Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
ultra99

Model: 9700
PIN: 21751B8D
Carrier: NA
Default import contacts from excel or csv to BB

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched and googled but I'm not getting what I want.

I have my contacts on an excel sheet and a csv file, how to I import either files to my BB WITHOUT the use of outlook?

There's a trick using DM 4.2, but I have the latest 5.1 and I don't want to revert back to older versions.

Also, I how to I delete my entire contact list on the BB?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

I am outlook user. However, take a look at Google. There may be way to export to google and import to BB in a wireless fashion.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If DM 4.2 makes it happen, why not save yourself some grief and frustration and go that route? My guess is you won't find any other way, other than perhaps Google or Outlook/Outlook Express.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
ultra99

Putting google aside, I'm trying it with Outlook 2010, but I get "No available message stores" error when I configure synchronization in DM. I googled and did the imap.dll trick but I get the same error. Any suggestions?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
ultra99

So any ideas guys???

I tried every possible solution I could think of but still get this dreaded error message! I even created a new account on win 7, still nothing. My last resort probably is reformatting, should I go for it??? (I hope I don't have to, tho..)
Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Outlook 2010 is still in Beta the last time I checked. I would not expect the BB to play nicely with it.

Have you tried a "real" version of Outlook? Don't expect much help for Beta software since most of us have never seen or used the 2010 version.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
ultra99

really? I thought all of you would be all over office 2010 since it's a huge improvement over 2007. I have Office 2007, so you I should scrape 2010 and install 2007? Or even install Outlook 2007 alone?

on another note, this problem isn't exclusive for 2010, 2007 have similar problem, for example: http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=US&sloc=&p=1

now I'm totally frustrated....
Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

I use office 2007 and didn't have an issue either with Windows 7 or Vista. I saw your PM

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Does DM 5 not have the ASCII import/export syncronize tool anymore?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
ultra99

I uninstalled 2010 and reinstalled 2007 and it works....for now.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
tkessler2

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TELCEL
Default Transferring or Importing Contacts from CSV file 0x80040057 error - How to fix

I recently transferred my Nokia E65 address book to my new Blackberry Tour 9630 through Intellisync. I got it done, but it was an arduous process. Transferring via Outlook or Google may work - but you can end up with missing fields - corrupted data, etc and many don't want to install those apps just to use that function.

If you can get your contacts from your originating phone into a CSV file, you can then manipulate them in a spreadsheet. Then you can use the ASCII importer to get them cleanly and completely into the BB. Here are the tricks:

1) The CSV file format must include both a comma and a delimiter around each field unconditionally. MS Excel 2002 will not write a CSV file this way. I was able to use Open Office Calc spreadsheet program, which writes the flavor of the format Intellisync needs. Other CSV editors may work too.

2) The ASCII Importer will ignore a CSV file with a trailing CR/LF sequence at the end of the file. Unfortunately Open Office writes this way. To fix, download and install a free hex file editor, like Frhed, to remove the last two bytes (x0D, x0F) before you import it.

So here is the procedure:

1) Create a dummy contact entry in your blackberry with all the fields used and export it to a CSV file on your PC. This will give you a reference file with the field names your Blackberry may use. Most of these names are also in the Intellisync ASCII importer help file, but the best reference is your BB itself.

2) Note some fields, even though they exist, do not transfer. My User Defined 1-4 fields exist on my Blackberry and in the reference file, but do not export out nor in. Address3, Mobile Phone 2, and Home Fax all exist in the ref file, but not on the BB. To figure out what transfers and what doesn't for your BB, create a fully populated test entry on both device and PC. syncronize each, and look carefully at what transfers and not.

3) Load the originating phone CSV file into the spreadsheet on another tab. Compare the field names from your originating phone to your BB field names. In my case, my Nokia has Spanish names and my BB English...
You'll need to figure out how to map each of your originating field names to a BB column.

4) Carefully replace the data columns of the reference CSV file you pulled from the BB, with the data from your original handset, making sure you conserve the correct BB field headers. You may have to consolidate data from multiple columns on your original phone date into one column on your BB data. Be careful not to put data in a column that doesn't transfer, like "Mobile Phone 2".

5) Save the edited CSV file from Open Office or other editor, then open it with the hex editor and delete the last CR/LF (x0D, x0A) byte, and save again. The file is now ready to import into your BB.

6) Configure your synchronization settings to use your newly created file and replace the contact data in your BB

Final note: be careful about extraneous quote marks or other characters in your field data that can corrupt the import process.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra99 View Post
I've searched and googled but I'm not getting what I want.

I have my contacts on an excel sheet and a csv file, how to I import either files to my BB WITHOUT the use of outlook?

There's a trick using DM 4.2, but I have the latest 5.1 and I don't want to revert back to older versions.

Also, I how to I delete my entire contact list on the BB?

Thanks
ROUND ABOUT::: (if you have gmail)
Transfer to your google account:
Delete your gmail account form your BB device in order to set it up again. When You set it up again, it will ask if you want to import your contacts and it will do it for you.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
snowmangoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22CF79CB
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

There is a program on mobihand called "BlackBerry AddressBook Synchronizer (Access,Excel,Oracle)" that I'm supposed to be reviewing for BBCool, but it was so terrible that I'm not even finishing up the review.

That said, just because I had issues with it doesn't mean you will. There is a demo, and .csv IS one of the import options. You might check it out and see if it meets your needs. If it DOES, please let me know... I'd like to ask you some questions. Thanks!
Closed Thread