of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. You can't possibly give an informative review in 2 hours of use. And I'm not trying to start anything, It's just my opinion.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #77
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggalat View Post
Well,

I got a Storm today (I had a 8830) . So far I hate it. Seriously. Things that used to be easy are really hard now, for example:

1) on the 8830, when I wanted to find a contact (say while I was walking in a airport), I could start by simply pressing a key (for example "r" to get a list of all my R contacts and then type the second letter, say "e" and get to Renee). Now, I have to go to contacts via a press, then hold my finger in the very thin search box at the top of the page, then a keyboard opens (if vertical a SureType, if horizontal a Qwerty) then I have to type r, e (which works about 10% of the time using SureType on a touchscreen), just to get to Renee. Way harder.

2) The browser works great for mobile sites in BB Browser mode. For Firefox or IE mode, it is stupidly slow and not intuitive at all. To simply select a bookmark from it requires <MENU> then press a <www> button on screen, then select bookmarks, then select your bookmark.

3) Accelerometer, nowhere close to as good as the iPhone or iPod Touch. The rotation only works 50% of the time.

4) I literally had to go back to the VZW store just to determine how to unlock the screen after it times out and locks automatically. The screen itself displays the lock icon and says "press the lock button to unlock screen", but the button is not press-able. Lo- and behold (after wasting an hour back-and-forth) there is a little hidden lock button on the outer case that is not even referenced in the lock page of the manual that has to be pushed. Dumb UI design.

5) Keyboard is almost useless if you do a lot of email. SureType is awful in the best of times, worse on a touch screen. Even the Qwerty is almost impossible for to use except with my index fingers (i.e, no thumbs). I have small hands, and still mis-type 80% of the letters.
WOW!!!!!! As I asked above, are you using the latest OS?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #78
dpeters11

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
I don't think that OS would work for a Verizon unit, since that's for the 9500 not the 9530.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #79
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Thanks for the info, it's nice to see something positive. I myself can't understand and take most of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. You can't possibly give an informative review in 2 hours of use. And I'm not trying to start anything, It's just my opinion.
That's why it's called "First Impression" lol

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #80
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
That's why it's called "First Impression" lol
Yeah true.