BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 06-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #181
taekwondodo

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I searched for 8330 - I just got one from VZ today and cannot get the app working. Says "GPS is not supported on your device, sorry".

I used to use bbtracker on my 8800, but when I lost my job, had to leave the phone with them. bbtracker doesn't work either on the 8330. What gives?

(you'll get a kick out of this, but I'm a skydiver and want to track my jumps (altitude, direction, speed, etc) and send to Google...).

Any help is appreciated.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #182
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwondodo View Post
I searched for 8330 - I just got one from VZ today and cannot get the app working. Says "GPS is not supported on your device, sorry".
the provider is the problem - verizon does not make the GPS Signal available to external applications [using the API] - it's sad, but that's it...

forum.emacberry.com • View topic - GPSLogger Not working on Storm 9530 [Verizon]

Sorry
Matthias
Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #183
taekwondodo

That's just friggen stupid - It's MY blackberry. Is there a way to reload a standard OS?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #184
emacf1

Quote:
That's just friggen stupid - It's MY blackberry. Is there a way to reload a standard OS?
I am sorry - but this is beyond my knowledge... it's a shame since I would love to see a log from a skydive jump!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #185
emacf1

GPSLogger update to 0.6.2

What's New?
  • "Distance Alerts/Signal" - Peep & vibrate after a user specified distance (in Meter or Feet) was traveled
  • Special marks in KML export of "Max Elevation", "Min Elevation" and "Max Speed" Locations
  • You can now load a Path into the background and can follow this background path without the requirement to start logging.

What's Fixed?
  • Export for of ultra long Path (39500+ Locations) supported

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Please note, that I have moved all the content to a new domain: http://www.emacberry.com [bb.emacf1.com does not exist any longer]

That's also the reason, that you might get an Information when updating to the new Version [a module with the same name (GPSLogger) exist] - simply continue by pressing "OK".

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Matthias

Last edited by emacf1; 06-09-2009 at 06:54 AM..
Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #186
taekwondodo

Something interesting over in the crack berry forum on this post about the code needed in a 3rd party app to fix the problem...

(I can't post links yet)
gps-verizon-8830-update-1279/index88.html#post2766674]GPS-Verizon]GPS-Verizon 8830-Update - Page 88 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

8830-Update - Page 88 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Now, I don't know Sheeite from shinola about where this would go in the app, but if you put a "private build" together with this in it, I would be the first to try it (like, today, before I go over to the VZ store and yell at the sales guy that lied to me yesterday) and give feedback...

And then send you that log as soon as I jump (likely Friday or Saturday)...

(I lost a BB on a night jump Saturday night doing +190mph in a head-down with only moonlight to see our ear-ear grins - Its why I got a new BB yesterday)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #187
don.new

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Funny thing, when I delete paths or locations it works fine, but the last remaining path or location seems to not delete. But when I quit the app and re-start I see that they were in fact deleted. Would it be possible to delete using the Del key, with confirmation pop-up? Thank you!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #188
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.new View Post
Funny thing, when I delete paths or locations it works fine, but the last remaining path or location seems to not delete. But when I quit the app and re-start I see that they were in fact deleted. Would it be possible to delete using the Del key, with confirmation pop-up? Thank you!
1)List refresh thing is solved...
2)DEL-Key should be already the hotkey
3)Well - confirmation - when you would like to have such a feature then you have to use BBFileScout to delete your files
Old 06-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #189
emacf1

GPSLogger update to 0.6.3

What's New?
  • If a location was loaded it will be always shown in the 'Path View'
  • New dialog to enter locations in the Degree, Minutes, Seconds (Milliseconds) format
  • Alignment of speed & elevation views based on relative (and not on absolute) time...

What's Fixed?
  • When using large fonts the path & location details could not be fully read...
  • Zoom works again when you are actually logging...

Please note, that I have moved all the content to a new domain: http://www.emacberry.com [bb.emacf1.com does not exist any longer]

That's also the reason, that you might get an Information when updating to the new Version [a module with the same name (GPSLogger) exist] - simply continue by pressing "OK".

Installation & Update

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Matthias

Last edited by emacf1; 06-12-2009 at 07:58 AM..
Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #190
taekwondodo

Wanted to "publicly" thank you for trying to get the patch around VZ on the 8330 - as we weren't able to get it working (and we put some big time in trying), I went to VZ and yelled at them - and they upgraded me with a Storm. Well, the logger works on the Storm - and I'm going skydiving tomorrow or Sunday, and I'll post the track here for people to play with...

Thanks again,
- Jeff
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #191
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Wanted to "publicly" thank you for trying to get the patch around VZ on the 8330 - as we weren't able to get it working (and we put some big time in trying), I went to VZ and yelled at them - and they upgraded me with a Storm. Well, the logger works on the Storm - and I'm going skydiving tomorrow or Sunday, and I'll post the track here for people to play with...

Thanks again,
- Jeff
How long did you have the non-gps-enabled phone to get the upgrade?

Skydiving - that should make an interesting track - zzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiipppppppppppp!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #192
taekwondodo

Default Tracked Skydives!

I did three jumps today (it was a slw day at the DZ) with the Storm - Software worked like a charm.

We normally take off in Hollister, CA - and fly about 15-20 miles south as we get to altitude where we exit the plane of Tres Pinos. As I tracked from the airport, the last 5 minutes are really where the jump and canopy ride are.

How do I zoom in on the storm to look at a particular section of a track? Also, the altitude appears as a "negative" on the track - is this normal (also, it seems that on each ride to altitude, some of the altitude info appears to be missing...)

Attached are the tracks for all to enjoy - loading into google earth right now. Should be interesting.

- Jeff
Attached Files
File Type: zip SkydiveTracks.zip (62.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #193
taekwondodo

Weird - the data does not seem accurate. in the last track, it seems I went instantaneously from 14K' to 3K', and in the second track, I seem to be moving all over the place "instantaneously" over areas I know I didn't fly over (however, the barrel-roll in the plane on the second track shows up well).

Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #194
emacf1

Hi Jeff,

Quote:
How do I zoom in on the storm to look at a particular section of a track?
Show the keyboard and use the [I] and [O] Keys...

Quote:
Also, the altitude appears as a "negative" on the track - is this normal (also, it seems that on each ride to altitude, some of the altitude info appears to be missing...)
the complete recording is really quite strange!

I spotted several issues - on the 3'rd path (14:59.02) after 11min 51sec there is quite a large shift/jump (location AND altitude) - it really looks like, that your device is getting "off" at a certain point and then after a while it's just click's in (to the correct location) - since you are in the air there can't be any buildings that disturb the GPS signal - might be that the plane electronics confuse the BB? - the second jump is at 17min 41sec [I assume that's the moment when you left the plane] - so everything between 11:51 and 17:42 seams to be shifted by over 2000m... for what ever reason!

Second jump hava similar issue (7:08 - 15:46 seams to be shifted)

Then the most irritating issue - the altitude information in general - it might be a error in my implementation - I'll have to check that in detail at home - but for sure you should have GAINED altitude when you have lifted off... but I do not know, what I could have done wrong here? - the Device pass my code an alt information (in the WGS84 coordinate system) - and I simply store this value 1:1...
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #195
taekwondodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
Hi Jeff,
I spotted several issues - on the 3'rd path (14:59.02) after 11min 51sec there is quite a large shift/jump (location AND altitude) - it really looks like, that your device is getting "off" at a certain point and then after a while it's just click's in (to the correct location) - since you are in the air there can't be any buildings that disturb the GPS signal - might be that the plane electronics confuse the BB?
What's weird, is the track in the plane appears correct - e.g., lat/long, but the altitude gets "stuck".

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
the second jump is at 17min 41sec [I assume that's the moment when you left the plane] - so everything between 11:51 and 17:42 seams to be shifted by over 2000m... for what ever reason!
Again, yes - it seems to "bounce" around where I am in lat/long. Most of our dives yesterday had some horizontal movements, but most of it was vertical. Only at the very end of the jump do we "track" (a term used for horizontal separation a group will do right before opening) - Some people can gain 60-80mph (horizontal) in a track.

I haven't figured out how yet to view the data in a 3D model (I assumed Google earth would allow it, but haven't figured it out yet).

Could there be some processing conflicts? I don't know how "powerful" either the GPS chip is or the processor is in the Storm...

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. Will keep trying it and posting tracks - but most likely not till next weekend.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #196
emacf1

the bounces correlates with a lost/gain of stats that are visible to the device... not very nice! Just for clarification - which was the REAL altitude at which you have left the plane?

BTW - the next Version of GPSLogger will include Option to use absolute Elevation values - so the plot will be correct then (when the option is enabled) - looks like the Storm & Bold have serious problems with the correct reading of the GPS data... [just my personal assumption]
Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #197
taekwondodo

our typical exit is between 14 and 14.5k. My altimeter logged between 14.2-14.3 on the jumps yesterday. Once out the door, the first 10 seconds is about 1000', then we hit terminal and about 1000' every five seconds till we open.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:25 AM   #198
emacf1

GPSLogger update to 0.6.4

What's New?
  • Option 'Use absolute elevation values': for some reason some devices (like Storm and Bold) seams to return "inverted" altitude value. Even if it's possible in WGS84 to have a negative altitude there are sample logs of users showing negative elevation values > ~250m - this is for sure not correct...
  • Location Manager will always show distance to current location in the location list...
  • Export format: CSV (incl. double quotes as value encloser)...
  • Export option: Only marked locations

What's Fixed?
  • KML Export: Marking of Max Speed when at the same location then with Max/Min Elevation
  • Added [BACKSPACE] as key shortcut for deleting a path or location in the corresponding manager screens

Installation & Update

Matthias
Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #199
emacf1

GPSLogger update to 0.6.4.1 HOTFIX

What's New?
  • Renamed Option 'Use absolute elevation values' in 'Use inverted elevation values' (and adjusted the internal implementation)

What's Fixed?
  • Logging will record altitude again

Installation & Update

Matthias
Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #200
hawk37

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers
Default Creating a Location....

Looking for some help here, I have created a point in deg min secs, but when I view the details, the lat long has changed a bit!!

For example, I create the location xxx8220;trialxxx8221; in the format deg min secs as:

N 46 deg, 24 min, 12 secs, 00 milliseconds
W 67 deg, 36 min, 24 sec, 00 milliseconds

And hit ok to save. Now I pull up my list of points, highlight xxx8220;trialxxx8221;, hit menu, then details, and the point comes up as

N 46 deg, 24 mins, 11.100 secs
W 67 deg, 36 mins, 23.100 secs

Can someone else try this and see if they get the same?
Ixxx8217;m new to this stuff, so am looking for some help here.
And Ixxx8217;m not on that Canadian happy smoke.

(Have a 9000 bold, with platform 4.0.0.155, downloaded gps logger 0.6.4.1 (B)
Thanks, Dave

Last edited by hawk37; 06-23-2009 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to being a mile in error, cause it isn't anywhere near that