BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
vintageblue

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: foreign
Default why does my battery drain so quickly?

Please Login to Remove!

I start with full battery in the morning, by 5 in the afternoon its completely drained, I set bluetooth and wifi off, 50% brightness, regular calling and email. Can anyone help explain why? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

It really depends on how much you use it and how you use it. Do you talk a lot? Do you surf? What data apps are running? What apps are running in the background? Are you in a 3G fringe area?

IMHO, there is no real way for us to actually help. I would say you are doing pretty good on battery life. Check the various forums and do a search.

Here is something from the FAQ: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...m_Battery_Life

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

My personal experience with the 9700 indicates that battery life is on the poor side; I believe that the 3G is a contributing cause. It's poor enough that I my consider switching back to an 8900. I can't be charging this thing multiple times in a day.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Really? I have used the bold 9000 and the 9700, and I have noticed t
hat the battery is much better on my 9700. Interesting.

To the op: what kind of coverage area are you in? And are you in a school or other think building that blocks cell signal?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

My battery lasts me through the day, quite easily. One thing that seriously affects battery life is being on the fringe of a 3G area - the phone keeps trying to find a 3G signal, and is constantly searching. That will eat your battery. Try switching to 2G only for a day or so and see if that makes any difference. (I know you want the 3G service that you paid for, but do it as an experiment.) - OPTIONS / MOBILE NETWORK / NETWORK MODE: 2G
Old 12-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
nccjones

Carrier: TMobile

I'm new to the blackberries and have had the BB 9700 Bold for about a month now. My battery lasts me almost 2 days or more! I make a few phone calls (not alot....I'm not much of a phone talker...lol) but I'm constantly searching the web or am on BB Apps or downloading something. I'm such a BB junkie right now and I'm always surprised at how much battery life I have after doing all that stuff.

I've heard certain themes will drain your battery. I only downloaded one Christmas theme which I absolutely loved then right after Christmas I went to one of the preloaded themes then used a pic for a wallpaper and will probably do that from now on.

I'm a newbie here so forgive me for popping in...lol.

Happy New Year everyone!!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
mikee1680

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

The battery life on my 9700 is REALLY good. I used to have a G1 and a Motorola Cliq. The battery life on Androids are terrible. I usually have to charge my phone 3 or 4x a day. Feels great not having to carry a charger around wherever I go.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
creepy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: at&t

I noticed my battery was draining really quick after I did a weather bug update. After updating weather bug it turned the "use my location" feature on. This was draining my battery really quick. I think it uses the GPS. I turned it off, now I get about 2-3 days on my battery.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT Wireless

I think an important factor would be the OS the device is currently using. The default OS with my ATT branded phone was real bad, batterywise...but the very latest beta I am using is really good, 5.0.0.545...and keeping all the other improvements..

In summary, the phone is as good as the software, and it appears that RIM is having success in getting the OS improved to a point, it helps with the power consumption too.

I do keep my phone constantly recharged though whenever I can, suppose to keep the battery nice and good..
Old 03-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

Phone calls are the biggest drain, but there are some apps out there that will help kill a battery. I was using the YouMail app for a few weeks and it drained the heck out of my battery with all it's polling (which I turned off and eventually deleted). Facebook is a known battery offender if you get a lot of alerts.

One app that has helped me with battery life is MailMinder. I didn't get it for that reason, but it cut down on so much spam email that my battery life was noticeably better.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
ast_ph

Carrier: Globe Telecom

Wirelessly posted

2G is more thab enough for IM, BBM, and emails. So I set my 9700 to 2G only when I'm out of office or home. My battery last me around 1.5 days, and our service provider's signal is not that strong.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
alpwhite46

Carrier: Rogers

I was about to post that I have a battery problem because I know other people with blackberries have much better life (not 9700's), where it lasts them for about 5-6 days!

Mine lasts about a 2 days... and i turn off wifi and bluetooth, but use 3G...

There really is no point of turning off 3G, then why even get the phone realistically.
Closed Thread