Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
philparis

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: bouygtel
Default Stuck with my 8830

Please Login to Remove!

Hi to all
forgive me if i ask for already answered questions, i am new on this forum (as new as my BB !)

I bought my 8830 Verizon World edition unlocked from a "professional" chinese Ebay seller.

Here are the system and software data of this smartphone:
System version: 4.2.2.196 (Platform: 3.0.0.84)
Kernel Version: 3.8.4.47

I have several problems.

1/ i am using a Mac computer with a 10.4.11 OS which forbids me to use the actual Destop Manager which is suitable only for OS 10.5 and later (Intel machines)
Maybe some of you know where i can find an older version (for PPC Macs) of this Desktop Manager ?
Or am i obliged to use a PC to perform any task with this phone ?

2/I dont have any BB plan of any kind with my carrier (Bouygtel in France) and when i tried to set up a POP account i only had the choice between an Enterprise server and the skipping of the email setup. If i change the software on the phone (i currently have been able to download the 8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel138_PL3.4.0.7_A4.5.0.101 Version of the system)
will i have the choice of the POP account setting up ? (if i succeed in installing it !)

I must say that i use an Android phone for the moment (Huawei) and that the email setup was a breeze. BUT it is not a very good phone for calling that's why i wanted to have a wellknown standard of the industry as a BB

3/ when i insert my SIMcard, i am not able to download the contacts from it into the address book. It says "SIMcard access error"
The strange thing is that when i insert my former carrier SIMcard (Orange) it is working (but when i change back the card to the previous one, all contacts disappear because i have to remove the battery)
Is there a workaround for this ?

4/ the Opera browser is in Chinese, can i find a french or English version for free somewhere ? or does the BB have an embedded browser itself?

5/ where can i change my phone number identity (for the moment i see an american number showing up saying that it is my number when i try to place a call) ?

Thanks a lot to those who will try to help a newbie like me !

Philippe in Paris, France
Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

1. There is only the one version of DM for Mac, as its relatavily new, and does not offer all the abilities of DM for PC.

2. No. You need a Blackberry data plan to setup email on a blackberry.

4. go to opera mobile site to have a look, though im not sure how you get in on the phone without a data plan. And yes, the BB has a browser, but without a blackberry data plan, you won't be able to use it.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

1. Try PocketMac or MissingSync. Use Google to find a download link.

2. You have to have a BB data plan for email, BBM, AppWorld and many other apps. An OS upgrade has nothing to do with that.
What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

Have you activated the phone with your carrier?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
philparis

Model: 8830
Carrier: bouygtel

Thank you both for your quick answers.
Too bad for the DM and Mac systems, i think i will have to reboot my old old PC (i just hope it will still be working !)
I read on a french BB forum that my carrier can activate the "BB" option for free as i already have a plan with illimited Internet, email and sms access(even TV on the cellphone !); my only concern is if i will still be able to use my android cellphone email system when i want to.
Just a question: what will change on my cellphone when this plan will be activated, will i be able to setup my two POP3 accounts ? (in other terms will a pop account option become available after this activation ?)

I already installed PocketMac and Missingsync but they are only good for Syncing not for system upgrade or software install, or am i wrong here ?

Does anyone have any hint about the SIMcard problem ?

Philippe in Paris
Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

yes the option will become available once the correct data plan is activated.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread