Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #41
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnp23 View Post
Apart from the gap between the screen and the phone (which will collect dirt, moister etc). I know that they will release the fixes to sort out bugs. But in the UK, we have 14 days to return the phone if not happy (I understand it is 30 days in US), my problem is what if they do not fix everything within 14 days? They cant even sort out the desktop software as majority of people are having problems installing it as it keeps crashing.
The other issue I have is that I was told that the 3 g (I think they call the network HSDPA) is equ. to wifi, but thats not true, it is extremely slow. On top of that is the battery life, sometimes less than 7 hours (with 50 minutes of calls and 20 minutes of browsing). The list goes on and on (unfortunately). I have had BBs for a while now, and was hoping this will be the same.
Can you not return the phone within the 14 day period and try it out again a month later?

Voda claiming that 3g is as fast as WiFi is plain wrong. It's not, its fast, but not equivalent to WiFi. This has nothing to do with the phone, or RIM, or this web forum. Complain to Voda about this issue.

If the battery life is not sufficient for your needs, this obviously isn't the phone for you. Have you adjusted screen brightness, back light timers, etc? You can probably squeeze a bit more life out of the battery by adjusting some of the power settings. (I'm going to assume you have already done this) Do you use bluetooth? is it on? Please don't get insulted by these questions, but you have nowhere indicated that you understand what can be done to improve battery life.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #42
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabusc View Post
@Jason Mark
I recently read about on the Vodafone forums the green call button falling off when they are using the pouch sleeve case...something about a piece of fabric on the inside catching the button as you are pulling it out? Do you know how sterdy the buttons will be on the Verizon version or will it be of the same build quality? My main concern is because I like the pouch sleeve style case for the phone and I currently use that type of case for my Curve. Any input or thoughts on? TIA
No I haven't heard of this nor have I had this problem in 3 months with the device. Yes the Vodafone version and the Verizon version will have the same build quality. Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about. IMHO, the build quality is damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UB4 View Post
People keep talking about this gap around the screen. Jason (or someone else with a Storm), can you post a pic of the gap so that we can see what everybody is talking about?
The picture is a tad misleading. IMHO, the gap on the Storm isn't much/if any different than on other BlackBerry devices. In person it doesn't look as big as it does in pictures.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #43
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Being able to see the inners above the keys is what would worry me. You would think they could have simply put a black piece of silicone in there to at least give the appearence of a sealed space. The gap doesn't look much different than that of the Curves buttons but that has something in it that makes it look sealed.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #44
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
The picture is a tad misleading. IMHO, the gap on the Storm isn't much/if any different than on other BlackBerry devices. In person it doesn't look as big as it does in pictures.
Thanks, Jason. Now I have a better idea of what everybody is talking about.

You've obviously spent a lot of time with the Storm and are a big proponent. Are you using a more recent OS than the Vodafone (.65, I think)? Have they solved some of the typing and lag issues that the VF users have been complaining about?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #45
keithmillar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

The thread on Vodafone UK has now after 4 days itxxx8217;s made 20 pages and 390 posts. Nearly 13,000 people have viewed this thread as well. Click this link - Storm Not Responding - Vodafone eForum
The list of the faults with the Storm are a lot, from concern about the gap round the screen, buttons dropping, limited battery life, screen freezing, sub-menus not working or freezing, little or no signal strength, The touch screen being more responsive in places than elsewhere. Also the sub menus, say, - save/delete/cancel xxx8211; how hard or how many times do you have to press the delete button to cancel a text. Customer Support staff not knowing the difference between BIS and BES, and then asking you to pay extra on top of your tariff for a BB Data package, when its already included in your tariff. Bluetooth that works one day then does not..... The list goes on and on. Even the release day was a farce as well. It is worth reading the link above just so that you can understand the problems/background.
Vodafone policy is that you can return your phone before 14 days, we are now on day 5. Everyone is asking about when the bugs/faults are going to be fixed and software updates, however no-one can get a proper answer if it will be before the 14 day deadline.
I'm already of thinking of returning my phone and thatxxx8217;s before my number is ported over from O2 and i can start making calls and send/receive e-mails.
I've also found, from a personal point of view, that i can suretype faster on my BB 8120 than I can use the Storm touch screen.
I also have to agree with Jason Mark, as the Storm is not for everyone.

Cheers

Keith

Last edited by keithmillar; 11-18-2008 at 06:05 AM..
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #46
brabusc

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

@keithmillar
Thanks for the link, read some of those pages and from what I keep reading the newer OS should fix most of the freezing, and lag...I think Vodafone shipped with .65 while Verizon's will ship with .7X? So most of those lag and freezing issues will be fixed on the Verizon's version...

I'm glad to hear that other people that have the sleeve case has not have their button fall off...apparently there were a few people (last I checked 4-5 people) that had the exact same problem.

I LOVE BB's...I had the older 8700 and now the 8300 and am a CrackBerry ADDICT...I am a Heavy user as my life is on my BB and I use AIM/GTALK/MSN on my phone so I am constantly typing away on it. I am comming from AT&T to Verizon...I read a post and I am actually going to be doing the exact same thing and I suggest people who are worried do the same...I will be opening a new line on Verizon, the rep told me that he will just give me a temp number until I decide to port over my current number...I will use the device for a little bit and if I decide its not for me return it within the 30 day period and wash my hands clean (then get the BOLD)...I'll still have number and don't have to deal with going back and forth.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #47
keithmillar
Thumbs Must Hurt

It would now appear that the sleeve cases have been made a priority within RIM. Looks like theres a design fault. The Battery has now been recognised as a major problem, and also signal strengh, but no-one, as yet knows if its a software or hardware problem.
There are also a lot of users picked up on the OS problem and it looks like they/I have .65. As yet no-one has said anything about 7X? I would also add that some users have 6.1 on their Storms.
The web link i gave this morning has now had over a 1,000 hits today and has passed the 14,000 there are now around the 430 posts

My Storm has broke, it was (i think) charging OK this morning as about 6.00am, well should i say it have the clock face showing on the screen. When i came to try and use it everything was blank and nothing would power up. Nothing would start, a hard reboot did not work. Took the battery out and waited 5mins or so but still nothing.
My phone is being collected in the morning and then i'll get my contract changed or cancelled. If i cancel then i don't think i'll be the only one before the 14 day rule runs out which is the 28th Nov.

Its just typical, my phone gave up the ghost this morning and by 11pm i was a Voda customer, my number was ported over, so i just took my sim out of the Storm and put it an unlocked old Nokia i had and i can now send texts and calls.

Cheers

Keith
Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #48
zoltan01

Model: STORM
Default It went back today

After 5 days , sorry to say . It just didnt do what it said on the tin. The final nail in the coffin was that the phone just froze up twice . Battery out etc.
Back to the Bald . Apple must be rolling on the floor .
Had a chat with the man from BB ,he dismissed the issues with a superiority and phlegmatic way ,I almost kicked him in the balls .
Ref. the battery issue: he told me to buy a extra one as a reserve.
The gap around the screen :computers have gaps .
Anyway the manager from Vf was not amused the way the conversation was going . In the end Maurice from BB left...
Its a shame that BB releaset a product , that was not ready . Just like iPhone mark 1.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #49
Jerec

Model: 8100
Carrier: Green

Well I'm surprised that the threads that help everyones complaints have been deleted.

I posted up that our evaluation Storm we were given crashes every 5 minutes, hangs, drops calls and the touch screen isn't accurate when you press it.

Unless they fix these issues, I'd advise everyone to return it and wait for fixes.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #50
jnyost

Model: 9550

My new Storm doesn't have any of the problems you listed. No reason to return it.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #51
petedread

Model: 9500
Carrier: vodafone
Default i love my storm

i love my storm, less, than i did. i want to love my storm but it is becoming a bit of a pain in the ass. it responds slowly to key pressing, even when texting, just navigating the phone in general is becoming slow. some times the phone stops responding altogether and i have to pull the battery, i could does this happen to any one else? will bb release a update that i can install to make my phone work better? or does it just have a slow prosssor? if it would stop crashing and speed up a little ikt would be the best phone in the world, i think any way.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #52
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedread View Post
i love my storm, less, than i did. i want to love my storm but it is becoming a bit of a pain in the ass. it responds slowly to key pressing, even when texting, just navigating the phone in general is becoming slow. some times the phone stops responding altogether and i have to pull the battery, i could does this happen to any one else? will bb release a update that i can install to make my phone work better? or does it just have a slow prosssor? if it would stop crashing and speed up a little ikt would be the best phone in the world, i think any way.
LOL! I wanted to love my Storm too, but after 8 days of nothing but issues with it (reboots,freezes, etc) I returned it. Smartest thing I've done all year. Today, I see online that Verizon just rejected the .113 update that everyone was expecting them to issue "any day".
Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #53
adorkable

PIN: Ask.

Simple answer. I haven't returned my storm because I haven't had any reason to.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #54
project86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnp23 View Post
By the sound of it, they have released a non working device, with BETA software and are relying on users to help them make it work.
ALL software relies on users help to make it better. How else will they learn of any bugs or glitches? The updates that are available now are beta. The full version is not out yet so RIM is relying on users to report bugs and issues with the phone in order to come out with a fast and reliable software. Nothing is perfect out there. Software and programs are, after all, created by man. And man is not perfect.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #55
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorkable View Post
Simple answer. I haven't returned my storm because I haven't had any reason to.
Pictures of the Storm 2 surfaced today. Anyone within their 30 day return period MIGHT want to consider returning their first gen storms before they are stuck with them.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #56
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
Pictures of the Storm 2 surfaced today. Anyone within their 30 day return period MIGHT want to consider returning their first gen storms before they are stuck with them.
New Storm is rumored to have a non push touch screen, I am very interested in this new device.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #57
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
New Storm is rumored to have a non push touch screen, I am very interested in this new device.

IF true, the Storm won't be differentiated from other TS phones and I sure won't be interested in purchasing it if it causes the typo-prone keyboarding experience I suffer with my Touch. The SurePress screen was one of the MAIN reasons I bought the Storm.

Here's hoping the rumors are false.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #58
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 31394XXX

This gap around the screen, isn't it a necessity so as to facilitate the apparent "click" feature?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #59
kenneth050881

Carrier: Vodafone Australia

Why is everyone getting hung up on the gap around the screen?

My experience is that it really isn't an issue and the gap doesn't directly lead under the screen, i.e. it is sealed.

So if dust or a drop of water gets down the side it cant get under your screen! It really isn't an issue IMO
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #60
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
The thing that annoys me is that it IS perfectly possible not to have to push the screen on the storm. e.g storm slider has a keypad input which works from just lightly tapping the touch screen. This should be an option for ALL keyboard input IMO then you can make the choice.

With 141, I think we've got a far better piece of HW with real multitasking OS than the iPhone.

Last edited by rileyrg; 05-18-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Closed Thread