Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Cocooningweb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Cellular South
Default Scanning for Satellite ...

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I just upgraded from a 8700 to a 8800 today and I'm very pleased so far.

I installed BBMaps and selected "Start GPS" in the menu, but I don't seem to be able to connect to any satelites. My Blackberry is stuck on "Scanning for Satelilte ...". I also went into Options > Advanced Options > GPS > Refresh but it also gives me the same message "Scanning for Satellite" and returns 0 for everything.

Did I forget to enable anything? Thanks !
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
sd5187
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Rogers

You must be outside for the GPS to work. Also, are you in an open area vs in among a large number of tall buildings? GPS doesn't work well in the downtown areas of large cities as the buildings impair the GPS signal.

These things can all affect how the GPS works.

You can check if the GPS is working by going into Options>Advanced Options>GPS. Then press the menu key and select "Refresh GPS". It will give you LATS, LONG, # of Satellites etc.

Last edited by sd5187; 07-17-2007 at 03:54 PM..
Old 07-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
AuroraProject
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Are there any programs that allow you to enter the latitude and longitude for geocaching?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
EmptyInTheHead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraProject View Post
Are there any programs that allow you to enter the latitude and longitude for geocaching?
Spot is probably the best for that type of thing.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
AuroraProject
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyInTheHead View Post
Spot is probably the best for that type of thing.
That looks perfect, thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Cocooningweb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Cellular South

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd5187 View Post
You must be outside for the GPS to work. Also, are you in an open area vs in among a large number of tall buildings? GPS doesn't work well in the downtown areas of large cities as the buildings impair the GPS signal.

These things can all affect how the GPS works.

You can check if the GPS is working by going into Options>Advanced Options>GPS. Then press the menu key and select "Refresh GPS". It will give you LATS, LONG, # of Satellites etc.
Thanks guys for your reply. I tried it again in the car and it worked. Sorry for the delay in my feedback, I totally forgot I had posted this question

Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
jeffmik

Model: none
Carrier: carrier

Wirelessly posted (7130e: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

My Telus 8830 definitely does not have the "refresh" option under Advanced and GPS

My GPS has been extremely unreliable over the past week. I'm on holidays in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and was able to use BB Maps perfectly for a week and then it just stopped completely - I tried battery pulls and everything but couldn't get any GPS coverage for 3 days. Even with crystal clear skies and obviously no tall buildings around (even out on the water!)And yet tonight its giving accurate "find me" results tonight in the hotel room with all the curtains closed, which shouldn't work.

I'm confused by why this is happening and dissappointed it isn't reliable enough to depend on for any sort of guidance.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

For Canadian 8800's, in order to use the GPS software, you must hold the phone a few inches from your mouth, and clearly say "Git me a fix, EH?".

I find it shaves tens of seconds at least on the time it takes for the receiver to lock in.

PS - standing on tippy-toes helps too (getting closer to the satellites, and all).
Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
jeffmik

Model: none
Carrier: carrier

Another trip (this time a drive to Denver) and again, the phone is not reliable enough with GPS coverage to be considered useful. Even BB Maps won't consistently find satellites - the same with Google Maps and Telenav.

Wide open skies, full cellular signal. It seems like the GPS is in a sleep mode and won't activate because all of a sudden, randomly, it works and any of the programs will all be perfect.
Closed Thread