BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
splnkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Software for merging GPX and TIFF/JPG/DRG files?

Please Login to Remove!

Not sure if this is the proper formum for this question or not.

I have the BB 8310 running GPSLogger. Very nice little app for what I need. I mountainbike a lot, and it is great for exporting .GPX files of my journey.

I'm looking for software that will allow me to merge these GPX files with high res topo files of my area. I can download these topo files from our state government website. I'd like to be able to plot my bike course on these maps, and accurately "place" them.

I know there are a few online apps that can accept imported GPX files, but I want to be able to produce large size topo maps (or aerial or digital map files) on my desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

CG

Last edited by splnkr; 06-09-2009 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: spleling error
Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I don't know where to find it any longer but I have a program called

Wissenbach Map3d, version 2.43. It retrieves the USGS topo maps from a server and displays your route. It will even shade the topo optionally.

You can also use GoogleEarth to display your route if you use the other export format from gpslogger. I also have Garmin's proprietary Mapsource program which does what you want but you'd need to purchase their mapping software. I would be surprised if the googleearth format cannot be used with their google maps (terrain) in some fashion but I've not really explored that option.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Richb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default ...Try GPSED.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by splnkr View Post
Not sure if this is the proper formum for this question or not.

I have the BB 8310 running GPSLogger. Very nice little app for what I need. I mountainbike a lot, and it is great for exporting .GPX files of my journey.

I'm looking for software that will allow me to merge these GPX files with high res topo files of my area. I can download these topo files from our state government website. I'd like to be able to plot my bike course on these maps, and accurately "place" them.

I know there are a few online apps that can accept imported GPX files, but I want to be able to produce large size topo maps (or aerial or digital map files) on my desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

CG
I've been using GPSed (Map your tracks and photos, share your position from your mobile | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service) to do this. They have an app for the BBerry, but you dont need to use it -- you can use your app. You just need to upload your GPX files (possible translated, I don't remember) to their site and you can view on top of Google Maps.
I really like it.
Closed Thread