Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
costonbw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm speakerphone function through car stereo

Please Login to Remove!

Somebody stop me if this works on other Blackberries and I just didn't know it. I've had a 8703 for years and might have missed it... but this blew my mind today.

I was driving home today, listening to music by plugging my Storm into the AUX input on my car stereo, and I wondered what would happen if I left it plugged in and made a phone call. So I called my wife. While it was ringing I heard the ring coming through in the normal handset manner... so I hit the speakerphone button, and the ringing started coming through my car speakers. And when my wife answered she could hear me talking. She said she heard me 'very clearly'. I've had lots of problems with Bluetooth headsets in the past, either I couldn't understand what she was saying or I couldn't understand her.

Am I the only one who's new to this feature? Tomorrow I'm going to run out and buy an adapter to plug my wife's cell phone into her car stereo and see if it works.

Oh... BTW: we've had a huge iPhone vs Blackberry rivalry at work since the iPhone came out. I talked to one of the iPhone users from work today... apparently this doesn't work on the iPhone. I bet you guessed that I'm the primary instigator on the Blackberry side of the rivalry.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Well it's not a sugested method for using your speakerphone. But I am glad it works for you. However my car has bluetooth built-in to the radio and I use that, it's very much like using a bluetooth headset, except is using your B/T radio.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
costonbw

I know Bluetooth is 'sexier', but I've always had issues with the clarity of Bluetooth devices on my Blackberries. I've tried several different Bluetooth headsets and the Bluetooth connect in some friends cars, and they seem to drop the treble and I have a hard time understanding what people are saying. Patching it into the stereo seems to give better audio quality, and everyone seem to understand me fine, even though I'm just setting my phone on the console (Proclip.com doesn't have a holder for the Storm yet).

Last edited by costonbw; 12-18-2008 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Typo...
Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Yeah, same here waiting for Proclip to come out with a storm holder.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
hudres

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb Motorola Does

The Motorola T505 Bluetooth speakerphone allows the speaker phone to work through the FM radio. It works really well except for one catch: If you pick a channel that is in use you get interference. If you travel over a wide area, a channel that is good in one area may not be in another. I run into this a lot, so I only use the radio function when "toolin around town". 73
Old 12-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
costonbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Yeah, same here waiting for Proclip to come out with a storm holder.
I just posted this somewhere else, but I emailed them and they are planning on one...

Hello Brad:

Thank you for your interest in our ProClip holders. At this time
we do not have a holder for the BlackBerry Storm. We do
anticipate making one, however due to the large number of new
products we are developing, we cannot give a specific date as to
when this will be available. You will be notified by e-mail as soon
as the holder has been received at our warehouse and is ready
for online ordering.

Best Regards,

ProClip USA Customer Service
Toll free: +1 800-296-3212
Email: [email address]
Web: ProClip Mounting System *-*Choose Your Country

Have you emailed them? The more people who do the more likely we'll get one soon.

Last edited by costonbw; 12-20-2008 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 12-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
soupmeister

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell mobility

If you have had a Proclip for the 8800 series the Storm will work in it. A little loose but it's perfect if you have a skin in the Storm. On e pf the problems with the 8830 is I had to remove the skin if I wanted to use the car holder. This way with the Storm I won't have to.
BTW. I love the Storm.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
mindhead1

Model: 9350
PIN: N/A
Default Does the ProClip holder from the 8800 block the usb port on the Storm?

Does the ProClip holder from the 8800 block the usb port on the Storm?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
The Motorola T505 Bluetooth speakerphone allows the speaker phone to work through the FM radio. It works really well except for one catch: If you pick a channel that is in use you get interference. If you travel over a wide area, a channel that is good in one area may not be in another. I run into this a lot, so I only use the radio function when "toolin around town". 73
I just bought a T505 today from Circuit City ... I am really impressed with the device, I do have a little trouble finding a station that stay's clear throughout town, however the device works fantastic with telephone calls. Wow! .. I even used my storm as a mp3 player throughout the day, this device was probably one of the better choices that I have made as of recent.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
RCPCornell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

How was the MP3 playback. I am curious because any time I have come in contact with the dreaded fm transmitter, it hasn't always been the best of quality.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

MP3 Playback was fine for me, although it is no where near ideal fidelity. I would say it sounds slightly worse than a really strong FM Radio Station. There is a bit of static here and there, although it is very usable in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #12
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPCornell View Post
How was the MP3 playback. I am curious because any time I have come in contact with the dreaded fm transmitter, it hasn't always been the best of quality.
By the way ... Looking at your Signature, you wouldn't happen to be a Casting Crowns fan would you?
Closed Thread