Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Smile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.
Everything looks good! I now have Documents To Go and HTML email! The only rework I had to do on the BlackBerry was organizing the icons into three super-folders that I had created under the old OS (Web & Email, Utilities, and Setup & Config). These didn't get retained through the upgrade process.

--Jim--
Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #222
Brickman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Locking Up

Since I upgraded my 8330 I am experiencing lock ups. They last anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes. I never had this problem in the past, so I am thinking it has to be the upgrade. Has anyone else experienced this?

My batter life seems to suck now too.

Last edited by Brickman; 10-31-2008 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #223
cjk1026

Model: Curve

I had an initial problem getting 4.5 on my VZW Curve, but after doing a hard drive search for "vendor" files I found a additional file that was hiding. After removing both "vendor" files the installation went flawlessly.

The problem being reported as speakerphone answering for a second or so before the call goes to either the regular speaker or bluetooth headset happens only intermittently to me, maybe 40% of the time or less.

It's been 2 weeks since my upgrade and getting HTML email is great and is definitely worth the small hassle I went through.

A special thanks to the posters on this board for all their continuing help, especially the moderators. You guys are the best!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #224
sm100378

Question Downgrade OS Help

I am having issues where my BB8330 is saying I do not have any browsers installed, nor does the HTML option appear. Is there anything I need to do to downgrade back to 4.3? When I install the 4.3 to the computer, I plug in BB, open DM but it doesnt update. How do I downgrade it?

***It is asking for the PIN and Password

Thanks!

Last edited by sm100378; 10-31-2008 at 02:07 PM..
Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #225
leibdav1

Just tried to go to the vzw smith micro site to download OS 4.5, and it only has OS4.3. What happened to 4.5? I can't seem to download it on that site. Anyone have a link to another download location?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #226
Bla1ze

Model: All!
PIN: PiMP
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

VZW yanked this file...again.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #227
sm100378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
VZW yanked this file...again.
They never had it on, I have checked the last week.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #228
jpcalhoun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Default So...is there a 4.5 release for Verizon

Noobie here. Got a simple question. After reading all the threads on OS 4.5 I am now complete confused, I have one simple question...is there a Verizon released version of 4.5? I'd love to have DTG. I am a converted Treo user and really miss DTG. I followed the link on TSanders post to a Verizon Upgrade...it is still offering 4.3 as the latest OS.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #229
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

The Verizon version got pulled back by Verizon shortly after it was posted. You can use one of the other versions if you want. Just follow the instructions. Or you could just wait a couple more days. Verizon will probably re-release it soon.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #230
The Burn

Default Anything for me other than HTML E-mail

Since I'm on a BES and with Verizon, trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to upgrade compared to the hassles. So what does the upgrade have that I don't already. I've already got voice notes and video, and I can read Word and PDF attachments from e-mail (and don't want to edit Word docs on my Curve).

I would love html e-mail and have been looking at 3rd party apps. (Would really love a decent Tasks app, but that's another story and another thread?)

What else does the 4.5 upgrade provide?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #231
sm100378

Exclamation Update from Verizon

I emailed Verizon and they responded with the following. Hopefully this will stop any rumors floating around here....

We appreciate your interest in our data products and services. Blackberry Handheld Software version 4.5 has been released directly by Blackberry. Please be advised that this version has not been approved by Verizon Wireless so we are unable to support or assist in the download, installation, or functionality of this software. We'd like to assure you that we are committed to providing the very latest in products and services. For that reason, we rigorously test our products prior to launching them in an effort ensure they meet our standards of excellence. Doing so allows us to confidently address information regarding products or services that we currently offer. Disclosing any unconfirmed information that may be subject to change could raise expectations that may not be met. At this time, we are unable to state if/when Blackberry Handheld Software version 4.5 will become available as no information has been given. We understand and sincerely apologize for any frustration and would like to encourage you to sign up for email updates so you can receive information regarding our new products and services.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "Sign up for email updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless homepage. The most current Verizon Wireless approved versions of the BlackBerry Desktop and Handset software are available to you free of charge at the link below:

vzw.smithmicro.com/BlackBerry/
Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #232
jpcalhoun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Burn View Post
Since I'm on a BES and with Verizon, trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to upgrade compared to the hassles. So what does the upgrade have that I don't already. I've already got voice notes and video, and I can read Word and PDF attachments from e-mail (and don't want to edit Word docs on my Curve).

I would love html e-mail and have been looking at 3rd party apps. (Would really love a decent Tasks app, but that's another story and another thread?)

What else does the 4.5 upgrade provide?

Thanks
You're right about "viewing" Word /EXCEL etc and PDF files on your Curve as it is. The problem is that's all you can do..."view". Another draw back is if you decide to save the email with attachment you start to eat up a lot of internal memory. OS 4.5.XX with Doc To Go allows you to save the email and attachment to your SD card (saving internal memory) and allows you to edit documents, save them etc. I guess alot of people don't need that capability, but once you get used to it, it is hard to get along without it. HTML is nice... and there are a couple of good 3rd party ones as you mentioned.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #233
serpico007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus

Any news on an official Telus OS update?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #234
corybarwick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm100378 View Post
I emailed Verizon and they responded with the following. Hopefully this will stop any rumors floating around here....

We appreciate your interest in our data products and services. Blackberry Handheld Software version 4.5 has been released directly by Blackberry. Please be advised that this version has not been approved by Verizon Wireless so we are unable to support or assist in the download, installation, or functionality of this software. We'd like to assure you that we are committed to providing the very latest in products and services. For that reason, we rigorously test our products prior to launching them in an effort ensure they meet our standards of excellence. Doing so allows us to confidently address information regarding products or services that we currently offer. Disclosing any unconfirmed information that may be subject to change could raise expectations that may not be met. At this time, we are unable to state if/when Blackberry Handheld Software version 4.5 will become available as no information has been given. We understand and sincerely apologize for any frustration and would like to encourage you to sign up for email updates so you can receive information regarding our new products and services.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "Sign up for email updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless homepage. The most current Verizon Wireless approved versions of the BlackBerry Desktop and Handset software are available to you free of charge at the link below:

vzw.smithmicro.com/BlackBerry/
The software is back up for Verizon now. Follow the link in the first post of this page and it should take you right there.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #235
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW
Default Audio Fixed

The file is back on the VZW site.

I have the exact file name for when I put the beta on my device. If it is identical, then I don't care.

However, there was an outstanding audio issue that I was hoping was fixed. Anyone know if it has been?

If it has, then I need to figure out how the fake the Desktop Manager into upgrading my device to over-write the existing OS. Not sure how to do that.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #236
kdelinux

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default Whip out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzuluberries View Post
It will work with the Sprint BB 8330 (It will work with any branded 8330). You must follow the directions in the first post.

if I update this OS with it whip out my info and link to L NOTES??
Old 11-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #237
rita1

Carrier: alltel

I have had my 8330 for months now and javascript isn't working. I did everything it said to do so why doesn't it work?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #238
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1004
The file is back on the VZW site.

I have the exact file name for when I put the beta on my device. If it is identical, then I don't care.

However, there was an outstanding audio issue that I was hoping was fixed. Anyone know if it has been?

If it has, then I need to figure out how the fake the Desktop Manager into upgrading my device to over-write the existing OS. Not sure how to do that.
If the version number is the same then there are 0 differences regardless of what carrier put it out or what the filename is. If they change something it gets a new version number.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #239
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

If the version number is the same then there are 0 differences regardless of what carrier put it out or what the filename is. If they change something it gets a new version number.
I am going to give .97 beta a go anyway. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #240
nycebo

Downloading the recently reposted version of 4.5 from Verizon. Will report back with the results of the upgrade when it's completed (or not).
Closed Thread