BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
AMSOS

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry Warranty replacement of CS-2 battery; aftermarket manufacturers?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I am in quite disappointed with T Mobile/BB after the local store refused to replace what seems to be a defective battery of my 8520.

I had bought the phone through T Mobile online less than 4 months ago, and today the salesperson simply told me that they can't replace the battery since technically the warranty is 3 months!

I am quite unhappy with this stress on technicalities. After all, the battery backup has gone down significantly since the last month or so. And even if the battery started to go bad after the warranty period should they have some kind of grace period?

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions about how I can get the battery replaced?

Also, can someone suggest a relatively cheaper battery as replacement? I've heard good things about Seidio but am not sure I am willing to shell out nearly 50 $ at this point !

I checked up and Amazon seems to have the OEM CS-2 battery for as low as 3 or 4 $. I am quite confused as to how this is possible.

If I need to replace the battery on my own, would it be safe to go for the Amazon batteries?

Any other aftermarket battery manufacturer that I should check out?

Thanks !
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Warranty replacement of CS-2 battery; aftermarket manufacturers?

As far was the warranty question, it is what it is. For what it's worth, there are a few ways you could have helped the battery to an early demise. See the battery article at blackberryfaq.com.

As far as what to buy, my advice is buy a genuine BlackBerry battery, and buy from a reputable source. I can't advise on price. I would avoid buying something that is too cheap even if it is advertised as an OEM battery. But that's me.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-12-2012 at 09:14 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I would not buy a cheap, knock off battery. You depend on that battery for power when you are away from a power source. Why go for something cheap that probably won't last and could damage your device.

Get an OEM battery made for your specific BB. And never let it run down to less than 20 % if you can help it. I find the battery works best when kept toped up when you are near a power source.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I bet if the OP just said the phone was going dead they would have replaced it. sometime too much detail to a sales person is not good. Play dumb.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
AMSOS

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks guys! I see your point about going for a genuine battery, whether BB or aftermarket.

I think the general consensus is that Seidio is the best aftermarket supplier. I have been searching online and there also seems to be this other brand - Lenmar. Can anyone comment on their experience with this brand?

And believe it or not, the 8520 OEM battery is out of stock everywhere. Not available at the store, or online on the BB website!

And thanks a lot for the blackberyfaqs link. I think I made a mistake because I would regularly wait till the battery was down to 5 or 10 % before recharging it fully. I have always followed this with other cellphone batteries - or any other kind of battery for that matter - and never had a problem. In fact, I was led to believe that going from 100 % to near empty and then recharging it fully ensures a long life for the battery!

So in fact, I would imagine that topping up everyday as this site suggests would actually lead to problems. But clearly, this guy writes from experience and it would seem that BB batteries are to be treated differently. Why so?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The use pattern you outlined was good for old NiCad batteries of days and devices gone by. All phones these days, not just the BB (laptop computers and tablets too,), use lithium batteries, which do not like to get below 20% on a regular basis as that damages the battery. Keeping them topped up actually seems to make them run longer and last longer.

I always keep mine plugged in when in the office and sometime in the car, depending on the length of the trip and expected time away from a power source.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 02-12-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

It was Dubdub I think who posted a link to a good article on the lithium ion battery that gets into the chemistry and how the battery degrades, and answers the question of why topping off frequently is better, all things being equal. Should be easy to find if interested.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread