Old 03-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
memetic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 97&81
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmob
Default GPS Please Talk to Me

Please Login to Remove!

Can I get my 9700 to talk to me? I want it to take the directions it gives me and tell them to me while I am driving. Can I do this (without having to pay for some service)? It is difficult (and dangerous) to keep looking at the map when I am driving. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
WebFox

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone NL

Wirelessly posted (9000)

Free? Nope. At least not as far as I know. There was a free navigation program but that does not work anymore.
There are full navigation suites, some of them you can find at the app store.
But all of them are paid versions.

Let me know if you find a free one!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Check the yellow sticky at the top of the GPS Section for reviews on most of the BB map apps. As Webfox said, I don't think there are any free ones with turn-by-turn voice directions any more.

If you really use it for driving, IMHO, a stand alone GPS unit is the best. Plus the prices are quite reasonable - some are even less than a year's subscription to telenav!

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 03-28-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Check out LifeInPocket.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
memetic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks everyone. I figured as much. My GPS just broke last week that is why I asked. I just hate having so many different devices, phone, netbook, GPS, digital camera, movie player for my son, iPod... I have to carry a freakin man purse to carry all this stuff. I guess I will have to do some more shopping. How do you guys coordinate your man purses with your outfits? Should I go neutral? I usually go with black...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
memetic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Check out LifeInPocket.
I am checking it out now, however, I am not a big fan of throwing all my personal info out onto their site. I skipped all that. If you enter a fake phone number you can just grab the link to download the app from the safety of your computer. I will update if anyone is interested.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
memetic
Thumbs Must Hurt

...so far this is pretty sweet. Thank you. I just need to find out how much of my personal data is being compromised because of this. I already dislike that the GPS in my phone can be used by others to track me.

Last edited by memetic; 03-29-2010 at 02:30 PM..
Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
memetic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Very spotty connection. Seems to be down a lot. I connected two out of five attempts.

Why can't I edit my previous posts?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
woodyuk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Telmap are accepting 9700 users as part of their Beta test so at the moment you can get voiced guided sat nav free from them.

I use it on my 9000 and it's worked well for me.

To get it,register here
Old 03-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
memetic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyuk View Post
Telmap are accepting 9700 users as part of their Beta test so at the moment you can get voiced guided sat nav free from them.

To get it,register here
Sorry, but rule number 7 in the Terms and Conditions is not for me. I am actually rethinking the whole GPS on my phone idea. I am pretty sure I will be removing the GPS antenna and getting a dedicated GPS. I am not paranoid, but it freaks me out knowing that people can find, track, follow, record my location(s) without me knowing -- and it is common.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyuk View Post

To get it,register here
It doesn't seem to work well for me. It never finds even the most basic addresses, even whole towns! strange. It also always asks for application permission changes no matter if i accept them all. FWIW
Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Movistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by memetic View Post
Sorry, but rule number 7 in the Terms and Conditions is not for me. I am actually rethinking the whole GPS on my phone idea. I am pretty sure I will be removing the GPS antenna and getting a dedicated GPS. I am not paranoid, but it freaks me out knowing that people can find, track, follow, record my location(s) without me knowing -- and it is common.
I really hope that by "removing the GPS antenna" you mean to go to Advanced Options and turn off your Location, I don't think its wise to chop the phone down.

While I agree a little with your paranoia, the bright side is that there are other apps or service that use this feature to recover your phone after you misplaced it or if it was stolen.

And I also agree with carrying only one device and my storm2 has already replaced my GPS, mp3, portable video player, laptop (for light web browsing and email), camera (great pictures!). And while the GPS is not turn by turn voice, I face the same problems as you but, I tend to use google maps 4 which at least provide voice searches and I memorize the next few turns or "exits" so I only look at the phone in some streetlight or anothe stop.

Good luck
Closed Thread